"LIVE" - Jewel of the Seas - 16 May 2015 - Royal returns to the West Coast

Hello all,

Sorry if I am starting this a little early but I will be busy running around today and I wanted to get this kicked off. For those that do not know me I am Bill and I leave outside Seattle with my terrific wife Marie. We only started cruising about 5 years ago but are hooked and try to get a cruise in whenever work allows.

We have cruised out of Vancouver a couple times and we did a Mexican Riviera cruise on Mariner back in 2010 but we have never cruised up the coast before.

Here is our expected itinerary:

17641406521_bcdfc52443_c.jpg

The popularity of west coast cruises showed early as this cruise filled up fast and the prices shot up. We elected to try an outside cabin as it was reasonably priced and we had never had a cabin with a window before. But several weeks ago we got a pleasant surprise when we received a C&A free upgrade to a balcony. The original cabin they assigned us was up forward, I think 7030. I prefer from the middle to the aft and there was another cabin open so we got moved to 7594.

I like the central location and I hope it's close proximity to the Business Center will help with the WiFi. Jewel does not have ship wide WiFI, just hot spots. The last time we were on Jewel that was the area of the ship I would generally go for WiFi.

17641408061_10b3d4e30e_b.jpg

Yeah Bill & Marie! A pre-view live review of a PC Jewel cruise! As you know, we will be joining you Oct. 3 but for now, this is just the sort of thing I was hoping someone would do....to get us more in the mood!LOL:D Like our Oct. 3 group really needs that (not!):rolleyes:

Thanks for taking us along with you both!!

Judy

Yeah Bill & Marie! A pre-view live review of a PC Jewel cruise! As you know, we will be joining you Oct. 3 but for now, this is just the sort of thing I was hoping someone would do....to get us more in the mood!LOL:D Like our Oct. 3 group really needs that (not!):rolleyes:

Thanks for taking us along with you both!!

Judy

I know...we are pretty active, aren't we? :D;):p

:)

Can't wait to follow along. I've got about 570 days til my first Royal cruise, so I'm devouring everything in sight about the fleet.

I loved your Oasis trip report- that's the ship I'll be on, so your report was so beneficial. I feel like I know the ship so well already.

Looking to making several more ressies for RCI and the trip reports are so helpful in making decisions.

Bon-Voyage

Following along on another of your sailings Bill.

They're calling for beautiful 70 degree (20 celcius) weather up here by next weekend so hopefully you all have have a superb sailing filled with excellent weather throughout!

For our Friday night stay in San Diego we are staying at the Wyndham Bayside.

17455004929_4eb2347562_b.jpg

It should be an easy trip from the airport over to the hotel.

17615004446_a108304914_b.jpg

We are staying here for several reasons. One we got a great rate on the room. Another is it's location which is pretty much right across the street from the cruise terminal. Just a short walk (hopefully not in the rain) and we will be there. :D

17641324745_4ef3cb02c1_b.jpg

After checking in to the hotel and getting a little settled the plan is to ride the SD trolley over to Petco Park. We have tickets in right field for the Padres against the Nationals.

17465353948_b91b30ef67_o.jpg

Was considering eating dinner at possibly Tin Fish then heading into the ballpark. It looks like a beautiful facility and the tickets were about half what I have to pay at a Mariner game. :eek:

17653172861_01de3984d2_b.jpg

However, it does not look like the weather is going to cooperate as they are expecting heavy rains all evening. Since the ballpark does not have a retractable roof like ours (why would it since it only rains about once every 5 years :rolleyes:) and I have no vested interest in either team (American League fan here :D) I don't imagine we will be going if the rain holds up.

If the rain does washes things out our contingency plan is to head over to Little Italy, find a good restaurant then enjoy an evening of good food and wine.

17465309538_8ca5c0b3a0_b.jpg

Great start to your review, Bill. :) Looking forward to following along from onboard Jewel!

See you at the Sky Bar after muster on Saturday!

Looking forward to it. It's beginning to look like it will be a great sail away.

Love reading your travel threads, and truly enjoy the pictures.

Safe travels.

Thanks Sue. :)

We have made some plans for the various ports, nothing too extensive. On Catalina Island we will enjoy breakfast on the balcony since we anchor out. Later we will just take a walk around Avalon to see the sites then find some lunch.

17468182208_314943bfc3_c.jpg

Next stop will Be San Francisco for an overnight stay and a chance to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge.

17469709469_bd190def55_o.jpg

We do not arrive until noon so for the afternoon we plan to take a stroll over to Fisherman's Wharf and play tourist. We have not been in San Francisco since the early 90s so it will be fun.

17033692074_bf1f1b63c6_c.jpg

Later in the evening we have a Alcatraz Island tour. We were stationed in the bay area (Vallejo) three separate tours in the Navy and never made it out to Alcatraz. So we signed up early and managed to get one of the night tours.

Voted 'Best Tour of the Bay Area,' the Alcatraz Night Tour provides a more intimate, engaging Alcatraz experience. This tour includes a personally narrated boat tour around the island; guided tours from the dock to the main prison building; 'Doing Time: The Alcatraz Cellhouse Tour' and a variety of special programs and presentations offered only at night. Enjoy a sunset silhouetting the Golden Gate Bridge and breath-taking views of San Francisco as night falls. A truly exceptional experience.

17656143291_e270b2cf1c_b.jpg