Bahamas in January???

mrizer7773

Family of four, two being children 14 and 8, will be in Nassau for the first time in early January. From the looks of what I've read, the weather is too chilly for a beach day...?

Any experienced winter travelers that have been to Nassau around to give ideas?

Thanks!

Family of four, two being children 14 and 8, will be in Nassau for the first time in early January. From the looks of what I've read, the weather is too chilly for a beach day...?

Any experienced winter travelers that have been to Nassau around to give ideas?

Thanks!

The air temp will be pleasant, but the water may be chilly. Consider getting a day pass for a hotel with a heated pool to play it safe.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to the Bahamas a few times in January. The water temp is in the low 70's... too cold for me, but good enough for the kids. Swimming in the dead of winter was awesome for them! We went to Atlantis Waterpark one January and the air temperature was low 70's, and sunny. However, the park's water temp seemed warmer, and we had a great day at the park! I suspect resorts/hotels with pools will have warm temps too. You could consider a day pass at a hotel with a pool that also includes beach access. That way, if the beach is too cold, your kids could hit the pool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We have been to the Bahamas a few times in January. The water temp is in the low 70's... too cold for me, but good enough for the kids. Swimming in the dead of winter was awesome for them! We went to Atlantis Waterpark one January and the air temperature was low 70's, and sunny. However, the park's water temp seemed warmer, and we had a great day at the park! I suspect resorts/hotels with pools will have warm temps too. You could consider a day pass at a hotel with a pool that also includes beach access. That way, if the beach is too cold, your kids could hit the pool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Anyone with travel experience to Nassau suggest any resorts/hotels that are beachfront with a heated pool?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Balmoral Island beach break in mid January last time I was there...the water was totally fine. not warm like St Thomas but my husband was snorkeling and my kids were in the water for hours. The water isn't warm but it feels refreshing after the heat of the sun :-)

I have been there a few times in Jan and it was always nice enough for a "beach" day.....I have been in the water too pretty much each time....it was cool but still enjoyable.

I would still make plans for your day in Nassau as a "summer" day.......

I read of normal January water temperatures in the low 70s. Not sure that's warm enough. :)

Depending on the air temp, it should be alright to swim. This Floridian swims in our spring rivers, which stay at 72 degrees year round, so the low 70's water temps are going to be nice and refreshing. My grand kids are going with us in January and they have their snorkel gear ready.

Now, to find some nice reefs for these 7 and 4 year olds to explore. Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...