Passport expired, government shutdown

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:56 PM.
#1
Florida
81 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Just wanted to add that we are sailing June 18
#2
North of Boston
1,346 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
From what I have been reading and being told, the passport agency is not essential. I have looked at cnn dot com and they have some good info. I think the IRS will be shutting down too. Good note is the last shutdown only lasted 3 days so we can hope for the best.
What really sucks is 800000 people furlowed and also the military will not be getting checks or be able to get home. So anyone in a war zone is stuck and not getting paid. And they can not guarantee if people will get back pay for missing days
#3
Bradenton, FL
5,275 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
In the last government shutdown, all passport processing stopped. I assume it will if this shutdown occurs too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Carnival Magic - 8 Day Southern - June 3, 2017


Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel - 3/19/09 - 3/23/09
Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean - 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 9/11/10 - 9/16/10
Carnival Legend - Exotic Western Caribbean - 7/3/11 - 7/10/11
Carnival Imagination - Bahamas - 12/28/12-12/31/12
Carnival Victory - 5 Day Western Caribbean - 3/9/13-3/14/13
Carnival Victory - 4 Day Western Caribbean -3/14/13-3/18/13
Carnival Paradise - 4 Day Western Caribbean -7/31/14-8/4/14
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean -3/19/16-3/26/16

#5
Colorado
8,835 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I would call and reschedule immediately. The passport office will be closed but the shutdown will not go on forever. Make the appointment in midMay if you can and you should be fine.
#6
56,618 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Passport processing would cease during a government shutdown. However, as long as you're on a 'closed loop' cruise you still have the option of using her state issued birth certificate should you not be able to get the passport renewed.



Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mach
I cruise, therefore I am...
#7
Hampton Roads, VA
330 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by FLOTR
My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Just wanted to add that we are sailing June 18
Yes, that would be shutdown as well.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises:

Norwegian Pearl: Shiprocked 2016- 01/18-01/22/16
Norwegian Sky: Bahamas- 08/24-08/28/15
Norwegian Pearl: Shiprocked 2015-02/01/02/06/15
Carnival Elation: W. Caribbean- 03/03-03/08/14
MSC Poesia: Shiprocked 2012- 11/27-12/01/12
Carnival Sensation: Bahamas-12/18-12/22/11
Carnival Legend: W. Caribbean- 02/07-02/14/10- Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...333&highlight=




#8
Florida
81 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping those lawmakers can get it together and everything can go as planned.
#9
North of Boston
1,346 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by FLOTR
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping those lawmakers can get it together and everything can go as planned.
I am with you on this. This weekend is going to be interesting if it happens. Some museums and alot of parks as well as a festival in DC will not be open or happening
#10
Arnold MD
1,414 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by kbmeow
From what I have been reading and being told, the passport agency is not essential. I have looked at cnn dot com and they have some good info. I think the IRS will be shutting down too. Good note is the last shutdown only lasted 3 days so we can hope for the best.
What really sucks is 800000 people furlowed and also the military will not be getting checks or be able to get home. So anyone in a war zone is stuck and not getting paid. And they can not guarantee if people will get back pay for missing days
Ummm the worse part is that several hundred thousand that are considered essential will be working and will not be getting checks. Furloughed people won't be working and not getting checks so its just as bad on both sides.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Sunward II - 1988, Sea - 2001, Wind - 2003, Sun - 2008, Jewel - 2010, Star - 2012
Carnival Festivale - 1993, Liberty - 2014
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas - 1997, 1999 Majesty of the Seas 2002, 2006

#11
In the Mitten State!
257 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Host Mach
Passport processing would cease during a government shutdown. However, as long as you're on a 'closed loop' cruise you still have the option of using her state issued birth certificate should you not be able to get the passport renewed.



Can anyone please tell me what a "closed loop" cruise is?

My husband and I were and hopefully still are going to go next week to renew his passport and get one for me, for our trip on Legend in August going to Cozmel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman could we still apply if there is a shutdown or do we have wait?

Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




1990 ~NCL Mexican Riviera ~
1993 ~RCCL Bahamas ~ Empress of the Seas
1996 ~RCCL Monarch of the Seas ~ Southern Caribbean
1997 ~RCCL Majesty of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean
2000 ~RCCL Majesty of the Seas ~ Southern Caribbean
2003 ~ RCCL Brilliance of the Seas ~Circle the Caribbean
2011 ~CCL Legend ~ Western Caribbean
2012 ~CCL Glory ~ Eastern Caribbean
2014 ~ CCL Legend ~ Western Caribbean
2015 ~ CCL Pride ~ Eastern Caribbean
2016 ~ CCL Pride ~ Eastern Caribbean
#12
Waukesha WI
1,887 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by gtalum
In the last government shutdown, all passport processing stopped. I assume it will if this shutdown occurs too.
I actually just heard on the news this morning that the passport office WILL be affected with a government shut down. How much, they didn't say.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#13
Waukesha WI
1,887 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by crusin4funtimes
Can anyone please tell me what a "closed loop" cruise is?

My husband and I were and hopefully still are going to go next week to renew his passport and get one for me, for our trip on Legend in August going to Cozmel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman could we still apply if there is a shutdown or do we have wait?

