Service Dog

hovank

We would like to take a cruise; however, we are not sure what is required to travel with a service dog. Most importantly, the details and paperwork to reenter the US. We would NOT plan to disembark anywhere in any ports.

Any input would be great.

I'd suggest contacting celebrity "special needs" department to discuss.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_special_needs

The following is on that page:

"Service Animals are welcome onboard all ships except those sailing to the United Kingdom (UK) due to DEFRA regulations. Learn more about rules, regulations and accommodations for them here."

and

"Celebrity warmly welcomes service dogs on all ships except those sailing to the United Kingdom (UK) due to DEFRA regulations. Please note we do not accept pets.

A service dog is defined as "any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability." Service dogs are not considered pets.

Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful, but not required (such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses and/or tags or the credible verbal assurance of the person with a disability using the animal).

We provide 4 feet by 4 feet relief areas with cypress mulch to accommodate service dogs. Sod for sailings from the U.S. can be provided if request in advance and is available. Relief areas are provided on a shared basis with other service dogs onboard. Please note that The Lawn Club on Solstice class ships is not designated as a relief area.

Please notify our Access Department at time of booking but no later than 30 days prior to sailing if a service dog relief area is needed.

Service dogs are permitted to accompany the person with a disability in all public areas, including dining venues. While in public areas, service dogs must be on a leash, harness, or other restraining device. Due to health regulations, service dogs are not permitted in pools, whirlpools or spas.

Care and supervision of the service animal is the sole responsibility of the owner. The ships are not required to provide food or care for the animal.

Guests may bring a reasonable quantity of food and bowls for the dog onboard the ship at no additional charge. If refrigerated space is needed, notify our Access Department at time of booking, but no later than 30 days prior to sailing.

Guests are responsible for obtaining all required permits for service dogs to depart the ship in non-U.S. ports. Guest must carry a copy with them on the ship, and leave a copy with the Guest Relations Desk after boarding the ship.

Visit the U. S. Department of Agriculture's website to obtain specific information on required documents for service dogs. All documentation and immunization requirements are established by government authorities and not Celebrity Cruises. Please note requirements are subject to change without notice.

If the guest chooses to disembark the ship at a port at which the service dog must remain onboard, the guest must make arrangements to ensure that the dog is cared for. Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended."

If you head over to the Disabled boardhttp://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 there is a group that is devoted to Service Dogs on cruises. It is very long - well over 5000 posts. But they chat daily, talk about all the places and cruises they go, and you can get a lot of info about cruising with your service dog.

They also discuss the difference between a service dog and other support dogs. For example, only a real service dog is entitled to cruise with you, and there are certain behaviors that are expected. Emotional support dogs are not the same as service dogs, are often not well trained, and may not be welcome - particularly if poorly behaved and trained.

They also discuss the difference between a service dog and other support dogs. For example, only a real service dog is entitled to cruise with you, and there are certain behaviors that are expected. Emotional support dogs are not the same as service dogs, are often not well trained, and may not be welcome - particularly if poorly behaved and trained.

According to Celebrity they do not care if it is a certified service dog or an emotional support dog:

Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful, but not required (such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses and/or tags or the credible verbal assurance of the person with a disability using the animal).

Thankyou all for the input. I have the special services site. It was the information to bring the dog back into the US that I was looking for. I do not know what would be needed for customs etc.

Thank you again.

According to Celebrity they do not care if it is a certified service dog or an emotional support dog:

They may not care but I would be pretty annoyed if there was a yapping dog in the cabin next to me.....and as a hotel manager I can verify that "emotional support dogs" occasionally fit this category....

And please don't tag me as an animal hater...I'm not...I have 3 cats..have had dogs all my life etc...just stating a fact from my own professional experience. A trained service dog is QUITE different than an emotional support dog.

They may not care but I would be pretty annoyed if there was a yapping dog in the cabin next to me.....and as a hotel manager I can verify that "emotional support dogs" occasionally fit this category....

And please don't tag me as an animal hater...I'm not...I have 3 cats..have had dogs all my life etc...just stating a fact from my own professional experience. A trained service dog is QUITE different than an emotional support dog.

It is my understanding that the cruise lines are required to follow the ADA and under the law they are not allowed to ask for proof that the animal is a service animal. That may be why they don't seem to care. Hotels and restaurants are under the same laws and cannot ask for proof. Alot of the establishments ask for proof but they are just unaware of the law.

It is my understanding that the cruise lines are required to follow the ADA and under the law they are not allowed to ask for proof that the animal is a service animal. That may be why they don't seem to care. Hotels and restaurants are under the same laws and cannot ask for proof. Alot of the establishments ask for proof but they are just unaware of the law.

As a hotel operator I understand that completely....I was just making the point about the difference in the animals and the problems that can occur with one that is not actually trained as a service animal.....

Thankyou all for the input. I have the special services site. It was the information to bring the dog back into the US that I was looking for. I do not know what would be needed for customs etc.

Thank you again.

We travel with a guide dog for the blind. We always take a copy of the dog's health certificate and vaccinations. The ship will want that. Other countries can be much pickier than the US. For instance there are Caribbean islands that enforce quarantine, and your dog will not be allowed off the ship. The US Department of Agriculture is an excellent source for information for the various countries you will be visiting. I would be happy to try to answer any questions you have.

As a hotel operator I understand that completely....I was just making the point about the difference in the animals and the problems that can occur with one that is not actually trained as a service animal.....

Sorry, I should have quoted the post prior to yours...

And I thought only folks from California had "emotional support dogs"!

While the cruise line is not allowed to ask for proof of the service dog, they are allowed to ask what it does for the passenger. Additionally, if the dog mis-behaves or the owner doesn't follow the rules, the ship has the right to put them off.

If you read the last few pages of posts, one of the regular contributor tells a story of a recent cruise she took where one of those yapping dogs was on as a "service dog" and she fed it in places she shouldn't. Many complaints happened. As a result, that person is now banned from a cruise line.

We are animal lovers, esp. dogs, and think service dogs are wonderful. But. Some people who just can't leave Fido behind are claiming them as service dogs. They are of course a small minority, the same percentage of people, who are inconsiderate and selfish, that is found in the general population. Our last cruise an Elite member had a large hairy mix which accompanied her into the evening event each night. This dog was not well trained, would not sit still, begged for food, and was also pretty slobbery. I really don't think it was a true service dog, or it had been allowed to forget it's training. In fact, it pretty much acted like any normal dog around food. But, no one asked the owner to leave the dog at the door. :confused:

We are animal lovers, esp. dogs, and think service dogs are wonderful. But. Some people who just can't leave Fido behind are claiming them as service dogs. They are of course a small minority, the same percentage of people, who are inconsiderate and selfish, that is found in the general population. Our last cruise an Elite member had a large hairy mix which accompanied her into the evening event each night. This dog was not well trained, would not sit still, begged for food, and was also pretty slobbery. I really don't think it was a true service dog, or it had been allowed to forget it's training. In fact, it pretty much acted like any normal dog around food. But, no one asked the owner to leave the dog at the door. :confused:

This sums it up well. The whole service/support dog thing is becoming a scam. I see it at my airline all the time. Everyone is so paranoid of getting sued they won't object. I once saw a good size pit bull, a so called support dog get off an airplane that had just thrown up behind first class.

There was no way this was anything other than the guys regular dog. I'm a huge dog person but again, this is becoming a scam.

It is quite easy to detect if a dog is a trained service dog.....if offered food by a stranger and they take it, it is not a trained service dog. If it pulls on the leash, it is not a trained service dog. Etc.

