Warning: Do Not Use The Scooters!!

leanrunnerboy

If you're going to Bermuda for the first time..then please HEED this warning..tell any friends who might be planning a trip there. The daily onboard programs/port talks warn all passengers NOT to use the scooters / motor bikes whilst in Bermuda - for the simple reason that they're dangerous!

I've worked on several ships going to Bermuda & EVERY cruise there are accidents involving passengers. On my last trip there, a honeymoon couple from the ship had a terrible accident - he shattered his shoulder..

and she (a fitness instructor) smashed her kneecap! I found out later that they heard my warning during my port talk & ignored it..! :eek: The local authorities tell me scooter accidents involving both pax & locals are common & many fatal. Yes..yes..you'll hear people say they used the scooters & were fine..but then again..accidents happen..keep in mind the roads are very narrow..many blind corners & they drive on the LEFT side of the road. The BEST & SAFEST way to get around is to buy a bus/ferry pass (usually sold onboard prior to your arrival in Bermuda. It's a lovely island...have a safe & enjoyable cruise!

We were considering it last week but reconsidered once we saw the roads. The roads are busy and there are usually no sidewalks.

The one taxi driver told us that 8 people have died in traffic accidents since February!!

Thank you for your warning. DH and I had originally booked a bike tour but the more I thought about it...the more worried I became. Now that I read this I'm glad we chose a different tour.

I would not even consider a scooter rental...BUT-everyone should also be careful of those who do! When we were there,,I almost got run over by one..(young lady-"trying" to leave the rental area did not know how to drive it at all!)..I thankfully hugged the nearby wall..but was only safe by inches:eek:

We were considering it last week but reconsidered once we saw the roads. The roads are busy and there are usually no sidewalks.

The one taxi driver told us that 8 people have died in traffic accidents since February!!

It's now 9 - a person got killed on m/bike yesterday morning.

Not only the traffic is a big concern but so is remembering to drive on the left, which can be very confusing at turns. We rented mopeds on our honeymoon 30 years ago when we were young and restless (or is that wreckless!), and on our 20th rented scooters. Maybe it was our age or the increase in traffic, but we were definitely not as comfortable with them the second time around. Although they are useful for the locations off the beaten path, they can be a fright for heavy traffic areas.:eek: On our next cruise in August, we will just get a bus pass!

It is or was the fact that more and more people not only locals and tourists have died,but have had severe head injuries on the scooters..Lets not evn talk about ROAD TAN...On the last cruise from Boston to Bermuda when we returned back there were TWO ambulances waiting the ship..plus cruisers in a wheel chair and several with broken arms..The buses and ferries maynot be as excitng, but certainly they are safer

It is or was the fact that more and more people not only locals and tourists have died,but have had severe head injuries on the scooters..Lets not evn talk about ROAD TAN...On the last cruise from Boston to Bermuda when we returned back there were TWO ambulances waiting the ship..plus cruisers in a wheel chair and several with broken arms..The buses and ferries maynot be as excitng, but certainly they are safer

There seems to be concern in Bermuda and they are trying to address the situation and figure out what to do.

Parrot Mom

Are you still around, I need to ask you a question concerning something else.:)

There seems to be concern in Bermuda and they are trying to address the situation and figure out what to do.

Parrot Mom

Are you still around, I need to ask you a question concerning something else.:)

Still around and still cruising...parrotmom@verizon.net

If you read the Royal Gazette on-line you will see the accidents being reported

Every trip except one to Bermuda I have actually witnessed Scooter mishaps. And on every one I have met some who were injured. And I have gone more than a few times! That shows how common scooter accidents are.

My husband and I were stupid a few years ago and rented a scooter. Nothing happened, but boy oh boy was I praying the whole time! Not only do you ride on the opposite side of the road, but they have rotaries. Now being from MA, we are used to them, but not while riding on the opposite side of the road?!? The buses pass you going very fast and are very close. There were several passengers injured on our ship. It is just not worth is.

Back in 1960, DH and I rented a scooter or motor bike. There were very few cars on the road then and it was safe. We did the same thing several years ago...you can see the date of our Bermuda cruise below in my signature. I was petrified and DH had his own motorbike at home and knew how to operate it, but there was so much traffic and the driving on the wrong side of the road. When we got out to Castle Harbor, I took a taxi home and he brought the motorbike back. When we boarded the ship, that's when we were told about al the accidents on those things. Just don't do it.

That little ride was also responsible for an eye irratation I got. The wind was whipping into my face and when it hit the suntan lotion it caused my eyes to be itrritated. The next morning they were swollen almost shut and I had to call the opthamologist at home and get some meds from a Bermuda pharmacy, including a trip to a doctor to write the perscription.

On both previous cruises to Bermuda people were injured who rented scooters. I guess they were busy looking at the scenery and forgot that you drive on the left instead of the right.

We were going to rent scooters upon arrival in Bermuda this May. We disembarked in a torrential downpour with lightening. This and the high wind prevented us from renting, and now after seeing first hand the winding roads and the way the locals drive, it was a blessing in disguise. We're a pretty adventurous family but the bus system of travel was not only adequate but actually quite scenic on the south road overlooking the famous beaches. It was also a great way to meet and talk with the locals.

We were in Bermuda a couple of years ago on the Majesty (NCL). They had to move the ship from St Georges to King's Dockyard due to incoming weather.

