My Vegan Experience on Pearl 10/21/12

breezer

This was my 21st cruise, 16th on NCL, and 5th time on the Pearl, but it was my first cruise as a vegan. I was fairly certain that the buffet wouldn't be a problem for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, however, I was really concerned about what I could eat in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants. I had envisioned eating salads and beans at the buffet all week long.

About a week before the cruise, I had read on Cruise Critic that someone with special diet requirements should notify the access desk at least three weeks before the cruise. With only one weet to sailing, I emailed the access desk and really didn't expect an answer or anything else. Well I was wrong.

Shortly after I arrived in my cabin I saw the message light flashing on the phone, but thinking it was my friends who said they called my cabin, I just dismissed it. I didn't know anyone else on the ship, so who would be calling me?

For dinner the first night we all decided to go to the Summer Palace. Thank goodness for that decision. Had we gone anywhere else I might have had a totally different experience. The waiter went around the table taking dinner orders and when he got to me I explained that I was vegan and and asked if I could talk with the maitre d'. That's when I met my vacation hero, Mr. Junior Taylor. (Yes, I did fill out a vacation hero card for him at the end of the cruise.) He came to my table and said, "Mrs.____, did you get my phone message that I left for you in your cabin?" I told him that I didn't get the message and thought to myself why the heck didn't I check when I saw the flashing light on the phone. Anyway, he helped me decide on something to eat on the first night...a favorite of mine, pasta with garlic and olive oil, and a garden salad with a splash of vinegar and oil. I had fruit for dessert.

I left the Summer Palace without connecting with Junior about the next day's dinner. Not to worry, shortly after we left, he tracked me down in the photo gallery to ask me what i would like the next day! We decided on a vegetable stir fry with tofu. I never had tofu before, but was willing to give it a try. The stir fry was very good, but after eating about half of the tofu, I decided tofu wasn't for me, but ate the rest of the stir fry picking around the tofu. With every dinner I had a green salad and fruit for dessert.

Every morning Junior could be found in the Garden Cafe. He noticed me seated there the next morning and came over to ask me about that everning's meal. I told him that we were going to Cagney's, and he asked if I knew what I was goint to eat. I said no. It just so happened that the maitre d' for Cagney's was within his sight there at the Garden Cafe and he called her over. Junior introduced me to her and explained to her that I was vegan and going to Cagney's that evening. He asked if there was something there that I could eat. She said, "Yes, of course, we'll take care of you." Upon arriving at Cagney's the maitre d' was there where you check in for your table. She said, "Oh, you're the vegan?" Never saw her again until my family and friends were almost finished with their desserts and she came by and asked if I wanted a fruit plate for dessert. Okay, I didn't want her to hold my hand throughout the meal, but she was pretty much no help at all. At least nothing that was evident to me. Some communication with the chef ahead of time would have been helpful. The waiter just handed me a menu and asked, "What do you want?" I explained again that I was vegan and I see a vegetarian selection on the menu, but there are ingredients in there that I cannot have. The waiter was the go-between with the chef. The chef made me what looked like a vegetable stew. It was good, but there wasn't any protein in the dish. Maybe a few mushrooms or beans could have been thrown in. I didn't think of asking until after I finished eating and realized that I was still hungry. If I had to do it again, I would probably skip Cagney's, but this time I was with people who wanted to go there.

Moving on to day four... in the morning I saw Junior in Garden Cafe. I called him over and said that we were going back to Summer Palace that evening. Again he was quick to help me with my meal for that evening. I had fried rice with vegetables; it was excellent. Before we left the dining room that evening, Junior came to our table and was talking with all of us. My husband asked about a dessert that is no longer on the menu. At first Junior just said that it was no longer on the menu, and then he said that he would see what he could do. He asked if we would be in Summer Palace the next evening, but we told him that we were planning on going to La Cucina. He asked if we had reservations and asked me if I knew what I was going to eat. No we hadn't made reservations, and no I didn't have anything planned for my meal. Here's the awesome part, he gets on his phone and calls La Cucina maitre d', makes reservations for us, plans my meal, AND has the dessert that my husband asked about served to all of us in La Cucina!!! What other maitre d' would do that?!! In La Cucina my entree was served about 10 minutes later than the rest of the table, and good thing I like my pasta al dente. It was pretty close to being undercooked. I had spaghetti with tomato sauce and a salad. Doesn't sound too exciting, but it was good.

