I have never had a massage and was

minnie00

thinking of trying one on the ship. I was thinking of booking one for the last sea day to help soothe out the week. I am curious which one would be a good choice for a newbie. I do have lower back problems...so would be a little sensitive there.

I was looking at the lime/ginger body massage. seems like my body would shine after that...;)

I do have lower back problems...so would be a little sensitive there.

Just be sure to tell them about your back issues. My DH had a painful ruptured disk in his back a couple of cruises ago and told them when he went for his massage. They're trained to know how to deal with issues like that. He totally enjoyed the massage.:D

Cheers!

Jayne

You might want to consider the spa taster, a mini facial and a 30 min. massage. It was pure bliss!!

I was wondering what the taster included....that sounds nice. I really wanted to get a facial. ;)

Just as on shore -- at any spa or holistic health center (which is my preference) -- it will vary depending upon the masseuse. Don't hesitate to tell her/him if the pressure is too light or too firm.

I had 2 full hour massages and the sampler on the Coral in April -- the sampler (facial & 1/2 massage which is a back massage) and the first full hour massage were great. Actually I enjoyed the facial there more than the ones done at the timeshare spa in Aruba. While not as good as my usual masseuse, they were good. And neither did any sales pitch etc.

The last one, unfortunately, was the masseuse from hell -- They give you a "medical" form that's more detailed than my MD uses for updating records. Normally, all any masseuse asks is "is there any medical condition I should be aware of?" Well, this masseuse from hell was very annoyed that I had refused to fill out this privacy-invasive form and then proceeded to attempt to sell me all sort of products even after I said "no sales pitch please".

do you guys do all your spa stuff at the beginning of your cruise to help you relax? I was thinking of doing the "taster" on our last sea day.

On our first sea day...we are doing the "rasul";)

Usually on the cruise the spa will have specials in the evening. It would mean missing dinner one night but I got 4 treatments for about $120.00. They left the flyer in our cabin 1 night or they have the flyers at the front of the spa.

JMO, but I would suggest you try one at a local spa or private therapist (my personal preference) first. Many chiropractors have them on staff or can make good recommendations. Especially for someone with back problems, I think it is best to make sure the person massaging you is properly trained.

I have been getting massages for many years. I think the quality varies greatly.

IMO, massages on ships are really overpriced, especially for the quality generally available and the fact they push you to buy products quite aggressively. That is not my idea of relaxation.

As much as I love massages, I gave up on cruise ship spa services years ago after less than satisfactory experiences.

How "heavy" is the massage? What about the pressures from a facial? I take a medication that causes a massive bruise with even the slightest bump. I can bruise myself just by carrying out the garbage and having the bag knock my leg.

I would love to have a massage, and a facial especially after a difficult flight and embarkation day., but do not want to look as though I have been mugged for the rest of the cruise.

Has anyone suffered bruising as the result of spa treatments. (on board Celebrity I had acupuncture, fortunately on my legs, because I ended up with bruises wherever the needle was put in.)

The spa seems to have a lot of specials and often they drop in price the later in the week that you wait. But that is not always the case. They had a special for $65 earlier in the week that was then advertised for $70 later in the week. Fortunately when my sister saw the $65 special she specifically asked if it was valid the entire week (and got the person's name she talked with) so they honored the $65 rate.

All that to say it is hard to know what the best time is to book stuff like this.

Usually there are specials for port days but then most people want to be in the port, not in the spa.

I actually pass on the spa at sea. On the ship, the prices are usually double what I pay back home. I just can't justify the price on the ship.

When you do go - make sure you tell them it is your first time. Don't hesitate to communicate with the person doing the massage - you can tell them to be more gentle or more firm, etc . .Tell them of any trouble areas - this will help a lot.

maybe I will lean towards a facial instead. :p

Actually the ginger/lime massage that you mentioned originally would probably be more relaxing. In my experience, on cruises and at other spas, facials generate more sales pitches and are especially annoying when they go on during each step of the facial, even when I've said that I'm not interested in the products.

Never have had any problems with getting the masseuse to be careful of my sometimes tricky back. After all, they probably get a bonus for a product sale, but might get the spa sued if they injure someone's back.

Last year I did a 'taster' on the RCCL line it was pick any 3 for like 89 or 4 for 120 etc...

I got a hair treatment, facial, and a neck and shoulders massage. I felt great for a couple weeks actually, but especially RIGHT after the rest of the cruise.

I booked it like 7 am on port day, so I did still have time to go ashore and all.

what about the massages they do on Princess Cays... anyone know prices / descriptions on those?

Meg

I avoid the spa on the ship - the services are overpriced and the quality is erratic, throw in the sales pitch, and it just isn't worth it.

I do have a regular therapist at home that is wonderful and have weekly neuromuscular massages ~ I usually schedule one for the day before leaving on a cruise and the day after I return, and never miss not visiting the spa on the ship at all.

I found that Celebrity would have spa specials on port days. I got a 1/2 hr back-1/2 hr foot massage for $89. It was great, esp since I booked it @ 4 pm after walking around Kona all day.

At home, we have a chiropractic school nearby and I get massages from the students who need to get in clinic time. If you are afraid of what to expect when getting a massage, this might be an alternative to try. The price is only $50 for a full hour and that is 1/2 what the local spa charges. The students get to keep their tips.

I had my first massage on the Crown. My husband and I had a couple's Sweedish massage in the Sanctuary's cabana. During the massage, I was completely relaxed, and I did enjoy it. However, when it was over and I got up to get dressed, I felt extremely nauseous and light headed. The masseuse explained that it was common to feel like that due to the toxins being released into my bloodsteam. They encouraged drinking a lot of water, and gave my a large glass of orange infused water and suggested that I rest. My husband and I went back to our room, and I relaxed on our balcony. Unfortunately, this deterred me from another visit to the Lotus Spa. I'll be sure to drink a lot of water prior to my next massage so this doesn't happen again!

In addition, the spa prices are high on the ship. They do offer a discount during port days, but they book up really quick.

Archived