When folks came back to find the ship gone many were upset. In one case, please don't quote me, they departed on scooter for Kings Wharf and were killed on the scooter shortly after. Don't know for sure if frustration was a factor but one might assume so.

The same trip I noted another older gent on a scooter and he couldn't keep it upright. He had no business being on one - but it's fun after all. Be sure you realize they are NOT just for recreation. It takes some being alert. I drive a Harley and I wouldn't ride a scooter there or on many other islands!

That's all.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these scooters the same as the EZ bike rides? We reserved this tour for our 6/22 cruise but after reading these posts there is no way! :eek: My husband has a motorcycle and I won't even get on the back of that.

Thanks,

Shari

No, the EZ bikes are regular pedal bikes with electric motor assistance, you still have to pedal. They go much more slowly and I think the tour tries to keep off the busy roads. I’ve talked to the owner a few times.

The last time I rented a scooter was over ten years ago. I was there on a land based vacation for 10 days. I had no problems with the scooter or traffic. I did have to visit the Emergency Room due to a nasty coral cut (yup, I drove myself on the scooter ;)) While I was at the ER for 45 minutes, six separate individuals/tourists came in with varying degrees of road rash from scooter mishaps. The pavement and especially the sharp rock cuts along the road, all over the island, are very unforgiving.

On our last two trips, we just made use of the great public transit system. We observed an increase in the amount of traffic and larger trucks over what we experienced in years gone by.

Eric

Back in 1960, DH and I rented a scooter or motor bike. There were very few cars on the road then and it was safe.

Even then, when people actually obeyed the speed limit and the volume of traffic was a fraction of what it is today, the motorbikes were dangerous. I lived on US NOB Bermuda in the 50's. Base personnel were frequently injured while riding motorbikes off base. Typically they would crash against the the high limestone wall, breaking arm/shoulder and then flop over and break the opposite leg. Those poor guys would go around for weeks in upper body casts with metal struts holding their broken arm up in the air. To add insult to injury, they would be assigned to "light duty," riding our old Navy school bus back and forth to Hamilton twice a day to keep the peace.

Knowing all that, whenever I see a red Vespa, I wish I were younger and less arthritic and could hop on and ride all the way from St. George's to Dockyard with lots of stops in between.:p :p :p

We are back from our cruise, 3 weeks now and I am still recovering. We rented mopeds 26 years ago on our honeymoon and decided to try the scooters with our kids a couple of weeks ago. We stayed out of the cities and were doing very well and enjoying ourselves. My husband in front, daughter, 21, behind, my son, 18 and me pulling up the rear. We had gone to one end of the island and were on our way back towards the ship. I thought I saw my son swearve a little and next thing I know I was on the ground in oncoming traffic. I still do not know how I got there (lost concentration or recated to him in some way). I am VERY lucky. Nothing but scrapes and bruises and pulled muscles. A couple of locals stopped and because something on my elbow was bleeding pretty bad they drove me to the hospital. They could not have been nicer. I had my family get back to return their scooters and after getting bandaged up at the hospital I took a cab back to the ship. We were having a ball and I was really enjoying myself, but there is ALOT more traffic than years back. When you are riding, even going the speed limit, traffic gets backed up behind you and they pass you, sometimes cutting into the party of 4, It is a little unnerving. You do feels some pressure, to keep up because of the traffic backed up behind you.

This was on a Saturday and not even workday traffic.

Next time, I'll gett a pass for the ferry and bus!

Just think... in Bermuda.. only one car is allowed per home...EXCEPT for Ross Perot who bought TWO homes so he could be allowed two cars.. Sorry about your accident.....be thankful it was only a bad scrape and nothing was broken..

I'm surprised at how many people are against the scooters... at least I won't have to worry about Oleander being all out of them on my next trip.

I highly recommend renting a scooter for anyone with a motorcycle license and experience driving one in traffic. Aside from driving on the left the roads in Bermuda, while narrow, are easy enough to drive... especially for anyone from a metro area back home.

While in Bermuda for one week in 2004 my wife and I would've been miserable without the scooter and the freedom it gave us to explore the island. We felt for the folks standing at the bus stops in the heat while we cruised from beach to beach.

I did notice a lot of tourists driving timidly and close to the shoulder while locals in cars were passing them. The scooter should be driven in traffic at the same speed, just like motorcycles at home, for your own safety. If you're uncomfortable keeping up with traffic, then the scooters are not for you.

Do watch out for the young locals on their hyped-out scooters.. some of them were crazy the way they weaved in and out of traffic :eek:

I'm surprised at how many people are against the scooters... at least I won't have to worry about Oleander being all out of them on my next trip.

I highly recommend renting a scooter for anyone with a motorcycle license and experience driving one in traffic. Aside from driving on the left the roads in Bermuda, while narrow, are easy enough to drive... especially for anyone from a metro area back home.

Unfortunately, many of the people renting them DON'T have the experience and may not be from a metro are.

Just a few highlights from a study that was done recently then published in the Royal Gazette.

Road injuries suffered by Bermuda residents have increased by 67 percent in ten years while 16 is the peak age for accidents, according to figures from a major new study. And an average of five people are hurt while driving daily while tourists are twice as likely to die on the roads than residents.

Tourists are 3.2 times more likely to be injured than residents

■ Nearly three quarters of the fatalities had sustained major head injuries

Archived