Why do the ships leave Key West so early?

Dare2Believe

Just curious...why do the ships have to be out of Key West so early? It's such a great port..would love to experience some of the nightlife there. Or at least see one of their beautiful sunsets.

Is it just Carnival that leaves so early? 730 - 3 is such a tease...

I have a gripe with this as well. We were there from 7:30-2 but I did see in Nov 14 they have a 4 da on the Ecstacy that goes to KW til 8 and on to Nassau. It isnt great but it is better than early afternoon. I would like them to switch the Coz & KW stops so that you can do a night time stop in KW.

I've been on itineraries that stay in Key West until late in the evening. If you're looking at the 4 night itinerary from Miami, the ship has to leave Key West early in order to make it to Cozumel the following day at a decent time. It's a long distance to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I've been on itineraries that stay in Key West until late in the evening. If you're looking at the 4 night itinerary from Miami, the ship has to leave Key West early in order to make it to Cozumel the following day at a decent time. It's a long distance to cover.

We're on the five night out of Jacksonville on the Fascination..we go to Nassau the next day. Didn't think it was that far, but I suppose it is.

We're on the five night out of Jacksonville on the Fascination..we go to Nassau the next day. Didn't think it was that far, but I suppose it is.

We did that itinerary as well. Yes, the distance to Nassau is longer than it seems, partly because the ship can't sail on a straight line from Key West to Nassau as it needs to go around some islands. Even though we departed at 3pm from Key West, we didn't make it to Nassau until noon the next day.

Edited by Tapi

The question should be. Why even stop there?

If you're asking the question, most likely you haven't taken the time to educate yourself about all the things that this wonderful place has to offer.

Next time you're in Key West, check out

-Dry Tortuga National Park

-Harry S. Truman Little White House

-Vandenberg Wreck

-Sunset Pier

-The Overseas Highway

-Ernest Hemingway's House

-Mallory Square

-Duval Street

-Key West Lighthouse

-Key West Museum of Art and History

-Shipwreck Museum

-Key West Aquarium

-Higgs Beach

-Smathers Beach

-Southernmost Point

Those are the ones that come to mind, but I apologize as I'm sure I missed some. :o

Edited by Tapi

There is a city ordinance that cruise ships must leave 2 hours before sunset. They are allowed to return after sunset, but I've never heard of or seen any do so.

The itinerary I mention above stays until 8 in November which is well after sunset... I wonder if they are going to be docked at the Naval yard and maybe are exempt from this rule?

Dry Tortugas is the most amazing national park I have ever visited. Well worth the time and price to visit. Although I don't think you could visit there during a cruise ship stop unless it was a ship tour. I'm looking forward to when my DD is old enough to appreciate a trip there. We love the Keys and Key West.

The itinerary I mention above stays until 8 in November which is well after sunset... I wonder if they are going to be docked at the Naval yard and maybe are exempt from this rule?

That's very possible. I'm not sure if the ordinance only applies to Mallory Square or not. Navy Mole has it's own issues with cruise ships.

If you're asking the question, most likely you haven't taken the time to educate yourself about all the things that this wonderful place has to offer.

Next time you're in Key West, check out

-Dry Tortuga National Park

-Harry S. Truman Little White House

-Vandenberg Wreck

-Sunset Pier

-The Overseas Highway

-Ernest Hemingway's House

-Mallory Square

-Duval Street

-Key West Lighthouse

-Key West Museum of Art and History

-Shipwreck Museum

-Key West Aquarium

-Higgs Beach

-Smathers Beach

-Southernmost Point

Those are the ones that come to mind, but I apologize as I'm sure I missed some. :o

Went to the Shipwreck Museum when I was there. I love that kind of stuff as I followed the trials and tribulations of Mel Fisher for awhile.

Very interesting to me.

Also don't forget the Blonde Giraffe.:D

Bill

The question should be. Why even stop there?

Key West is by FAR our favorite port ..... I actually changed my cruise that was for the 1st week of December 2013 and went November 16th so I could go to Key West.....I choose the cruises and the dates that go there.....I guess to each their own..... and I guess some people would rather sail to places like Nassau.....but not us.........I'm disappointed that my May cruise doesn't have Key West as a port and my December one doesn't :( :( :( the first time since 2010 I haven't had a cruise scheduled to go there:confused:

I was on RCCL cruise in 2005 and our itinerary was Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Perfect if you ask me!! :)

Anyway we were in KW from 3pm until midnight on that cruise. I've never found another one like it and that makes me sad. :(

I've had two late sails from Key West in the past!

Once, we missed Grand Cayman due to bad weather, arrived just past sunset to Key West and had an overnight!

The second time, we had been scheduled to leave around 6:00 and for reasons that were never mentioned, as we were getting off the ship, we were told that sail-a-way had been delayed until 1:00 am! Such fun!

Key West is definitely one of my favourite spots to visit - whether by ship, or by land vacation!!