Drop off fees for 1 way car rental

chrismch

I'll be driving from Tampa to Miami in January. I can find great daily car rates, but the drop off rate is more than the daily rental. We've rented cars for 1 way trips in FL in the past, but don't recall drop off fees. Is this the new norm?

We rented a car from POM to GSP last Easter Sunday and there was no drop off fee. I think Enterprise does charge a drop off fee. We used Avis at the port. Check other agencies. The issue might be Texas but just a guess. Also, if you are a Costco member, try their car rentals. They may not charge a drop off. The second driver is also included. Shop around.

Good luck.

Pearl

Your best bet is to compare rates among several agencies at your favorite travel web site. I have had some luck with www dot carrentals dot com

Even if you pay a bit more, National, Alamo and Thrifty offer free shuttles from the MIA airport location to POM, which saves you the "fun" of driving in downtown Miami traffic.

I tried the site JohninDC mentioned and each of their multiple companies showed a drop off fee in the $60 range within FL. Two years ago when I did the same route there were no drop off fees.

The best rate I saw on that site was around $10 per day for the car and then $110 for the fees and taxes.