Water?

FWIW, we just got off the Vision Sunday- twice, we brought on board a (or two) large containers of water. Nobody blinked an eye.

I bet it will vary from ship to ship and who is working the entry point at the pier. My DW has a water bottle with a built in filter. Might be easier than hoping it gets on board and weighs much less! Available at places like Wally World, amazon etc.

Standard response:

Bob points out its against the rules, but usually not enforced.

A bunch of people say "it worked for me".

I point out that ship's water is better than bottled water anyway. If you just want it for convenience, bring a couple of sport bottles that you can fill and keep in the fridge.

Standard response:

I point out that ship's water is better than bottled water anyway.

Wrong, the ships water is not of very good quality. It is very cloudy which means there is a lot of dissolved particles.

Fill the bathroom sink and you may notice a yellowish color. I have noticed this on all of our cruises.

We do drink the water on the ships. On the last 2 cruises we carried 2 six packs of bottled soda on the ship in a back pack. They were inspected to make sure the seals were intact and passed right through.

Edited by fred30

As Bob has said, it's technically prohibited but I have never seen anyone come on here and say they had their bottled water taken away from them.

I have seen many cruisers bring an entire case of water aboard, and never once has security or anyone else stopped them.

The water on board actually tastes fine. You can carry a big cup to have some at night from the drink areas if you don't like faucet water, although it's all fine. I believe they mostly desalinate and filter sea water. The pools and hot tubs are salty, filtered sea water. The toilets are anyone's guess. I don't suppose it matters!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The yellow to brown cloudiness sometimes found in ship's water is caused by maintenance of the piping system. Due to the requirement for residual chlorine in the water, this chlorine tends to form a thin scale layer on the inside of the piping. As long as the water fills the pipes, and continues to flow (the water on the ship is in continual recirculation, unlike municipal supplies), this scale stays where it is, and has no effect on the water. When the system is shut off in a section, and the pipes drained for repair, the scale dries out and falls off the pipe walls. When the system is placed back in service, the scale particles get circulated around and tend to find the places where the water is still, which are the short branch lines going to each sink and shower, and will collect there. When the sink tap is turned on, this cloudy water comes out, but typically will clear after a minute or so of running the water.

The highest concentration of any minerals in ship's water comes if the ship loads water in port, as this will be the local municipal water, and will have that municipality's "hardness". Otherwise, the water is distilled from seawater, and since this is boiled water that is condensed back into water, there are no minerals, salts, or anything in it. Also, water is made by reverse osmosis, where the water is forced through a porous membrane, and the pore size only allows things the size of or smaller than a water molecule to pass. Most mineral salts that are present in water are larger than the water molecule itself, and cannot pass.

There are only two things allowed in the drinking water on ships: chlorine (sodium hypocloride) and calcium carbonate (the antacid ingredient in Tums) used to control pH.

As for the toilet water, it is exactly the same fresh water as used everywhere else on the ship. The water supply for the toilet branches right off the water supply to the sink and shower, just like it does in your home.