Sea Princess in Dry Dock

English Rose

I have just driven right up to the Sea Princess who is in dry dock at Southampton. She looked quite strange without any life-boats and a few bits and pieces missing. I presume she won't be here for too long. Glad I saw her!

Did you get any photos? Does it look like they got most of the work done? Must be fun to see a ship in drydock...Is the Movie Screen being added yet?I haven't heard anything about it... I can't wait to see what changes may have been done after the refit.Hope the time goes by soon so we have something to see.

Globalizer

That blue object, forward, starboard side. Is that a container? (Color looks like a Nedloyd P&O container.) Whatever it is, it is pretty obvious in your first four snaps, but not in the last one.

Cheryl - any sign of the MUTS big screen, which supposedly was to be installed at the aft pool?

I hope you mean center/main pool? There is no room aft for the screen. Or at least I don't think there is room.

Cat-nick

Yes - they can do a ship in two weeks. They are very organized, and many of the structural changes (if any) are pre-fabbed, and then hoisted aboard.

When we took last voyage of Sky Princess as a Princess ship, San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00, some of the construction workers boarded in NewZealand, and started preparatory work while still enroute to Sydney. When we docked in Sydney, before we had disembarked, they had already hoisted a large pre-fab addition to the stern Lido area aboard, and were welding it in place.

Much of the carpeting to be replaced was being ripped out as we were docking!

Very organized, time-wise, my opinion, with little distraction/inconvenience to passengers.

It certainly looks like a container, or possibly two. But these aren't my pictures - I've simply seen them on another message board.

I think that two weeks is probably ample for what they're doing to her to change her back to Sea Princess. I'd expect that most of the changes are cosmetic or superficial.

Thanks to the poster who put the interesting pictures of the Adonia up here. I'm sure there are quite a few of us who would love to see more pics as the work progresses. Could anyone go by later in the week and get more pictures?

mr green

Old is relative - and a ship at about 10yrs is not old - in ship years that is adolescence.

15 yrs perhaps is mature, but a ship isn't old until the barnacles on her bottom are about 30yrs (and that is for cruise liners - cargo ships and naval ships often go longer).

Driving past my Son said he saw the screen, but I was driving and couldn't stop so I can't be sure. I will try and go again during the week if I get the opportunity! With camera....

Cheryl, thanks for the info. I'm sailing on her July 23rd. Can't wait! Would love to see any pics you have time to get & post!

Interestingly though the Princess site webcam is not. :confused:
That's simply because krooozcams has "hacked" the URL of the Sea Princess webcam which is live, but the Princess website still just has the placeholder image on the relevant page.

That's simply because krooozcams has "hacked" the URL of the Sea Princess webcam which is live, but the Princess website still just has the placeholder image on the relevant page.

:confused: I guess I'm in over my head....

Archived