Holland America vs. Princess?

Tina G

After 8 cruises with Princess, we are considering trying Holland America. We are in our mid-50's, retired, and like cultural and nature pursuits. What differences have you noticed in the two lines?

Interesting you should ask, I have been tossing up between HAL and Princess for a New England/Canada cruise, so I emailed a person I met on my last HAL cruise who was working on the ship, and then moved on to Princess, this morning he replied:-

This is a little extract from his email

On Princess as you would know, the guests are of average age - from 25 to around 60ish. I really enjoy princess, although I must say that the food on board is not as good as it is on Holland America.

I have sailed Pacific Princess but only out of Australia, and even though I just loved that little ship, I think HAL is superior all round, however the food bit got to me, I think that is a fairly important part of any cruise, so if we sail again it will be on HAL.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Val

I think the two lines are quite comparable. We love Princess (several cruises) and we loved our Ryndam cruise in July (see member reviews). Food on both is good to very good, in general. Each ship, chef and staff can vary so keep that in mind. We saw two great shows on the Ryndam but I feel Princess has more and better music/dancing options that appeal to a wider (including younger) age range.

I have only done two cruises, but one was on the Coral Princess and the other on HAL Zaandam. I agree with the others, that they are comparable, but with some differences. The cruise experience also varies, obviously, with your travelling companions. On Princess, I was in a group of ten people late 40s early 50s. On the Zaandam, I travelled with my mother, early 70s.

I loved both ships. The Coral was more ornate, whereas the Zaandam had a refined opulence. The shows on Princess were definitely better than on HAL. I thought the food on both was very good, but HAL definitely had better food in the Lido buffet. The age group on HAL was much older than on Princess, I would say by an average of about 20 years. The beds were better on Zaandam, and I really appreciated having a tub to shower in rather than the shower stall only on Princess.

All in all, I don't think one can go wrong with either line. Enjoy!

I've done Princess and I love, love her ships.

We're doing Oosterdam in April and then I'll be able to give a good perspective of both.

From what I've heard....they are both wonderful....the bedding and beds on HAL (if that's important to you) I've heard, is better. Although the beds on Princess were very nice. No comforters but very nice!

We're doing the Golden Princess in November and I'm so looking forward to it. Since I already know what to expect from Princess, I know I won't be disappointed!

We have just returned from the Star Princess. We have cruised on HAL several times recently.

Food....We find the food much better on HAL, especially the desserts and the food in the Lido, but in the dining room as well. The Lido (Horizon Court) on the Star Princess was congested and hot with a small, poorly arranged buffet area. The Dining Rooms on HAL are some of the most beautiful afloat, IMO. The Dining Room on the Star was very ordinary...No windows. Low ceilings.

Staterooms....Our balcony stateroom was well arranged, but the bedding was not nearly as comfortable as on HAL. We asked for and received an egg crate.

Our stateroom steward was quite good.

Entertainment....The main lounge/theatre shows on Princess were better than we usually find on HAL. The production values and the talent of the cast seemed much better. The bars and lounge acts were comparable to HAL, but often more lively.

The ship....Large, 2,600 passengers, ultra modern, highly sophisticated, but not really elegant in the old fashioned way...and not intended to be. We find the ambience on HAL much more pleasant and much less "in your face"

Specialty restaurant....The Tequila Steak House on the Star was much more pleasant than we have found the specialty restaurant on HAL to be....and not nearly so stuffy. The food is excellent in both...IMO.

Generally.....I don't think Princess provides nearly the quality experience that we find on HAL.

The day we returned home from the Star Princess cruise, we booked the Zaandam 10day Mexican Riveria cruise for this October. So, we are back with HAL.

We've done both, but until recently I have not been interested in Princess because of a very mediocre cruise I took in 1999. The ship was poor, the agenda was excellent. That ship (Sky Princess) is no longer in the Princess fleet.

We were recently on the Sapphire Princess in Asia and not expecting much at all. Well, let me tell you, Princess has changed for the MUCH better since 1999. The ship was beautiful, the service was excellent and the food was wonderful. For a large ship (about 2700 passengers) they were very well organized. Except on very few occasions there wasn't a "crowded" feeling.

We were so impressed we scheduled 2 more cruise with them. Princess and HAL are now in competition for our hard earned cruise dollars (we take 3 to 4 cruises a year). This choice will be made based on agenda, pricing and accommodations.

Both companies are in the Carnival Corp. family but they don't appear to share any secrets for success. Their target market appears to me to be the same. HAL could definitely learn a few things from Princess about organization and service. That said, both have lots of excellent qualities and I would heartily recommend either. Or both!!! :)

We cruise on both lines. We are Platinum cruisers with Princess and 100 day cruisers with HAL so have a fair idea of both lines.

I think overall HAL probably comes out a little higher than Princess in our opinion but that still doesn't stop us from cruising with Princess if we see an itinerary that we like.

HAL has definitely the best food in the Lido of the two lines and their dining room is also good though we were on the Regal Princess for 21 days and the food in the dining room was of a similar standard.

I do love the fresh flowers and art work that abounds a HAL ship and I also like the new Explorers lounge set up with the internet, library and coffee area.

I also like the maps of where we are going that are shown on the HAL ships. We went to Antarctica on the Regal Princess last January and no-one had any idea of where we were at any time.

There is a fresh pool and a seawater pool on the S and R ships of HAL which

is great.

