Aft balcony and hump cabins?

robinlynn

I have read about the advantages of both, but still don't know exactly what they are, and how to know from the ship's deckplans which they are. Also, what are sny disadvantages. We generally prefer aquas class...are any of these aft or hump and is, again, how can we tell which ones?

Anxiously awaiting the new 2014 schedule for Northern Europe, and am trying to do my homework ahead of time.

We will be sailing Eclipse unless they switch ships on us!

I would appreciate any help or advice. This will be our third Celebrity European Cruise.

Thanks!

Robin

AFT cabins are the cabins that, when you stand on the balcony, you look over the wake from the boat. Not sure if there are Aqua class AFT cabins.

Hump cabins are located on the part of the ship that bumps out, generally mid-ship. I think there are Aqua class cabins there.

On S Class ships we prefer the hump cabins over the aft. There is not as much protection from the sun and it's a long walk to the elevator or stairs if you're in a aft. On the M class we love the aft cabins but sometimes get a hump if there's a big difference in price.

We had a hump on Eclipse, not AQ though, 9215. Had a very large balcony & super views. I've attached a thumbnail picture to give you an idea of the position.

We have also booked a hump for Alaska 2014 on Solstice but a deck lower, I felt a vibration on deck 9 so thought we'd try a lower deck.

Enjoy Eclipse, she was lovely! :)

image.jpg.d8ef48d12e8ad6aaf2fd2361214c577e.jpg

Aft=back, S class are theater style=those above can see down on your balcony.

We are members of the Aft Balcony Snob Society :D, but book on the angle of the hump on S Class Ships because of this.

Having recently experienced the S Class Aft cabins on our recent Silhouette itinerary (we snagged the aft cabin with the largest balcony only just over a week from cruise date) we are eternally thankful for folks like you and the one poster above who believes that it is too far to walk to the elevators.

So long as DW and I have the option to pick the best Aft cabin room only a few days from the cruise, let me help you in spreading the word that the Aft cabins on S Class ships are to be totally avoided!! Especially on the cruise that we are booked!!! :D

When looking for the best "hump" cabins you need to get the ones on the slant, not on the actual hump. It's the first and third from the hump going front or back that have the biggest balconies. They are in various room classes including AQ, Concierge, and various levels of veranda. 2nd & 4th are better than a standard balcony but not as good as 1st & 3rd.

When looking for the best "hump" cabins you need to get the ones on the slant, not on the actual hump. It's the first and third from the hump going front or back that have the biggest balconies. They are in various room classes including AQ, Concierge, and various levels of veranda. 2nd & 4th are better than a standard balcony but not as good as 1st & 3rd.

Could you possibly be specific with regards to exact cabin numbers so people have a crystal clear clarification as which cabins you're referring to? Thank you.

Could you possibly be specific with regards to exact cabin numbers so people have a crystal clear clarification as which cabins you're referring to? Thank you.

On the S class there are no aft cabins that are Aqua Class. There are AQ aft cabins on the M class. On the M class they also have stairs and elevators towards the back of the ship so the walk is not nearly as long as it is on the S class. Here is a good review of the M class AQ aft cabins.

The hump cabins that are AQ are 1610, 1608, 1606, 1604, 1605, 1603, 1601, 1599, 1554, 1552, 1549, 1547. For AQ class there are no regular cabins on the backside (only suites) of the hump, but there are for the other stateroom categories. Going off those room numbers though looking at deck 11 you should be able to figure out which ones they are, however I'm including two images below with the hump cabins marked.

AQHump_zpsf0879ba6.jpg

RegHump_zps1d003d8d.jpg

The photos below are from AQ1610. We had the divider to AQ1608 open as well.

374325_10101236452022155_2113498549_n.jpg

378460_10101236452266665_644978858_n.jpg

Edited by prim8keeper

One thing not mentioned so far is the size of the aft verandas. There is a big difference when comparing afts on the M class ships vs the afts on the S class. Because of the ships design the aft cabin verandas on the M class ships are a world apart from the verandas of other cabins. These verandas are about 3 times the size of a regular veranda with a metal roof, a canvas covering and open sky each covering about 1/3 of the veranda. You can host a small party with a dozen people on an M class aft veranda and not feel crowded. This is one of the reasons why X created CC1 at a higher price point :mad:.

