Child falls from cruise ship

ceetee

Fortunately the child fell from the 11th floor balcony to the 10th and not to the ocean below. Being so close to port, would it not make more sense to have the coast guard come meet the ship as opposed to turning it back to port?

Wow:eek: That is horrible. I have heard nothing but bad news lately! I hope the child and the family are doing well.

Hate to say it but can only assume the child was climbing and not being supervised. We all have accidents - not judging - but pretty hard to fall from these balconys I think

There were not many details released on the news this morning. What was reported was that it was a family of four traveling. The mother went with the older child and left the 1 year old with dad. The 1 year old, got away from dad and fell. Their names and the condition of the toddler has not been released yet. The child was airlifted to the childrens hospital in Orlando. We can only hope and pray that this child is doing okay. The child fell shortly after the cruise ship hit full speed after it had left port at 4:30 it was about 7pm that the child was placed on the helicopter.

Fortunately the child fell from the 11th floor balcony to the 10th and not to the ocean below. Being so close to port, would it not make more sense to have the coast guard come meet the ship as opposed to turning it back to port?

I can't for the life of me figure out how a child can fall onto or into a balcony. I wonder if the report should have read fell to the 10th DECK. Now, that sounds more reasonable and far more easily done in the pool area.

I can't even imagine. A one year old? Those parents must feel just horrible.

It would take a lot of effort for me to get over the rail (OK, I'm old) but can't imagine it was easy for a one year old. Can't help but wonder if the father was holding hom on the rail and he wiggled from his grasp. I do know some toddlers can be fast. There was a little guy down the hall from us. The instant the cabin door would open, he would be charging down the hall with dad in hot pursuit. Then out came the harness and leash. I know a lot of people froun on them but they do keep little ones safe - just ask my late mom as I was a wanderer and wore one over sixty years ago and grew to be a productive member of society - lol.

Prayers for a swift recovery.

Being so close to port, would it not make more sense to have the coast guard come meet the ship as opposed to turning it back to port?

I would imagine it depends on the severity of the injuries, vs. weather conditions, etc. The Monarch does not have a heliport on it's bow like the larger ships, so I imagine there would be some risk involved with basket lifting such a small child.

I am sure it was a judgement call, after evaluating all of the risks.

I would imagine it depends on the severity of the injuries, vs. weather conditions, etc. The Monarch does not have a heliport on it's bow like the larger ships, so I imagine there would be some risk involved with basket lifting such a small child.

I am sure it was a judgement call, after evaluating all of the risks.

Ya, that makes sense. I really hope everything works out for the family. Nobody deserves this.

I don't remember where but I read 'crawled through' not 'climbed over' the rails on deck 11 which is a pool deck. Someone mentioned that there are spaces on that deck wide enough for a small child to fit through.

What a tragedy. Hope the baby will be ok.

:(

Archived