It was a six night cruise and on the last day we saw Junior again in the Garden Cafe. I called him over to give him a tip and to express my appreciation for helping to make it so easy for me to plan my meals. He asked if my meal was planned for that evening, and I told him that we had a certificate to use in LeBistro. Out comes his phone, he spoke with I assume the maitre d' there and my meal was taken care of. I was served grilled vegetables that were layered and topped with a grilled Portobello. The presentation was so gorgeous that I didn't want to cut into it. I just kep saying how pretty it was. It was one of the best meals of the week.

Everyday for breakfast I had the same thing that I have at home...Cheerios and banana with almond milk. I brought onto the ship three quarts of almond milk that you buy off the shelf, and kept it chilled in the refrigerator in my cabin. For lunch, I sometimes had a salad with a wide variety of toppings from which to choose. Also liked their veggie burgers with some french fries.

I had a really good experience. I wish that every vegan cruising could have a Junior Taylor helping them. He said that he was just doing his duty, but I think that he went way beyond what he needed to do. I am amazed with his personal service and dedication to duty that he displayed. I am still so impressed. He is awesome, simply the best.

My husband and I are Pescetarian (only eat fish, but do eat dairy)... and although it's not nearly as limiting as vegan, it's sometimes a challenge, so I can only imagine how hard it must be for vegans! I hope those in charge at NCL see your comments and reward accordingly- I'm glad he was so helpful for your cruise.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I remember your posts last month asking for info before your cruise. I'm a vegetarian (12th year now) and keep pushing off my quest to be vegan because I love cheese so much. :rolleyes:

You mentioned that the vegetable stew you were served didn't have any protein in it? What were you expecting for protein? (Not attacking or being sarcastic, as I know it's hard to read tone in the written word; I'm smiling as I type this because I'm honestly curious what type of protein they might have added for you).

Also, the veggie burgers that they serve -- I thought those were vegetarian, not vegan. Am I wrong?

Almond milk is the base in my daily morning smoothie. Love that stuff! Thank you for the idea of bringing that on board and keeping in the fridge in our cabin. It never even occurred to me to do that. :)

Junior Taylor sounds like a vegan superhero to me, and I'm glad you had a really good eating experience aboard the Pearl. Thanks again for sharing the details!

Wow.. you're vegan and had never had tofu before?????

Thanks for the info, btw. We are vegetarian (won't eat anything that had a mother) - but won't make any special arrangements.

I've only been vegan for a year and a half. Just didn't like the way it looks so I never tried it.

Admittedly, tofu looks a little disturbing sometimes, and if it's done wrong, it's like eating soggy kleenex.

My preferred method of cooking it right now is on skewers, bbq'd, after marinading in soy sauce and garlic. (Extra Firm).

Don't give up on it yet! Though not particularly healthy, try something like salt'n'pepper tofu deep fried at a chinese restaurant. Or there are some wonderful Thai tofu dishes as well.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I remember your posts last month asking for info before your cruise. I'm a vegetarian (12th year now) and keep pushing off my quest to be vegan because I love cheese so much. :rolleyes:

You mentioned that the vegetable stew you were served didn't have any protein in it? What were you expecting for protein? (Not attacking or being sarcastic, as I know it's hard to read tone in the written word; I'm smiling as I type this because I'm honestly curious what type of protein they might have added for you).

Also, the veggie burgers that they serve -- I thought those were vegetarian, not vegan. Am I wrong?