One thing not mentioned so far is the size of the aft verandas. There is a big difference when comparing afts on the M class ships vs the afts on the S class. Because of the ships design the aft cabin verandas on the M class ships are a world apart from the verandas of other cabins. These verandas are about 3 times the size of a regular veranda with a metal roof, a canvas covering and open sky each covering about 1/3 of the veranda. You can host a small party with a dozen people on an M class aft veranda and not feel crowded. This is one of the reasons why X created CC1 at a higher price point :mad:.

Sweeeet, that's what I've got coming up. Love, love, love aft facing balconies. A world of one's own!

We just returned from the Reflection and had 4 cabins in a row on the aft including one corner sky suite. The cabins between the 2 corner suites are alternating in size. 9376 - corner suite with wrap balcony, 9378 - regular size balcony, 9380 - wider by 1-2', 9382 - smaller. (9384 was wider as well). No soot, privacy unless you were standing at the rail, very quiet.

We love the aft on the M class! But have to say that we love the hump on the S class.

Just returned from the Reflection (LOVED IT!) had cabin 1136. It was near the elevators, the library and easy access to the stairs. The balcony was larger than most. One thing DH did not like was that you could not see the front of the ship. We did see the aft however. Did not bother me. Loved it for the balcony.

By the way have been on both the Silhouette and the Reflection and loved them both! Reflection is beautiful and a great staff. Silhouette has a wonderful captain and he really keeps entertained. Not that I think that it important but it does not hurt! Had AQ on the Silhouette and we would, and will, do that on the Eclipse in the Fall.

Happy Sailing...

Don't want to hi-jack, but I see pnsnkr, you were on Reflection. We are going in Nov, what did you think?

We had an amazing time on the Reflection. Since we were primarily looking for a well-needed R&R, the combination of a new ship (and our first S-Class experience) and light itinerary was perfect. We had almost 4 sea days as the ship arrived in San Juan just past 5p instead of the scheduled 3p arrival.

Please check the detailed review by Library Lady.

thanks to everyone who answered my questons about aft and hump cabins.....all of you have been so helpful and informative....this board is so great and everyone so nice.

I assume these great cabins are not the ones offered in the special pricings? On my two previous Celebrity cruises, I didn't get any great rate and was going to wait for a rate fare sail to book....much of a chance of snagging one of these hump cabins during a sale, or or those generally the first to go?

Robin

thanks to everyone who answered my questons about aft and hump cabins.....all of you have been so helpful and informative....this board is so great and everyone so nice.

I assume these great cabins are not the ones offered in the special pricings? On my two previous Celebrity cruises, I didn't get any great rate and was going to wait for a rate fare sail to book....much of a chance of snagging one of these hump cabins during a sale, or or those generally the first to go?

Robin

Hi Robin

Not necessarily, there are 20 hump cabins still available on our reflection cruise, just checked the well known website just now...:)

Booked C-1 #1222 on Reflection. Leave in 9 days. From pictures I've seen this cabin has a larger balcony. Now, is the soot issue a big problem :confused:? I've been hearing yes and no depending on the wind. My first cruise with Celebrity and 2nd ever for my lady. I hope I made the right choice.

Hi Robin

Not necessarily, there are 20 hump cabins still available on our reflection cruise, just checked the well known website just now...:)

I thought you could only check on availability by keying in each individual cabin number on the Celebrity website. Since you know of a different "well known site" that simplifies the process, could you please forward that information to me at my email address which is my handle @yahoo. Thanks

I thought you could only check on availability by keying in each individual cabin number on the Celebrity website. Since you know of a different "well known site" that simplifies the process, could you please forward that information to me at my email address which is my handle @yahoo. Thanks

details sent! :)