Princess shines in the entertainment department and I think the averageage of the cruisers on board would be a little younger than HAL.

Jennie

I have sailed all middle market with the exception of Princess. We tend to have to sail during prime school break time. I am not comfortable with Princess as they seem to court the Spring break crowd on shorter intineraries and I don't want to deal with it.

I am hoping to do one of their Asian trips when schedules work. The intineraries and price can't be beat.

I have only previously sailed on the Golden Princess 5 years ago but we are going on our first HAL cruise next month on the Westerdam. We just LOVED the Golden Princess. It didn't hurt that we were upgraded from a mini suite to a Penthouse Balcony Suite and were married (for real--not just vow renewal) at sea by the Captain. At the time, Princess was one of the few cruiselines where you can get legally married at sea though I am not sure if others have followed since then. We found the food, service, entertainment and everything about Golden Princess to be top notch. We really liked being able to dine at a private table whenever we wanted, though in reality we sat at the same table the same time every night because we liked the waiter!

This time around we chose HAL because their Caribbean cruise ports are a bit more interesting to us than just going back to St. Thomas and St. Martin which seem to be the mainstays of many cruiselines. That penthouse suite on the Golden princess really spoiled us so we just HAD to book a balcony verandah suite on the Westerdam so we wouldn't be disappointed. We are traveing with our 9 year old daughter and wonder if she will enjoy the children's program on HAL---the kids pogram on Princess seemed fantastic but she was not with us for our last cruise. BTW, we are in our 40's. When we get back I will post a trip report and try to compare HAL and Princess some more.

Thank you for your information! Does Holland America have those tacky "art" auctions? Gold (plated) chains by the inch? EEW!:(

Unfortunately, yes they have both which we absolutely hate!! :mad: You cannot seem to get away from them. I hate the way the Art Auction prints and paintings are spread all over the ship. You cannot seem to be able to walk for all the "art" they have brought on board.

Jennie

We just got off the Diamond Princess last week. While we enjoyed ourselves and the ship, there are many small touches found on Holland America ships that we really missed. I really did not care for the Horizon Court (lido) arrangement. Crowded, with no logical flow to the process. HAL shines in this department, food wise, but the dining room food was comparable in most areas.

We were lucky to get traditional seating. I heard several people who had anytime dining complaining about the one to two hour waits, no matter which alternate restaurant they went to. I fear it will be the same when/if HAL migrates to this offering.

. We were lucky to get traditional seating. I heard several people who had anytime dining complaining about the one to two hour waits, no matter which alternate restaurant they went to. I fear it will be the same when/if HAL migrates to this offering.

Wow! We have had Princess anytime dining on most of our cruises, and except for the first night when they are checking ID's, we have never had to wait! I personally preferred traditional seating, but DH likes flexibility. It's certainly not a deal breaker.

Oh no! I thought I had read that we wouldn't see the "gold" by the inch on HAL. Too bad, guess it was just wishful thinking. I agree that both of these venues could leave forever and I would be a very happy camper.

Sadly yes, and I agree with you, tacky is a good word for both.

Madeline Rose:

Yes, they have "gold by the inch" and "art" auctions on HAL, just like other "premium" lines do. I simply ignore them, and haven't spent a penny yet on either. Unfortunately, these types of activities aren't going away, because apparently there are lots of other cruisers who don't feel as we do, and great are the profits to be reaped by the cruiselines on these enterprises.

To the Griswalds: If you didn't like HAL's Amsterdam, which is co-flagship of the fleet with the Rotterdam, you probably aren't going to like any other HAL ships. Maybe you could try the Vista class, but I have a feeling that HAL is not for you.

Karin

Before you conclude that Anytime Dining on Princess doesn't work, try reading this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=476157. It just goes to show that lots of people love Anytime Dining and have had good experiences with it. That's not to say there are never problems. But I do think Princess is responding to consumer demand in providing it as an alternative.

--Junglejane

Well, I know I have a high post count, but we've only cruised twice...Carnival Miracle in 2004 and the Grandeur of the Seas in 2006 (the Baltimore port is a 10 minute drive and both ships left from Baltimore). The Miracle, ioho, far surpassed the Grandeur in every aspect...make of that what you will. On the Grandeur, the pax were 3-4 deep in a very long line actually waiting for the faux gold salesperson to arrive. We found it very amusing and quite incredible. No, we'd never spend a penny at either venue. You're right, we're definitely in the minority and have decided that RCI nor Carnival are the right fit for us. We're on the Noordam in December and can't wait to experience HAL...my in-laws love HAL and recommended them highly. Again, we'll just be tuning out the "art" and the "gold". I'm a Karen, also. ;)

Madeline Rose:

Yes, they have "gold by the inch" and "art" auctions on HAL, just like other "premium" lines do. I simply ignore them, and haven't spent a penny yet on either. Unfortunately, these types of activities aren't going away, because apparently there are lots of other cruisers who don't feel as we do, and great are the profits to be reaped by the cruiselines on these enterprises.

Karin

Every time I take a cruise and it's been on many different lines....I see the pictures EVERYWHERE and that "gold on a rope", it's in the halls, in the stores, in the lobby; blocking the pathways.....with mobs of people clamered around it.....I don't get it.........

The art work can be interesting (not) but it's another way to get free champagne.....go to the auction....get your champagne, enjoy and move on!

Now, if they would just serve champagne while buying that rope junk!!! ;)

Archived