Public Service Announcement re: location of your bread plate

San_Antonio_Ex

I just returned last Friday from a b2b on the Imagination. It was definitely a fun, albeit a small, ship! :D

For the information of less seasoned cruisers on Carnival, I hope it will be helpful to you for me to point out on this thread the fact that the bread plate to your left at the table is YOUR bread plate. I can't tell you how many times cruisers to my left set their handbag, their sail and sign card, or their camera on the plate to their right thinking that was their plate. :eek: :confused:

These are the same items that most people sit just about anywhere and take into the bathroom with them in public restrooms. I don't want your germs on my bread plate!!!!

It happened more than once on each cruise and we had assigned seating!!:eek: :rolleyes:

The waiters will come from your right to serve the bread, usually, and they will place the bread on the plate to your left either next to your forks or above your forks. Please make sure you use your bread plate, if any, to store your personal belongings and not that of your neighbor!! :)

Peg, we had a fantastic cruise as always!! The folks on my left were always very nice and offered to switch bread plates once the server caused them to realize their mistake. I just thought pointing it out on this thread might help someone avoid the mistake (and might help others be vigilant to make sure no germy stuff gets put on their plate accidentally!) :D

Who puts their handbag on a bread plate? I mean ANY bread plate, not just their neighbor's? That's just odd.

It was elegant night, and my left side neighbor had brought her small evening bag. We were so squished at the table that she set it on her bread plate. Another night she set her small camera there. :) She was very nice about it, but it was just kind of yucky!

For the information of less seasoned cruisers on Carnival, I hope it will be helpful to you for me to point out on this thread the fact that the bread plate to your left at the table is YOUR bread plate.

It's not just a Carnival thing, it's a formal place setting, and just plain 'ole etiquette. Shame.

The "Carnival" thing is the lack of a complete place setting. No, the waiter should not be walking around with soup spoons to set on my table if I order soup, it should be set for a soup, and taken away if not used. On my last trip, there was no service/charger plate either. Weird.

Sorry, it's the little things that make the difference between an Applebees experience and fine dining.

It's not just a Carnival thing, it's a formal place setting, and just plain 'ole etiquette. Shame.

The "Carnival" thing is the lack of a complete place setting. No, the waiter should not be walking around with soup spoons to set on my table if I order soup, it should be set for a soup, and taken away if not used. On my last trip, there was no service/charger plate either. Weird.

Sorry, it's the little things that make the difference between an Applebees experience and fine dining.

I understand that it is a formal place setting, but since this is a cruise forum, I wanted to limit my etiquette lesson to carnival cruisers (or any other cruiser for that matter). :D

We did have chargers...

And while I'm at it...PLEASE keep your fingers out of your plate - you know who you are. It's really disgusting to watch a grown adult scoop their rice onto their fork using their fingers!!!!! (ok, I'll stop now - but there is sooo much more I could say.:p;) )

Make a circle with your thumb and pointer fingers, the side that makes a "b" is your bread plate (left) ...the side that makes a "d" is your drink (right)

Thanks! That's a very useful mnemonic. It also works for little kids who have trouble remember how to write a B and how to write a D.

I know the B and D serving too! Well explained!

:)

When I take an evening bag it goes over the arm of the chair, or I tuck it behind my back on my chair. I wouldn't put it on the bread plate though.

We have always had the "charger" as a part of the "plating - or service set up", but true enough the soup spoon only arrives if we order soup.

I understand that it is a formal place setting, but since this is a cruise forum, I wanted to limit my etiquette lesson to carnival cruisers (or any other cruiser for that matter). :D

We did have chargers...

And while I'm at it...PLEASE keep your fingers out of your plate - you know who you are. It's really disgusting to watch a grown adult scoop their rice onto their fork using their fingers!!!!! (ok, I'll stop now - but there is sooo much more I could say.:p;) )

Now don't that beat all?! Next thing you'll tell me is, I can't use my fork for a back scratcher. :rolleyes::D

OP - you are too funny! But I totally understand.

Whenever my DH tells one of the kids to take their elbows off the table...I slide mine off too. :D

But I DO chew with my mouth closed!

PEg

LOL - I wouldn't even notice the elbow thing, well, unless your elbows were on my bread plate. :)

I, too, chew with my mouth closed. But I talk with food in my mouth sometimes - yuck - I'm really trying to be more mindful of that. I think I picked it up when I was raising small children and it was imperative to say something immediately before the plate got pushed onto the floor or the milk got spilled. :D

Now don't that beat all?! Next thing you'll tell me is, I can't use my fork for a back scratcher. :rolleyes::D

Hilarious!

Wouldn't know if I'm missing the charger or the soup spoon but I try not to put my elbows on the table or talk with my mouth full of food. Oh and I do chew with my mouth closed. So what is the charger?

Hilarious!

Wouldn't know if I'm missing the charger or the soup spoon but I try not to put my elbows on the table or talk with my mouth full of food. Oh and I do chew with my mouth closed. So what is the charger?

The charger is the blue- or pink-rimmed plate with the people on it. They usually will put your appetizer plate on top, then take it away for the main course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just returned last Friday from a b2b on the Imagination. It was definitely a fun, albeit a small, ship! :D

For the information of less seasoned cruisers on Carnival, I hope it will be helpful to you for me to point out on this thread the fact that the bread plate to your left at the table is YOUR bread plate. I can't tell you how many times cruisers to my left set their handbag, their sail and sign card, or their camera on the plate to their right thinking that was their plate. :eek: :confused:

These are the same items that most people sit just about anywhere and take into the bathroom with them in public restrooms. I don't want your germs on my bread plate!!!!

It happened more than once on each cruise and we had assigned seating!!:eek: :rolleyes:

The waiters will come from your right to serve the bread, usually, and they will place the bread on the plate to your left either next to your forks or above your forks. Please make sure you use your bread plate, if any, to store your personal belongings and not that of your neighbor!! :)

I got the bread plate down pat, but I always got confused with all the cutlery when Carnival had multiple course dinners.......until I saw the movie Titanic.

Make a circle with your thumb and pointer fingers, the side that makes a "b" is your bread plate (left) ...the side that makes a "d" is your drink (right)

Excellent, I never heard that one.

Back in the 70's during my food service career, I was taught, and then we taught our employees who's bread plate etc is whose by telling them that the place setting goes from left to right, from dry (bread) to wet (water/wine glass).

Your way is much easier.

Kevin C

Archived