Question on dress code

drcandon

Hi folks...It has been a while since we sailed on HAL due to life getting in the way..now that we are back and booked on an upcoming BtoB..I notice that the dress code or the wording as changed...It used to state Formal ..now the label is well...different. So I am curious if a Suit or dinner jacket is no longer required...I do have some nice dress sweaters ( not like Mr. Rogers) and would prefer to wear them. What has everyone observed on men on what used to be "forrmal" nights..

thanks

There are no dress rules any longer, just an opportunity to have a few special nights dedicated for those who want to dress up a bit more in the traditional way. But the doors remain open for any manner of dress, including some of the allegedly "prohibited" items according to some posters here: baseball caps and tank tops.

Last Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, which we expected had become much more casual on Gala night, still had a good number of tuxes and long formal gowns - very special. Most men were in dark suits and women in something dressy or sparkly.

This was a surprise for us since we had heard this itinerary segment would most likely be not "Gala" at all. We left the tux and long gown at home this time, and were sorry after all because there was plenty of dress up company on that cruise. (Late, fixed seating dining)

Bottomline: dress for your own comfort level.

Bring your sweaters - Mr. Rogers type or not. On our last cruise, one of the gentlemen at our table was turned away for not having a collared shirt (it was a long sleeve, henley style), so he went back to his cabin and changed. Later in the week, 2 tables away sat a man wearing the same henley style shirt and there didn't seem to be a problem letting him in. *shrugs shoulders* I give up.:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

You now have smart casual nights and Gala nights (which replaced formal nights).

On our 21 day repositioning cruise the majority of the men wore slacks and a collared shirt. We saw only a handful of men wearing suits and/or jackets with ties. And that was the same dress code in the Pinnacle Grill.

We had all our dinners in the Pinnacle Grill and we did see a couple of men on Gala nights wear non-collared shirts and no one said anything to them. Don't know about the dining room.

For men, the dress code every night, including gala nights, requires a collared shirt and long pants. T-shirts, tank tops, and shorts are not supposed to be allowed.

Gala nights are offered for a more dressed up look, if that's your choice. Certainly sports jackets (with or without tie), suits, and yes, even tuxedos are still seen. They may or may not be in the majority on any given cruise.

Would you feel funny if you were the only man at a table with a jacket ?
Heh... good point. I rather think that the middle way will work best for me. I'll probably bring a sport jacket along, but not a suit. That'll give me the most flexibility, based on how I'm feeling in the moment: Jacket or no jacket; and if "jacket", tie or no tie.

I'd feel very funny wearing a suit with no tie (but wearing a sport jacket with no tie is normal).

We disembarked from the Zuiderdam yesterday--a 10-day cruise to the Panama Canal. We had second seating dinner. Around 95 percent of the men wore coat and tie on the gala nights in the dining room at our seating. I only saw one man wearing a tuxedo.

One of our trivia teammates reported that on a non-gala night, her husband was turned away from the dining room to change from his shorts into long pants. Of course she had told him that shorts were not allowed, but he tried anyway.

• 3 months later...
But the doors remain open for any manner of dress, including some of the allegedly "prohibited" items according to some posters here: baseball caps and tank top

:eek:

Say it ain't so! :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry: