Grumpy or legitimate gripe?

badger1829

This is an example of one reason I don't use a TA.

I would be grumpy and annoyed if I had to go through a third party to get info which was my business to know. It is HAL's firm policy to not speak with guests who have booked using a TA. As mentioned above, that is what the TA is being paid to do.

Hopefully, your TA is efficient and available and will seek the information for you.

Please let us know how you make out.

Unfortunately, some people are hard nosed about following the rules to the letter. Maybe Eileen had recently been "burned" by doing otherwise ... though that doesn't excuse rudeness unless you were rude to her first.

try completing the online check in. Once you complete it, at the bottom of the page should be a personalized itinerary. Is it listed there?
As others have noted, that doesn't show the total amount. Even the emails don't show the amount of each purchase clearly. They will show something like $100 (3) instead of $300 because there's no option to purchase one $300 OBC on the site - just $5, $25, $50, or $100. If you done several of these, you have to save all the emails.

You don't say who you spoke to at HAL. I have gotten a lot farther, and gotten actual, credible information when I have spoken to the folks in Shore Excursions in Seattle. I have to wonder if you contacted them or used just the main number. The reservation assistants can't be bothered generally and are full of misinformation in my experience.

If you haven't yet tried shore excursions, that is where I would inquire first. They speak to cruisers all the time, even they are booked through a TA.

I just went to look for a phone number. It appears they are no longer broken down into departments. That is a shame, as there used to be a way to dial them directly, now it appears you are funneled into one line for everything. I wish you luck, makes me wish I was more careful with my paperwork as I have paid for cruise credits, never thought I'd need to prove it again, but that may be a possibility.

Hope this helps.

We have used a local TA twice, she is at best, marginally competent, but as we have been able to get some extra bennies we booked through her. We do ALL the planning, then just call her to complete the booking. When she sends us the confirmation, she has, both times, also sent us HER copy of the booking, that shows how much she has made on the sale, and let me tell you, it is a BUNDLE. All of that is money that HAL is not making on your booking. This is one reason that if you book through a TA, HAL expects the TA to handle the details, and are quite insistent about deflecting questions back to the TA, so that they earn the money that they receive from HAL.

I never have a problem speaking to anyone at HAL and use an outside TA. You need to know who to call. Don't call a Sales Rep. Call Ship Services. If you are interested in Excursions, contact the Excursions department. If you need to follow-up on your Carnival stock credits ask for the World Cruise department.

I've had mixed responses calling HAL direct in terms of information, but they've always been polite. I booked all 3 recent HAL cruises through the same TA. i booked the Alaska cruise during a really great sale. Un fortunately, my TA was in the middle of moving and setting up to work from home. She got my email asking her to make the booking and she said she would. But I didn't get the standard confirmation right away, as I always have before. I was itchy about it because I wanted one of those aft corners. The next day was Sat, and my TA was in transit, so I called HAL. The woman I spoke to was very nice. She said she was not allowed to talk to me because I had gone through a TA. Then she said, "Call your agent on Monday. I think you'll be happy." So she found a way to let me know I got a booking. And I WAS happy on Monday--great price, great cabin.

Another time I was booked through the TA, I tried to book Pinnacle or a tour online and had a problem. I called HAL and the person I spoke to just took care of it, no questions about my TA.

I suspect they stick to the rule more tightly for bookings, since there's money at stake and they don't want to be accused of cutting out a TA.

We have used a local TA twice, she is at best, marginally competent, but as we have been able to get some extra bennies we booked through her. We do ALL the planning, then just call her to complete the booking. When she sends us the confirmation, she has, both times, also sent us HER copy of the booking, that shows how much she has made on the sale, and let me tell you, it is a BUNDLE. All of that is money that HAL is not making on your booking. This is one reason that if you book through a TA, HAL expects the TA to handle the details, and are quite insistent about deflecting questions back to the TA, so that they earn the money that they receive from HAL.

I've also had a TA who sent me both the Guest Confirmation copy along with the agency copy showing the commission and override. I think she was new, as it has never happened again.

I've booked all my cruises with a travel agent but that's where my relationship with them ends. I always call HAL to place my in-room beverage orders and purchase excursions from their website myself. Any time I wanted to change something or had a question, I callled HAL and they were more than happy to help me out. The only time I get my travel agent involved is if I need to make a change to my reservation.

I suppose I've been very fortunate to have gotten some very nice and helpful HAL reps on the phone who were willing to "break the rules." It's just plain wierd that HAL's on shore "rules" apply to some but not all. Guess we shouldn't wonder why it's the same way on their ships. ;)

Just speculating but wondering........

