Best brand Money Belt to purchase ?????

fjrtha

Going to be in Barcelona a few days prior to doing a Western Mediterranean Cruise (Italy France , Spain) then Prague a few days after. I am reading it is a must for men to wear a money belt in these ports or if a lady to wear a bra stash. Which brands has anyone tried that was made well and worth it?? I am assuming to make a money belt work it needs to be under cothing not over clothing as pictured in most ads or a thief could just unbuckle or cut it off..right?? Also advice on traveler's checks vs cash vs using an ATM when in the ports? Also I read a few post about traveler cards. We have done several Caribbean cruises on RCCL and one on Carnival. Going to try our first on the controversial Norwegian Epic for the Western European route in June. Any advice for travel in Europe very appreciated. Going with 6 other family members all adults.

My father-in-law had a money belt that looked like a regular belt--with a hidden zippered compartment. It looked awkward to use. If I were going, I'd look for something that was less cumbersome. Amazon has one called the Eagle Creek hidden pocket that loops onto your belt and is then tucked into your pants.

The best place to get cash is at ATMs. Be sure to let your bank know where you are travelling.

I prefer the hidden money pockets which I also pin to an inside pocket for extra security. You can add loops to match the colour of your pants. I ended up making my own.

In cooler weather a travel vest with inside pockets will also work.

I am of the bra stash brigade. I also made a skirt with a secret pocket. All my lower garments have deep pockets but not with a lot of money in. I don't carry a handbag ever. Especially Paris. No jewellery in Paris either.

My husband always wears shirts with a buttoned pocket. Keeps his card in there. For emergency buying of me presents!

The ships have safes so we never take a lot of money out with us.

I wouldn't bother with a money belt. So obvious. Makes it look as though you have loads of money and are worth robbing.

You don't need a money belt. Just be vigilant, and don't carry more than a few Euros and one credit card.

If you are carrying enough money that you need to keep it in a money belt are you going to disrobe in the store to make your purchase?

The belt style are uncomfortable, and don't fit heavier people. They ride up, itch, and if your shirt isn't firmly tucked in... are still visible. And visible means accessible for a practiced pickpocket. Same for the pouch that hangs around your neck under your shirt. Clunky and visible.

The photos in an earlier post are very similar to what we have. It's a pouch/pocket that hangs from our belt, or belt loop, inside our pants/shorts. It's about the size of a passport, with a zipper, is made of soft fabric, and has a loop one one end that you thread your belt through. Without a belt, I safety pin the loop to the waistband of my shorts/pants/skirt. (Found on eBay, also on Amazon, or they'd be easy to make.)

It hangs inside your clothing, right behind your normal front-pants-pocket. You'll know it's there, but only because it feels like your wallet, anyway. You can pull it out to access and tuck back in discreetly. It is comfortable, too. I carry a few bills in my pocket, but all big bills, credit cards, ID, etc. are in the pouch. DH has worn his pinned into his swimsuit (two pins!) with the papers inside a ziploc bag.

The whole vigilant thing... don't believe it. Nobody has their hand on their pocket/purse every moment. We saw MANY pickpockets in the crowds at the Coliseum, Vatican/St. Peters Square, at the Treavi Fountain and in Barcelona. It became a sport to see how many we could see in action -- they were fast, and disappeared quickly... we'd sometimes just see backpacks and purses hanging open.

On our Med cruise in 2012, we personally knew 5 people who'd had their purses or backpacks picked... all swear that they had their hands on the bag the whole day.

Edited by Sue Do-Over

Sometimes people need to carry $$ before they get to the hotel or ship where there are usually safes where you can store your valuables

Most will keep minimal cash in their purse/pockets for shopping but you can always go to the washroom & get more from your money belt when you run low

Some tour guides want payment in CASH so a secret place to stash the cash is always good

I see many people have those neck wallets ....

the string around your neck is a dead giveaway to thieves or better yet just wearing them around your neck like a necklace :eek:

YMMV

I a show wallet that I use for daily use with one credit card and a small ammount money to get me through the day. I carry a spare credit card and copies of documents in another location. I keep emergency money and copies of documents in a belt as described earlier with a zipper. I keep a spare credit card, sea pass, picture ID, and maybe a little local currency in a secret pocket in my pants.

Speaking of credit cards I think it is important to have at least one credit card that is different from your spouse. This credit card I keep in the safe at the hotel. The reason for a different card is if you have to cancel a credit card due to loss, theift, or ID theift you each will have a credit card to use.

There is nothing wrong with money belts or neck wallets just make sure they are not visable and if you need to use it do it out of the public eye.

Shak

I have tried the money belt but much prefer the pocket that several others have mentioned. It's relatively easy to keep hidden, is not uncomfortable, and you can access it (in a protected place) if needed.

I am not a fan of the "be vigilant" approach. I was "vigilant" in Barcelona and was still pickpocketed from a crossbody bag that was tucked under my arm. Still not quite sure how or when the pickpockets got my wallet.

Nor am I a fan of the Pacsafe products. There's nothing to stop them being snatched.

I'm very probably tempting fate here, but I've never had a problem with pickpockets, and we've been to Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Paris, New York and other major cities. Obviously, I take precautions - I always have an old wallet with a couple of expired bank or loyalty cards and a few one euro notes in my back pocket so that, if I am going to be targeted, then hopefully they'll swipe that. I also don't actually use a wallet ashore, I just keep my cruise card and just enough cash to buy us lunch/a few souvenirs in my right hand front pocket and try to keep my hand in that pocket as much as possible. And, just as when we are at home, my wife keeps hold of the credit card!

You just know what's going to happen on our next cruise, don't you? :o

Edited by wobblybob74

I always sew an extra pocket to the inside front waistband of hubby's pants (or jeans). To make it easy, rip out the rear pocket of an old pair of pants and stitch it to the waistband. It is large enough to hold a passport and money, and if anyone is going to try to pick your pocket, they are going to have to get up close and personal with you to do so. This year when we went to Barcelona, I did the same thing with my slacks, and we didn't have any worries. Hubby carried a "throw-away" wallet from the dollar store in a back pocket; it was filled with Canadian Tire money (like monopoly money). If anyone decided to take it, they would have had a worthless wallet. It remained in his pocket, despite all the wandering around Las Ramblas that we did.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

My father-in-law had a money belt that looked like a regular belt--with a hidden zippered compartment. It looked awkward to use. If I were going, I'd look for something that was less cumbersome. Amazon has one called the Eagle Creek hidden pocket that loops onto your belt and is then tucked into your pants.

HOWEVER, the Pickpockets/Muggers now look for that Nylon Loop over the belt. It makes more sense to have one that is either under the clothes or actually is a Money Belt.

This is the one we sell in my store and I actually own three of them that I use when traveling.

https://bisondesigns.com/products/30mm-t-lock-money-belt

Also a dummy wallet with expired Credit Cards in the hip pocket works. Take only necessary ID and <$50 cash when going ashore. Take one Credit Card.

HAd a money belt years ago but it was rather large and so hot - I stopped using it 25 years ago. I just purchased pacsafe neck pouches for both of us. We will be traveling for three weeks by train, etc so wanted it for our passports , cash and credit cards.

Have others been happy with them?