This is a very difficult area for cruise lines due to our loosely written laws and litigious society, but I would like a "service animal" that is not well trained confined to the cabin...with someone (e.g. the passenger) to care for the animal, except for bathroom walks. It should be clear in the contract that this may occur....and it should be used only in egregious cases.

I love animals but I loathe those who take advantage because they are "special" people.

Not to get off topic----but agree that the service dog in the air plane cabin is being taken advantage of! We know of two people who do this---they get a DR note stating they have severe flying anxiety and get to bring thier dog on the plane! Yes they have to pay for a ticket for the dog--but still! They have no anxiety---they just want the dog with them--vice underneath in the belly of the plane. Its people like that---that ruin in for everyone

Not to get off topic----but agree that the service dog in the air plane cabin is being taken advantage of! We know of two people who do this---they get a DR note stating they have severe flying anxiety and get to bring thier dog on the plane! Yes they have to pay for a ticket for the dog--but still! They have no anxiety---they just want the dog with them--vice underneath in the belly of the plane. Its people like that---that ruin in for everyone
On most airlines you do not need to claim your dog is a service dog,just pay the fee and provide the needed health certificates.

On most airlines you do not need to claim your dog is a service dog,just pay the fee and provide the needed health certificates.

In these two cases--they are large dogs--and required a DR note--which is surprisingly easy to obtain (at least for them)

I can guarantee that if I were to make my 21 month old Old English Sheepdog a companion/comfort dog, companies would start looking for documentation as to the service the dog provides after one visit from her. Sadie would be running around giving out free kisses (I say she is the only dog I've owned that can't hold her licker), accepting bribes in the form of treats and letting everyone know she is there.

Seriously, a companion/comfort dog should have the same training as an ADA service dog. They should not be allowed on furniture, at tables (only underneath), should not be fed at the table, should not respond to anyone while they are working, etc. It is a shame that people can't leave their dogs home, I'm sure the dogs would appreciate being away from them for a while. And it is a shame that cruise lines, hotels, airlines, etc. can not ask for documentation, because anyone with a true service dog has no problem supplying it. I don't believe the ADA considers comfort /companion dogs as service dogs (and they are not under the same ADA federal laws), since they do not provide a task to their owner. Also, I believe it is against the law to pass your dog off as a service dog when it is not.

While the cruise line is not allowed to ask for proof of the service dog, they are allowed to ask what it does for the passenger. Additionally, if the dog mis-behaves or the owner doesn't follow the rules, the ship has the right to put them off.

If you read the last few pages of posts, one of the regular contributor tells a story of a recent cruise she took where one of those yapping dogs was on as a "service dog" and she fed it in places she shouldn't. Many complaints happened. As a result, that person is now banned from a cruise line.

I can see banning the dog, but the person. At this time I'm not traveling with a dog. I do plan on living in England and France for 3 months a year. You can travel on Cunard on the TA to/from US and England.

I can see banning the dog, but the person.

At this time I'm not traveling with a dog. I do plan on living in England and France for 3 months a year with my pet. You can travel on Cunard on the TA to/from US and England. Cunard has kennels that you can visit and play with your dog. Your pet also gets and sign and sail card.

Now that the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) has been extended to the USA, you can bring your dog or cat to the UK without six months quarantine, provided that the animal meets all the PETS requirements.

You also can bring them in the airplane cabin. I think they have to fit under your seat. I'm not sure how it works with business and 1st class sleepers.

Richard

I suspect few are aware that in 2010, the ADA was clarified by the department of justice with the following wording:

Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken [/i]

In addition, they note that the law only applies to Dogs. They did, however, add a separate regulation that covers miniature horses (seriously).

Note: In several states falsely impersonating a person with a disability and service dog is a class C Misdemeanor which includes a fine and/or jail time. In some cases it can be a federal felony which, if found guilty, could prevent the individual from claiming social security.

There is a law pertaining to aircraft that is broader than the ADA's new definitions, however that law does not apply to cruise ships.

Archived