Is it possible it is more stringently enforced when there are certain TA's involved vs others? Maybe some of the major Agencies give them a hard time if they speak with the clients so they tread carefully with those folks? Is that a possibility?

I am now waiting (going on 3rd month) for our pinnacle reservations to show on our itinerary. They did at first, then a price drop happened and the changed our booking number. I did a little flipping out, but got confirmation e-mails sent. Still not on itinerary. Hopefully we will be ok. We're not purchasing anything else prior to cruise because we don't trust the experience.

I hope you can get it worked out!

PeaceLoveCruise

I think Sail's is right about Hal responses to person using a TA's. Hal employee's are instructed to only talk to your TA's, if your using an outside TA.

I have another question, even if your DH destroyed the receipts from buying the OBC, wouldn't he have proof thru a credit card company or with his checking account?

I am now waiting (going on 3rd month) for our pinnacle reservations to show on our itinerary. They did at first, then a price drop happened and the changed our booking number. I did a little flipping out, but got confirmation e-mails sent. Still not on itinerary. Hopefully we will be ok. We're not purchasing anything else prior to cruise because we don't trust the experience.

I hope you can get it worked out!

PeaceLoveCruise

It's been 60+ days & you're only waiting & hoping? If I may ask, what are you waiting for? And if it never shows, what will you do then? You could be on-board the ship w/no Pinnacle reso.

Might I suggest you call or e-mail your TA (if you used one) or contact HAL directly. I think it's past time to be a bit more pro-active. Surely you have proof of credit card payment by now.

There's also a security issue - since you didn't book thru HAL they may be reluctant to give the info to anyone except the TA who did the booking. I certainly wouldn't want any odd person to be able to call and see what my OBC total was...

Get your TA involved, they should be hsappy to sort this out for you.

This isn't our first HAL cruise, but it well may be our last. Thoughts from the CC group please!

Is this the hill you want to die on ? You'll actually consider not cruising on HAL again because of this ?

It will all be resolved at some point, probably sooner than later, and you'll find out the answer and all will be well.

Please don't let Eileen/Elaine get the best of you. :)

Just speculating but wondering........

Is it possible it is more stringently enforced when there are certain TA's involved vs others? Maybe some of the major Agencies give them a hard time if they speak with the clients so they tread carefully with those folks? Is that a possibility?

Certainly something to consider

Kathy - it only shows that you bought them - I've never seen the $$ amount here - nor for my beverage cards - not to barge in - but there is no way I have seen to prove what you have bought in this spot. Why I have to bring all those emails.

Hal has advised me that only the first purchase shows (and not the dollar value)

Hi kazu (and badger 1829) - the $$ amount of both my purchased cruise credit and my beverage card is on my itinerary. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. I bought the cruise from HAL directly without using a TA.

Kathy

I bought the cruise from HAL directly without using a TA.

Therein lies the difference. When you book directly through HAL, you retain ownership of the booking, and can see all the information that the TA would otherwise see.

Hi kazu (and badger 1829) - the $$ amount of both my purchased cruise credit and my beverage card is on my itinerary. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. I bought the cruise from HAL directly without using a TA.

Kathy

Interesting Kathy - thanks. My dollar amounts don't show - yes i used a TA but I did buy my beverage cards and obc's on the HAL website - when I asked HAL about this previously they said none of them showed and to bring my emails. Looks like there have been more changes:confused:

I agree with you. I think it's ridiculous that you cannot see the amount you have purchased ahead of time online, and even more ridiculous you can't call and find out what that amount is when you want! Talk about HAL not being customer-centric.

Furthermore, I hope that you print out receipts for all of your purchases and bring them with you. Otherwise you might find that they "forgot" to credit you the proper amount once you check into the ship.

I don't know what HAL's focus is, but it certainly is not on keeping customers happy.

Okay, I booked through at TA but booked my shore excursions, beverage card, and Pinnacle reservations online. When I look at my itinerary, on the first day, it states "$50 non-alcoholic beverage card". I'l lbe buying some OBC (as soon as I get my expense check :D) and will look again then. So, at least for the beverage card, it shows what I paid.

I booked with Hal direct online and have purchased multiple OBC's and all it shows is the dollar amount of one unit (in this case $100) but not the total amount or the number of units purchased. I had to call them to verify the total amount credited (and yes, I do have the e-mailed receipts :D )

Interesting Kathy - thanks. My dollar amounts don't show - yes i used a TA but I did buy my beverage cards and obc's on the HAL website - when I asked HAL about this previously they said none of them showed and to bring my emails. Looks like there have been more changes:confused:

Could it be that your dollar amt shows because you only made one purchase? My itinerary shows one OBC for 50.00 but that is far from the total purchased. According to HAL, the only show the first one

Archived