Thank you.
I believe it is starting and finishing at the same port. Here is a quote from Customs.gov:

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

(12/03/2009)A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#14
Florida
81 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by gemsm
Ummm the worse part is that several hundred thousand that are considered essential will be working and will not be getting checks. Furloughed people won't be working and not getting checks so its just as bad on both sides.

Thanks for making me feel better! I'm glad I already paid for the cruise.
#15
In the Mitten State!
257 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by debster11
I believe it is starting and finishing at the same port. Here is a quote from Customs.gov:

Closed Loop Voyages- Frequently Asked Questions

(12/03/2009)A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.
Thank you,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




1990 ~NCL Mexican Riviera ~
1993 ~RCCL Bahamas ~ Empress of the Seas
1996 ~RCCL Monarch of the Seas ~ Southern Caribbean
1997 ~RCCL Majesty of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean
2000 ~RCCL Majesty of the Seas ~ Southern Caribbean
2003 ~ RCCL Brilliance of the Seas ~Circle the Caribbean
2011 ~CCL Legend ~ Western Caribbean
2012 ~CCL Glory ~ Eastern Caribbean
2014 ~ CCL Legend ~ Western Caribbean
2015 ~ CCL Pride ~ Eastern Caribbean
2016 ~ CCL Pride ~ Eastern Caribbean
#16
Florida
81 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Just got this e-mail:

Below is the full message from The Secretary.
Note:Please be assured that the Tampa VA Hospital will continue to provide the excellent health care our Veterans expect and deserve. Because VA health care is funded in advance, there are no expected interruptions or limitations to the health care we provide to our patients. Further guidance will be coming out later today, from Veterans Health Administration and the Under Secretary for Health’s Office. Thank you for your patience.
MEMORANDUM FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Throughout the discussions about funding for the rest of the fiscal year, the President has made it clear that he does not want a Government shutdown, and the Administration is willing and ready to work day and night to find a solution with which all sides can agree. Given the realities of the calendar, however, prudent management requires that we plan for an orderly shutdown should Congress be unable to pass a funding bill.
The President and I know that the uncertainty of the current situation puts Federal employees in a difficult position, and are very much aware that a shutdown would impose hardships on many employees as well as the groups and individuals our Department serves. As we approach the expiration of the current Continuing Resolution, our leadership team will provide you with updated information as soon as it becomes available. For now, I want to provide you with information on how the potential shutdown – should it occur – will impact Federal employees.
As soon as funding lapses, Federal departments and agencies will not be permitted to incur further financial obligations performing activities funded by annual appropriations, except those related to the orderly suspension of operations or performance of excepted activities. This means that some employees will be furloughed and unable to work. Our contingency planning for the potential funding lapse includes determining which Department functions are excepted from a furlough. Should it become necessary to implement our contingency plans, you will receive notice from your manager no later than Friday, April 8, 2011, regarding the designation of your position should a furlough happen. A formal furlough notice will follow should the Government shut down.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has created a document to address some of the questions that I know must be on your mind. The document can be accessed at:www.opm.gov/furlough2011/. OPM will provide additional pertinent information for Federal employees as the week progresses. And our leadership teamwill do our very best to provide clear information about the status of events as the week progresses.
Thanks to the hard work and dedication of all of you, our Department provides critical services to the American public. Your contributions touch people’s lives in so many significant ways, and I want you to know how deeply I appreciate your dedication and your expertise. Thank you for your continued service to the Department and the Nation.
Sincerely,
Eric K. Shinseki
#17
Maryland
1,375 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We're nearly in the same, um, boat. DD's passport expires in July and our cruise in in June. We were scheduled to go tomorrow but will not. Instead, we'll keep the passport and birth certificate instead of letting it possibly sit on some desk for who knows how long. Our destination is Bermuda, which does not have regulations that passports must be valid for any certain period of time after the visit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy











My cruise blog. Links to photos, Cruise Critic Member Reviews and Cruise Critic photo reviews
#18
USA
8,952 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Ouch, hope it works out for you. I'll have to remember never to wait till the last minute.

I think the chances of a shutdown for a long time is slim, too much disruption that will pressure the two parties to compromise.

Why is compromise not possible? You'd think rational and intelligent people can agree that a compromise is best. Doesn't anyone think for the future of this country versus their own selfish voters?

Originally posted by FLOTR
My DD's passport expires this month and I made an appointment a month ago to get her a new one on 4/9. Does anyone know if the processing will be slowed down if there is a govt. shutdown? I work for the federal govt. but I am considered essential staff. I have heard that staff processing passports are not considered essential. Not sure if I should cancel the appointment and just sail with her birth certificate.

Just wanted to add that we are sailing June 18
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: 1999, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2015 Disney: 2000 Carnival:2005
#19
SoCal, USA
10,609 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Fox news listed passports as one of the things that would stop being done by the Federal Gov in the event of a shutdown. For the most part, other governments stop taking passports when they are in their last 6 months, so her passport was getting a little old anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Radiance 5-5-17
Radiance 5-17-17
Radiance 5-26-17
Explorer 9-15-2017
Explorer. 9-22-2017
Explorer. 9-29-2017
Brilliance 10-28-2017
Brilliance 11-09-2017
Ruby 1-20-2018 (Love Boat time)
Adventure 3-10-2018
Adventure 3-17-2018
Radiance 5-3-2018


Clint and Zandra
Eat Sleep Cruise
Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
PC