Almond milk is the base in my daily morning smoothie. Love that stuff! Thank you for the idea of bringing that on board and keeping in the fridge in our cabin. It never even occurred to me to do that. :)

Junior Taylor sounds like a vegan superhero to me, and I'm glad you had a really good eating experience aboard the Pearl. Thanks again for sharing the details!

I just thought some kind of bean (e.g. kidney beans) or portobello mushrooms would have added some protein.

I knew I was taking a chance on the veggie burgers. Might have had egg as a binder.

I'm fairly new at this and doing the best I can. Can tell you I feel great and lost 52 pounds.

I just thought some kind of bean (e.g. kidney beans) or portobello mushrooms would have added some protein.

I knew I was taking a chance on the veggie burgers. Might have had egg as a binder.

I'm fairly new at this and doing the best I can. Can tell you I feel great and lost 52 pounds.

Wow! Fantastic news about your weight loss, and not only that, you are overall a more healthy person by ridding your body of the animal toxins and all of the disease associated with that. Congratulations on taking that step!

Veggie burgers are usually vegetarian, not vegan, but ya never know. I happen to like the vegan burger made by Quorn. In fact, their entire line of food is my favorite as it's all non-soy, but it seems that most resorts/ships use Gardenburger or Boca brand...very 1990s old school vegetarian before there were a ton of choices out there...and a few make their own types of awesomeness. Oh well.

Beans would have been a great addition to your vegetable stew...and then maybe add some cumin and chili powder for a chili flavor.

Glad to see you had Junior Taylor working for you!

Thanks so much for posting this review! I am a vegetarian of 12 years (eating nothing that kills the animal) and first time on NCL.

What is the email address you used? Is it for all ships or just the Pearl?

We are on the Star and I would like to contact someone ahead of time because I love soups and would like to be able to have veggie soups and cream based soup (broccoli, mushroom etc) without any beef or chicken broth.

My niece will be 16 next month and has been vegan for a year. My love and support of her takes us to some specific vegetarian/vegan restaurants and I have had some incredible meals. The food is so fresh and pure.

She wants a cruise for her 18th birthday, like I gave her brother. So this is great news. Salads every day gets very old.

Thanks for the good info on this thread.

Been a vegetarian for close to 20 years now...my very favorite thing on the Pearl were the vegetable dumplings at the Lotus Garden...yummy! Other than that, I was not at all impressed with the food on the Pearl. Had much better vegetarian food on Carnival.

Thanks so much for posting this review! I am a vegetarian of 12 years (eating nothing that kills the animal) and first time on NCL.

What is the email address you used? Is it for all ships or just the Pearl?

We are on the Star and I would like to contact someone ahead of time because I love soups and would like to be able to have veggie soups and cream based soup (broccoli, mushroom etc) without any beef or chicken broth.

The e-mail address for all ships is accessdesk@ncl.com . Their phone number is 1-866-584-9756. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for posting your experience. My daughter is vegan and has been for several years. She has not been on a cruise with me since she went vegan. So it is good to know they will work with you. She is one of the oddest vegans though because she does not like salad. She loves vegetables just not lettuces. The secret to using tofu is to make sure you press the liquid out of it. I make a great morning scramble with tofu.:D

Thanks for the review!!!

The one thing that worried me was the potential lack of protein offered at mealtimes. The veggie stew could have easily been amended with some beans or mushrooms to make it a complete meal.

I got excited for a moment when you said you had almond milk with your cereal. I LOVE almond milk - it's what I use at home. But, then I saw that you brought your own.

I love tofu... There are different "firmness" levels for tofu and you have to get the right one for what you are making. You do have to be sure to have it dried/strained. A big thing that makes tofu good tasting is what you marinate it in. Plain tofu is rather, well, generic. Marinate it and it becomes something different - it definitely takes on the flavors of the marinade.

Breezer, I guess you don't know too much about being a vegan. Pasta is made with eggs. Not exactly a vegan staple. I am pretty shocked you haven't eaten tofu - it is a staple for many vegans. Mushrooms don't contain protein. Nuts and legumes (including soybean) are the main sources of protein in a vegan diet.

As an FYI most of the dining room staff really don't know about a true "vegan" diet. Sauces, condiments and additives may contain animal protein. It can be a tough diet to follow, especially if you haven't done enough research.

My Mum was a vegan and I grew up eating tofu, legumes and every single flippin' vegetable under the sun. I know that protein from many vegetables is really not enough for humans. I personally modified my diet when I was pregnant.

As an aside, I do know a few chubby vegans. Chips and beer can be part of the diet as well ;)

Drain extra firm tofu and cube. Marinate in soy sauce and teriyaki (you can add ginger too if you like it). Heat a non-stick skillet on high, add Pam and add the tofu. Cook for a few minutes until browned and add to stir fry...yummy!

Yup--not a vegan..but love stir fry ...often make this...as you -marinade in soy......but also add Chinese Five Spice and some sesame oil...with ginger..then lots of veggies (cut in sticks)..and serve over rice..:)

Tofu is also great dranined.pressed and marinated and then baked...!

Breezer, I guess you don't know too much about being a vegan. Pasta is made with eggs. Not exactly a vegan staple. I am pretty shocked you haven't eaten tofu - it is a staple for many vegans. Mushrooms don't contain protein. Nuts and legumes (including soybean) are the main sources of protein in a vegan diet.

As an FYI most of the dining room staff really don't know about a true "vegan" diet. Sauces, condiments and additives may contain animal protein. It can be a tough diet to follow, especially if you haven't done enough research.

My Mum was a vegan and I grew up eating tofu, legumes and every single flippin' vegetable under the sun. I know that protein from many vegetables is really not enough for humans. I personally modified my diet when I was pregnant.

As an aside, I do know a few chubby vegans. Chips and beer can be part of the diet as well ;)

As I said before, I'm fairly new at this and doing the best I can. I never claimed to be an expert, but I do know that not all pastas are made with eggs....and mushrooms do contain some protein. Please don't bother to respond if you are going to come back attacking.

I was on the transatlantic crossing on the Epic from October 19-November 3, 2012. This was my first cruise on NCL as a vegan, although I have had great experiences on Princess. Let me just say that they did a Great job. The first night I went to the Taste dining room, and the server said they could take care of me....made a very tasty veggie stir fry, garden salad, and fruit plate for desert. That evening, I spoke with Maitre d' Joel, and we created a dinner plan for the following evening. (The OP is correct, as a vegan you can always find plenty for breakfast and lunch at the Garden Cafe). Some nights I just said, "have the chef come up with something; I'm not picky." Other nights I made my own recommendations. Most nights I had fruit for desert, but a couple of nights they made a special vegan rice pudding that was very good. A couple of nights I had a wonderful Portobella mushroom quesadilla. Yummy!

Also ate one night in Cagney's and another in le Bistro. Spoke with the chef at each restaurant a couple of hours in advance of dining time, and they came up with some marvelous creations.

NCL does a wonderful job accommodating special dietary needs. Two thumbs up!!

Great trip on the Pride of America in Hawaii a few weeks ago and no problem in finding vegan food. Not wanting to make a fuss, we never bothered with the main dining room but always ate in the Aloha buffet. The buffet has a pizza/pasta station and they happily made cheese-less dishes on request - they assured us the pasta was egg free (and as it's cheaper I'd guess they are likely to be right!)

Lots of salads, fruit as well as fries and the like to choose from. Also some of the asian dishes were vegan - they even had a tofu based dish one night. There was french onion soup a few times and of course cooked veggies as well - always a risk of some meat stock, but you can only do your best.

One tip - they have soya milk if you ask....

Did take a couple of tubes of vegan pate with us - some fresh bread from breakast sorted out lunch off the ship....

Archived