Successful rescue L’Boreal footage.

Alphen

Since the L'Boreal incident ended without anyone injured, interesting to watch official MOD releases of the incident here;

http://www.defenceimagery.mod.uk/fotoweb/Grid.fwx?folderid=5000&columns=4&rows=5&search=((19112015A))

All credits go to the UK/Falkland’s rescue professionals and also Falkland locals, who went all the way in assisting the rescue and providing shelter for passengers and crew.

DSCF1270.jpg

Edited by Alphen

Sure is, most Bristow pilots are in a pool these days, take a job at Bristow and you can also end up there for a while!

They've pretty much taken over SAR coverage in the UK from the RAF, no? The yellow SAR Sea Kings based in the Falklands are two of the last flying in the RAF after an illustrious career saving many lives

Edited by Copper10-8

They've pretty much taken over SAR coverage in the UK from the RAF, no? The yellow SAR Sea Kings based in the Falklands are two of the last flying in the RAF after an illustrious career saving many lives

You are unfortunately correct. Everybody is privatising the SAR. Bristow indeed is a major player in the UK, like NHV (noordzee helikopters vlaanderen), has taken over in Holland and is also in the running for Belgium and France!:(

Amazing footage; we saw a line off the bow of Le Boreal - would they have been able to anchor in that area? I felt a little bit seasick just watching those seas!

Another question, did everyone leave, and if so, would the ship be open to salvage? Or perhaps some crew members would have stayed on board?

Amazing footage; we saw a line off the bow of Le Boreal - would they have been able to anchor in that area? I felt a little bit seasick just watching those seas!

Another question, did everyone leave, and if so, would the ship be open to salvage? Or perhaps some crew members would have stayed on board?

Last I heard, the Le Boreal's captain and a skeleton crew is still onboard. I would imagine the plan is to place her under tow and take her to a port for repairs. The ship is currently in open seas and not at an anchorage

Yes, if everyone left, the ship is considered derelict, and the first person onboard now owns it, but also is liable for any damages the derelict causes if it grounds.

Last I heard, two Dutch tugs were on scene, having been contracted to the Royal Navy, and were attempting to tow. They still would have likely been granted a Lloyds Open Form salvage contract, whose main terms are "no cure, no pay", or they don't get anything unless the ship is brought to port. However, once in port, an Admiralty arbiter then decides how much the salvor gets, based on the value of the ship and cargo, and the risk involved. This award can be up to the full value of the ship (minus damages from the fire) and all belongings onboard, as well as fuel and food.

Yes, if everyone left, the ship is considered derelict, and the first person onboard now owns it, but also is liable for any damages the derelict causes if it grounds.

. However, once in port, an Admiralty arbiter then decides how much the salvor gets, based on the value of the ship and cargo, and the risk involved. This award can be up to the full value of the ship (minus damages from the fire) and all belongings onboard, as well as fuel and food.

Private (pax) belongings?:confused::eek:

I had a long discussion about it with my cousin in the hospital (he's ex-Canadian Coast Guard). Kept him entertained for an hour or so! I hope I will be able to send him the link to that amazing video on Monday if/when he expects to get out of the hospital.

He agreed that some of the crew would likely have stayed on board if at all possible!

Yes, that is the anchor chain. Without power, you let out as much chain as possible by gravity, and the hope is that when the ship drifts near shore, the anchor will fetch up and keep the ship from the shore.

It does make salvage a bit harder, as without power, the salvors will have to cut the chain.

Lifesavers and heroes! These happen to be Brits but they can be found in most countries that share a coast line "That others may live"

6935405864_f7341026c9.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYygGt3bpGg7J1VtCIDnP_kbgWHBfSd8NBOkBVAXEY-_vShMod

20120912-%20Winchman%20on%20deck%20with%20Sea%20King.gif

I always admire my collegues who go down along my hoisting operations, not wanting to trade places :D

Lifesavers and heroes! These happen to be Brits but they can be found in most countries that share a coast line "That others may live"

6935405864_f7341026c9.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYygGt3bpGg7J1VtCIDnP_kbgWHBfSd8NBOkBVAXEY-_vShMod

20120912-%20Winchman%20on%20deck%20with%20Sea%20King.gif

Just talked to a colleague of mine, one of the Bristow hoist operators over there, is a Dutchmen, former operator on the AB412. He works at Bristow now, doing 2 week shifts on the Falklands. It was quite a busy day!

Just talked to a colleague of mine, one of the Bristow hoist operators over there, is a Dutchmen, former operator on the AB412. He works at Bristow now, doing 2 week shifts on the Falklands. It was quite a busy day!

I'm sure the crews of those four helos had their hands full. They're it and there's no backup

A very good rescue effort! Very surprised that it has not made the mainstream news in the UK.

I didn't realise that Bristows were also taking over the UK territories based SAR operations. I thought they were only doing the UK based ones. Most of which they now operate under the UK Coastguard names.

And a very useful lesson to those who want the abandon ship drill to be conducted in the warmth of the theatre or whine about having to stand during the mandatory pre-cruise roll call while the ship is tied securely to a dock. You should contemplate clambering into a tender swaying from its davits in driving cold rain, pitching seas, at night amid incipient panic. Knowing the route to the lifeboat station in the dark without elevators is the minimum every passenger should contribute to the safety of all on board.

And a very useful lesson to those who want the abandon ship drill to be conducted in the warmth of the theatre or whine about having to stand during the mandatory pre-cruise roll call while the ship is tied securely to a dock. You should contemplate clambering into a tender swaying from its davits in driving cold rain, pitching seas, at night amid incipient panic. Knowing the route to the lifeboat station in the dark without elevators is the minimum every passenger should contribute to the safety of all on board.

Makes you think doesn't it? I've flown in the RAF Sea-Kings during my RAF Service and can attest that these guys are very well trained.

Footage of the listing ship, being towed into Falklands Mare harbor by two Dutch tugboats, the Giessenstroom the Dintelstroom, which are commissioned by the MOD to operate on the Falklands.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3680665374001?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAACcS3ahoE~%2COSt6CCN6H-20ad_xEb3FLskS8beU2Zgi&bctid=4623316012001