Cagney's - No more online bookings (official)

insanemagnet

An email I received from NCL today said -

"In regards to our website, there is currently a freeze on Cagney’s and Asian Restaurants for the time being until further notice."

They confirmed that existing bookings would be honoured, but if you haven't already booked then it is tough luck.

I didnt plan on booking any dinners using my UDP promo but since they took off cagneys I'm afraid they may take off others so I will now have to make reservations just in case. So much for free style.

NCL what the heck are you doing????????!!

I'm a very unhappy loyal NCL customer and have now become disgusted with your antics

I would guess since so many have the UDP the restaurant is near capacity. There was a time where specialty restaurants were not overly crowded and a refreshing change from the MDR. That was a major perk of eating there. But sadly NCL has turned the specialty restaurants into the crowded MDR's since so many have the UDP.

Someone just posted yesterday they could not get reservations from 5:30 to 6:30 sold out every day.

I wonder if this is in response to so many people complaining they can't get reservations when the restaurant is empty - if people book online, then don't show up, do they still charge the $30 pp fee? Or do UDP users book and then others can't get into the restaurant as paying customers?

I wonder if this is in response to so many people complaining they can't get reservations when the restaurant is empty - if people book online, then don't show up, do they still charge the $30 pp fee? Or do UDP users book and then others can't get into the restaurant as paying customers?

I have a cruise coming up in June, and for a while Cagney's was not available for reservations online (I do NOT have UDP, and I still couldn't pre-book it until today, it was just "disappeared" from the list of available specialty restaurants).

But now Cagney's is available for pre-booking again, at least with the regular cover charge of $30. Regarding pre-reservations online. I believe there is always just a certain percentage of the tables that can be pre-booked, the rest will only be available for reservations while on board.

They may be trying to limit Cagney's reservations due to the many many complaints they have been receiving lately about slow and poor service. We were on Epic last week and it took over 2 hours for dinner and we didn't even stay for dessert. Everyone was complaining about how long it took to order and get food. While the food was good we'll never book Cagney's again as it took up too much of our time that evening. With the UDP the specialty restaurants are more crowded than ever and service is suffering. Maybe by limiting the number of reservations they can improve the service levels.

Edited by lbrandon

They may be trying to limit Cagney's reservations due to the many many complaints they have been receiving lately about slow and poor service. We were on Epic last week and it took over 2 hours for dinner and we didn't even stay for dessert. Everyone was complaining about how long it took to order and get food. While the food was good we'll never book Cagney's again as it took up too much of our time that evening. With the UDP the specialty restaurants are more crowded than ever and service is suffering. Maybe by limiting the number of reservations they can improve the service levels.

Possible.

It's only anecdotal, but we were on the Jade in February. We found the service speed at Cagney's to be adequate, but Le Bistro really bad.

Le Bistro's issue was being shortstaffed. The staff they had were absolutely working at 100% effort; there simply weren't enough people.

Maybe it varies by ship.

Sorry that this is off topic, but didn't know how to start a new thread. Will be on the Breakaway in less than 2 weeks - and while I understand that taste in food is very subjective - would appreciate any recommendations on particularly mouth-watering, delectable appetizers, entrees, and desserts at Cagney's, as well as those that are only ho-hum, and any to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry that this is off topic, but didn't know how to start a new thread. Will be on the Breakaway in less than 2 weeks - and while I understand that taste in food is very subjective - would appreciate any recommendations on particularly mouth-watering, delectable appetizers, entrees, and desserts at Cagney's, as well as those that are only ho-hum, and any to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

The grilled bison strip was top notch! Came with caramelized red onions which it didn't need.

My wife did enjoy her Truffle Chicken.

We both loved the Oreo cheescake!!!

Thanks in advance!

Here's a look at the entire menu;

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/cagneys.pdf

Bon Appetit

Rochelle

great info, do you by any chance have links to any of the menus for the other speciality restaurants?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Yep :)

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-dawn-menus.html

Check out beyondships dot com or Beyondships2 dot com to check out the ship of your choice. For some reason they do not have a listing for the Jade. Not to worry though for the most part the menus are fleet wide.

Rochelle

Bringing my own bottle of wine to Cagney's (opened or unopened) - would that be considered gauche:eek: by the wait staff or other diners?

Thanks!

Not at all. Happens all the time. They will even save an unfinished bottle for you and bring it out on a subsequent night - in the same restaurant or a different one. We've taken a champagne to one of the main dining rooms on the first day onboard and asked them to keep it in the back (and chilled) until we dine on a later day. The bottle will be tagged and you will be given a matching ticket that allows them to locate it and serve it to you in any restaurant on the ship.

Yep :)

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-dawn-menus.html

Check out beyondships dot com or Beyondships2 dot com to check out the ship of your choice. For some reason they do not have a listing for the Jade. Not to worry though for the most part the menus are fleet wide.

Rochelle

These are just what I have been looking for! Thank you for sharing!

Bringing my own bottle of wine to Cagney's (opened or unopened) - would that be considered gauche:eek: by the wait staff or other diners?

Thanks!

Not at all. We sometimes find a bottle of wine in our room that has been comped by someone and they are always happy for us to turn up at dinner with it for them to open and pour.

I once carried a bottle of the free sparkling into a bar and asked for 2 glasses as we were going to sit outside on the promenade with it. The barman took the wine from us and told us to go and sit and he would bring it. He has swopped the wine for a colder one from the fridge and put it in an ice bucket. He then opened it and poured it for us. Excellent service from him.