MDR lunch attire.

Has anyone been denied entrance to the MDR during lunch due to their attire? My husband and I were stopped from entering the dining room because of his sleeveless shirt, not a tank top. He questioned their policy as there were many girls/women entering the dining room with bathing suit cover ups and tank tops. The sign before entering reads, No tank tops, No shorts, No flip flops with NO reference to gender. While we understand the difference between men and women's attire, my husband questions their sexually discriminating policy. Has anyone experienced the same?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Nope, but not to sound snarky or rude, I don't try and break the rules. I know they say no sleeveless shirts, so I make sure my shirts have sleeves.

I will say I wish they were more uniform in enforcing their own rules, which is a common complaint on these boards. It would prevent all sorts of issues, one being what you are talking about.

we were on the NOS last March and many times on at sea days we would go the the MDR for lunch...tooti salad...ok if you are in anything other then a bathing suit...shorts...sleeves t shirt...flip flogs...JUST NO BATHING SUIT...WAS NEVER TURNED AWAY...and yes i wore flip flops...shorts over my bathing suit and a slevless t shirt...enjoy your lunch...THE TOOTI SALAD IS OUTRAGIOUS...a must if you are a salad lover...

I will say I wish they were more uniform in enforcing their own rules, which is a common complaint on these boards. It would prevent all sorts of issues, one being what you are talking about.

Agree 100%. If they enforced the rules consistently, then people would catch on. There would always be a minority who would push the limits, like with anything.

But then again, we would then lose a popular complaint thread and would be down to alcohol smuggling, hand washing and smoking rules. Well, and the always popular my cruise line is better than your cruise line. Maybe we would have to resurrect some kid threads, including but not limited to: my kid should drink alcohol even though they are under 21, my vacation so no one can tell me to keep the kid out of the adult areas, my diapered kid can go in the pools, what's wrong with pushing all the elevator buttons or (wait) my kid is so well behaved they should be able to go to the Chefs table.

NOT to give anyone any ideas to actually start those.

What is a tooti salad?

Tutti salad is offered in the MDR at lunch. Many different ingredients. You tell the servers what you want, they put it together and chop it up at the end.

From a previous thread :

Lunch is only served in the MDR on sea days. Do not miss this.... one of the best kept secrets on RCCL..... they have a menu from which you can choose (different day different menu) but the best thing is the Tutti Salad bar where you choose what you want and the server builds and dresses it for you. Absolutely delicious!

IMG_2638.jpg

Men and women are different....it's a fact. Women look fine in sleeveless shirts, or tanks with spaghetti straps...men do NOT. Hence, the dress code.

A tee shirt and shorts are fine for men at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Showing their hairy armpits (or backs or shoulders)is simply unappetizing! And while a buff, hairless young man with great guns would be fun to look at, the majority of male passengers do NOT look like that, so.....

I can certainly understand why they have the policy for sleeveless. Men vs. women. It's called hygiene, not discrimination.

And I did totally forget one day and had to go back and put a short sleeved shirt on. And as another person stated there will always be people who push the limit on things.

Men and women are different....it's a fact. Women look fine in sleeveless shirts, or tanks with spaghetti straps...men do NOT. Hence, the dress code.

A tee shirt and shorts are fine for men at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Showing their hairy armpits (or backs or shoulders)is simply unappetizing! And while a buff, hairless young man with great guns would be fun to look at, the majority of male passengers do NOT look like that, so.....

This time I have to agree with cb (a RARE occurance;)). Our son-in law was asked to change his tank top for a t-shirt at lunch. Perfectly reasonable request IMO:).

Another vote for, What's appropriate garb for men isn't necessarily appropriate clothing for women. And, again, not discrimination -- just appropriate social behavior.

As for bathing suits, I'd say NO to women, though if it's covered by a dress-type cover-up, I could see that the staff might not recognize that it's a bathing suit. A man in a pair of long swim trunks and a tee-shirt (all dry, of course) similarly might register with the staff as swimwear. Regardless, I personally would not go to the MDR in any type of swimwear.

Yes, the Tutti Salad is wonderful!

Tutti salad is offered in the MDR at lunch. Many different ingredients. You tell the servers what you want, they put it together and chop it up at the end.

Tutti means ALL in Italian. The tutti salad bar has many items offered including shrimp, prosciutto, sunflower seeds and other items you don't commonly see on a salad bar. It is very good!:)

My teenage son was refused entry on disembarkation day for breakfast in the MDR. He was wearing a tank top. I was so busy with last minute prep that I didn't notice he ignored the outfit I set out for him. We simply walked back to the cabin so he could change. The weird thing was they wouldn't seat my husband and daughter until we got back so they had to wait. But it ended up not being a big deal. We had a nice breakfast before leaving the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums