A (mostly) Carnival Cruiser Tries Princess - a b2b on Golden Princess

Sargent_Schultz

Actually I have cruised on Princess before, but not for years. The short cruises were a means for me to get to Platinum and were a bargain to boot. That the price of the cruises are now available for me to apply to a future cruise is bonus.

Along the way I'll try to point out what some of the differences are that I noticed.

The cruises were the Oct 28th (4 day) and Nov 1 (3 day) sailings of the Golden Princess out of Los Angeles (San Pedro).

One of my first mistakes was flying into Long Beach with having arranged in advance for transportation to the cruise ship. Oh well, that was solved by a $45 cab ride (flat rate) from the airport to the ship.

Embarkation is a little different on Princess. Initially all of the check-in stations are for the Preferred passengers and then after the initial rush, only some were reserved for Preferred and the rest of us could check-in. The same was true when actually boarding the ship.

Carnival has stations reserved for Priority passengers, but also let others check in at the remainder. The actual boarding of the ship is handled approximately the same.

DSC_9823_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9824_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9825_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9826_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9827_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9828_Zyde.jpg

Edited by Sargent_Schultz

Embarkation is a little different on Princess. Initially all of the check-in stations are for the Preferred passengers and then after the initial rush, only some were reserved for Preferred and the rest of us could check-in. The same was true when actually boarding the ship.

Carnival has stations reserved for Priority passengers, but also let others check in at the remainder. The actual boarding of the ship is handled approximately the same.

Interesting. I've never, ever seen this at a Princess check-in... ever. Including San Pedro. Usually, there's Priority check-in in one section, general check-in by deck(s) in another.

Interesting. I've never, ever seen this at a Princess check-in... ever. Including San Pedro. Usually, there's Priority check-in in one section, general check-in by deck(s) in another.

There was a section reserved for Priority and the rest were by deck, but when check-in first started, all were "reserved" for Priority. After the initial rush, it went back to as you described. Perhaps this is unique to the Coastal cruises?

Carnival typically will say staterooms aren't ready until 1:30pm and Princess will let you go to your stateroom as soon as you board. Usually I am on the ship before noon on Carnival and my stateroom is as ready as it is going to get, but I do think they have gotten the Platinum and above rooms ready first.

On Princess, boarding the ship didn't begin until noonish and I suspect is more similar than different at boarding, stateroom readiness, etc.

Having checked in before 11am, I then got to wait until 12:15 before boarding, but hey, I was number 1! Group, that is.

DSC_9829_Zyde.jpg

While killing time, I noticed some were actually purchasing snacks. Before getting on a cruise ship ?!?!?!

DSC_9831_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9832_Zyde.jpg

There was a section reserved for Priority and the rest were by deck, but when check-in first started, all were "reserved" for Priority. After the initial rush, it went back to as you described. Perhaps this is unique to the Coastal cruises?
Possible. But again, I've boarded in San Pedro many times, even on BVE's, and the general boarding by deck was always available. My last BVE boarding, just a few months ago in San Pedro, we were directed to the Aloha deck line at 11am even though I'm Elite.

Possible. But again, I've boarded in San Pedro many times, even on BVE's, and the general boarding by deck was always available. My last BVE boarding, just a few months ago in San Pedro, we were directed to the Aloha deck line at 11am even though I'm Elite.

Don't know what to say other than it wasn't that way this cruise or the one after.

I was at the cruise terminal about 10:15 and they started by checking in Preferred first, instructing the cattle to remain seated. My turn came at 10:40am and by 10:45am I was done with checking in.

Then it was through security and the liquor check.

The told us boarding would begin around 12:30pm but around 11:50am they started boarding Elite (A), around 12 noon, Elite (B), 12:03 Preferred (E), and 12:10 Preferred (F&G).

Anyway, check-in and boarding did go relatively smoothly.

I headed straight for my cabin, an inside on Baja deck, and it appeared ready enough, so I shut the door and started moving in.

DSC_9834_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9835_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9838_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9841_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9842_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9843_Zyde.jpg

Looking forward to reading more of your B2B cruises on the Golden Princess out of San Pedro. I've mostly cruised Carnival and were trying Princess for the first time in 6 days, also on the Golden/San Pedro.

I think you'll enjoy it. I had made some notes on some of the differences and maybe I'll try to summarize before you depart.

Okay, some of the differences I noticed -

I think the beef in the MDR is better on Princess.

I thought the showers on Princess were small. The showerhead was good, but was fixed to the wall. Hand held was not an option. Given the size of the shower, probably a good thing.

The bathrobe in the cabin (inside) was of the waffle weave variety. The standard robe on Carnival is better. One the first cruise the One Size robe would fit most people. On the 2nd cruise, the robe, even though the labels say One Size, was too small to fit most people. The cabin steward did find me a larger robe in the more luxurious style, about the same as Carnival.

I thought the cabin temperature was more consistent throughout the cruise than on Carnival.

No dancing waiters or singing maitre d's, but there was music playing in the MDR.

Bought a coke while the ship was in port in San Diego and was charged tax in addition to the standard 15% gratuity.

Ship models in the gift shop cost less on Princess, but the models are also smaller.

There were noticeably fewer announcements over the PA system on Princess - a really good thing.

Even on Princess, there are door slammers.

Alcohol Drink prices on Princess are less. Sodas were the same.

Drink service in the MDR is different on Princess. No waiting for a bar server to make the rounds. Your waiter and/or assistant waiter takes the drink orders. The down side is it seems like every night they are asking if you want to purchase some fancy water or cocktails. Or after dinner coffee drink.

No charger plates in the MDR.

I'll probably remember some more.

Hi Sarge,

The last review of yours I enjoyed was Carnival Sunshine just after she came out of refit. You always do a remarkable job and I appreciate the time and effort you are taking in this one as well. Keep up the excellent work, and I'm loving all the pictures. :D

Hi Sarge,

The last review of yours I enjoyed was Carnival Sunshine just after she came out of refit. You always do a remarkable job and I appreciate the time and effort you are taking in this one as well. Keep up the excellent work, and I'm loving all the pictures. :D

Thank you!

Excellent! I've gone to your wonderful website many times in the past. You always take the most amazing photos. I'm really enjoying your tour of the Golden Princess, one of my favorite ships.

Thank you!

We saw this on the Oct. 24th sailing. We boarded with the disabled and we were on by 11:45. I could see a bunch of people waiting in another area.

Sarge your photos are great. We were on the cruise before yours.

Pat