Grumpy or legitimate gripe?

badger1829

Not sure whether I am just grumpy or have a legitimate gripe. Of course I think I have a legitimate gripe. We are booked on a December 2012 sailing on the Westerdam. Since we booked last January, I have been periodically purchasing cruise credits on the HAL website. I just found out that my DH has been doing the same. Since we are purchasing these from the HAL website and not through our travel agent, I contacted HAL to find out the total cruise credits we currently have. You cannot find the total anywhere on the HAL website. Anyway, I spoke with Eileen who has to be one of the rudest people ever employed by HAL. She informed me that she, under no circumstances, could give me that info and I needed to call my TA or I could just wait and find out when I got onboard. I explained I had not purchased the cruise credits through my TA but directly from the HAL website. Good old Eileen just again said "I told you to call your TA". I think it is ridiculous that 1) HAL does not post this on your booking info (Princess does by the way) and 2) HAL makes you call your TA for information about purchases made directly from their website. This isn't our first HAL cruise, but it well may be our last. Thoughts from the CC group please!

Just hoping to make you smile...

I spoke with Eileen who has to be one of the rudest people ever employed by HAL

:prut row that's my name...I'll apologize for her!

Good old Elaine just again said "I told you to call your TA".

Maybe she has a split personality? :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Back to your post. It would make sense to me, IrishEileen, that HAL would/should discuss this type of detail with the pax ordering online like you did, but, I know they do have rules about having the pax TA handle and the details.

I would let you do it! LOL

I ran into this a couple of years ago, when I purchased credit ahead and several people purchased some for me.

The first HAL Customer Service Rep would not tell me even how much the total was, saying that they were gifts. A day or two later I called again and got a different CSR and got the total and breakdown of different credits. The only difference is that I book direct with HAL.

HAL seems to take the responsibility of the TA seriously

Having said that, many times you can get the information you need by talking to a different HAL rep.

Good Luck

You haven't kept track yourselves? I've received confirmation emails from HAL for every purchase I've made and I immediately move them over to a separate folder so I can keep all info, confirmations and receipts for this cruise together. Errors happen, both human and computer. You should keep track of everything yourself and when you go on your cruise take copies of all confirmations and receipts so if there is a discrepancy you have proof to dispute it.

I am surprised HAL can't give you the info though. I would try calling again. You should get someone different answering and may get a different answer.

Just hoping to make you smile...

I spoke with Eileen who has to be one of the rudest people ever employed by HAL

:prut row that's my name...I'll apologize for her!

Good old Elaine just again said "I told you to call your TA".

Maybe she has a split personality? :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Back to your post. It would make sense to me, IrishEileen, that HAL would/should discuss this type of detail with the pax ordering online like you did, but, I know they do have rules about having the pax TA handle and the details.

I would let you do it! LOL

Lol Irish Eileen...I corrected my error on the name....I was a bit irritated!

You haven't kept track yourselves? I've received confirmation emails from HAL for every purchase I've made and I immediately move them over to a separate folder so I can keep all info, confirmations and receipts for this cruise together. Errors happen, both human and computer. You should keep track of everything yourself and when you go on your cruise take copies of all confirmations and receipts so if there is a discrepancy you have proof to dispute it.

I am surprised HAL can't give you the info though. I would try calling again. You should get someone different answering and may get a different answer.

I kept track....DH hasn't got a clue. God love him!

I can see the cruise credits I bought for an upcoming cruise on the HAL website by going to:

My Account

Reservations

View My Itinerary

I hope this will work for you too!

Kathy

Rule #1 - take your email confirmations with you to make sure you get them all

Rule #2 - take a look at your joint email confirmations and you should know what you bought - or look at your cc statements

Rule #3 - if you're not happy with the first answer you get out of Seattle - call back - with luck you will get someone else - and someone more helpful:D

People are only people especially in call centres or whatever - don't sweat the small stuff - call back and/or send HAL an email asking for a confirmation of all of the obc's purchased for your booking number.

but another call will probably be quicker:)

Nothing bothers anyone more than a rude/abrupt person on the phone - btw if she was rude I would have asked if the call was being recorded. If it was fine - I would be calling and/or emailing. If not, they have some employee # they have to give if asked. This lady needs some coaching. It's not what she didn't do or did do - it's how she said it:rolleyes:

You should have gotten e-mails confirming these purchases.

We get e-mails for everything we purchase.

Now -- how did you buy this shipboard credit? Credit Card? You can always go online or call your credit card company and see how much you have spent with HAL.

Yep, I can certainly do that. I just think it is absurd that HAL would not tell me when I called and wanted me to call my TA about purchases not made through my TA but directly from HAL website

I can see the cruise credits I bought for an upcoming cruise on the HAL website by going to:

My Account

Reservations

View My Itinerary

Kathy

Kathy - it only shows that you bought them - I've never seen the $$ amount here - nor for my beverage cards - not to barge in - but there is no way I have seen to prove what you have bought in this spot. Why I have to bring all those emails.

Hal has advised me that only the first purchase shows (and not the dollar value)

My Account

Reservations

View My Itinerary

Kathy

Not the total amt, just the checkmarks

Yep, I can certainly do that. I just think it is absurd that HAL would not tell me when I called and wanted me to call my TA about purchases not made through my TA but directly from HAL website

Didn't your DH and you get e-mail confirmations?

You should have - you need to talk to a supervisor at HAL as well if you didn't get confirmation e-mails.

Kathy - it only shows that you bought them - I've never seen the $$ amount here - nor for my beverage cards - not to barge in - but there is no way I have seen to prove what you have bought in this spot. Why I have to bring all those emails.

Hal has advised me that only the first purchase shows (and not the dollar value)

Kazu, you are absolutely correct

In all seriousness - if my DH ordered OBC's (knowing him) he would delete the emails to keep it a secret. I put them in my HAL file, but not everyone does this. some of the emails could be deleted or whatever. Finding out that you both were ordering (although I would know what I have ordered if DH asked) could be very discomboobalating.

While I keep track, I do think that HAL should be able to tell you what your accumulated total is and send a confirming email. JMVHO:)

<SNIP>

While I keep track, I do think that HAL should be able to tell you what your accumulated total is and send a confirming email. JMVHO:)

Although, it appears you'll have to ask your TA to ask them and forward you the info. Sigh... :confused:

Although, it appears you'll have to ask your TA to ask them and forward you the info. Sigh... :confused:

doesn't make a lot of sense does it? the orders are placed on the HAL website according to the OP - so why should the TA need to be involved:confused:

I'm betting a call and getting a different person might get a different response :) It's worked for me before (not for this - but for other things)

Kazu, you are absolutely correct

once in a while:o:p and yes, I still think that they should either be able to help and/or resend all the emails - I find it hard to believe that there isn't some file there in HAL land attached to your booking number with the info.

That - or fix the itinerary so that it actually shows the dollar amounts - it would make life easy as I buy a bit of OBC here and there - not all at once:)

Since you don't have the answer, and have to do something else to get it, why not just call the TA and have him/her find out? It would seem to be the easiest way to get the info, which was the objective.

When you book a cruise through a TA, the TA owns the booking. The TA is getting paid to run interference and answer all your questions. Why not let the TA earn the pay?

Archived