NCL Gem cruise May 16

bskmom

Back to work and missing my cruise! I cruised with 2 of my kids and we had a great time! The staff was fantastic. I loved the ship. Here if anyone has any specific questions. I will try to answer them if I can. But anyone traveling on the Gem...you will have a great time!

PS My kids are 19 and 22 so Nickelodeon stuff, but I did see quite a bit of it going on.

Patti

I don't think we had a large population of kids to begin with. I noticed kids at the Nick events but there certainly weren't that many roaming around. Not sure what will happen as it gets later in the season and kids are out of school.

It was typical entertainment. The dance troupe/singers did two nights. They are good/talented, but you have to like that kind of thing.

Second City also did two nights. Some scripted and some not. Really depends on the night how well it goes. Had some laughs.

There was a Majika night Not sure what it was as we missed it.

There was the crew show which I always love.

The farewell show had a little bit of everything. It included the comedian and magician. So I got to see a little bit of them since I missed them. Dan Dan the CD was very good and always got laughs.

Overall typical entertainment. But good

Patti

Did you notice an unusual # of kids around with the Splash Academy limits?

Not sure if I should start my own thread, but I was also on the same cruise as the OP.

Being a parent of an eight year old we did participated in Splash Academy. According to the Splash Academy staff, during that week, there were 500+ kids on board. And yes, there were a limit of 76 at the kids club. So there were always long line up, and DS have been turned away twice, even though, we lined up 30 mins prior to the club opening.

Not sure if I should start my own thread, but I was also on the same cruise as the OP.

Being a parent of an eight year old we did participated in Splash Academy. According to the Splash Academy staff, during that week, there were 500+ kids on board. ....

500 kids on a May 16-23 sailing? :eek:

I'm just curious -- weren't schools still in session in the NE? What would account for so many kids? (We were aboard May 2-9, and there were very few kids.)

500 kids on a May 16-23 sailing? :eek:

I'm just curious -- weren't schools still in session in the NE? What would account for so many kids? (We were aboard May 2-9, and there were very few kids.)

School are still in session. I think it was a short week for the Canadian as May 18 was a national holiday for them. Also, I think the Kids Sail Free promo was also in effect that week. I recall prior to booking my cruise, the 2 weeks before mine, kids were only at 50% off.

Wow I didn't realize there were so many kids on board. It really didn't appear that way. Sad to hear about the limits. When my kids were younger I loved the kids academy. I wasn't really following this because my kids are older so not really sure about why the limit. Staff?, location/room availability? My kids always participated in their age appropriate program with no problems. Is this a Gem specific problem? Just curious now.

Hubby, my mom and I did the 5/16-5/23 cruise with 7 yo. We registered our daughter at Splash Academy but it always seemed to be super busy and my little one preferred to do other things. Ship was sold out and def a lot of kids onboard~

Was on the Gem 5/16-5/23 and had a great time. The staff is wonderful and

the ship is beautiful. We had a mini-suite and balcony...plenty of room and

pretty. The cruise directors, Dan Dan and Luz really made the trip an super

amazing experience. They are fabulous. I hope they stick around a while, I

plan to Cruise the Gem again next year.