What is the story (if any) behind your "handle"

popcan

Just got to wondering, how do people pick their CC names.

Mine is an anagram from when I used to work for P&O Ports (Canada).

In short form, that became "POPCAN". Probably not what most people think when they see the name. :)

(P&O Ports in Canada were eventually bought by Dubai Ports World, but "DUPWOR" didn't have the same cache, so I kept my old name. :rolleyes: )

What's the story behind your CC name?

Edited by popcan

I first signed on to CC as a lark, never thinking I would stick around for a long time. My oldest grandchild was named Ami and he couldn't pronounce Mema which is what I wanted to call. Instead he called me Mama. Thus, mama of ami. Since I am now Mama to four other grand kids, luckily none of them see CC.

That little boy who couldn't pronounce my name, is now driving a car and looking at colleges for next year.:)

Mine is pretty easy...

I live in the Pacific Northwest, thus Mr NW Guy

Since I am only a few degrees further north of you, I salute your choice of locale! :)

MAMAOFAMI.... now that's one I NEVER would have figured out! Thanks!

Edited by popcan

Since I am only a few degrees further north of you, I salute your choice of locale! :)

MAMAOFAMI.... now that's one I NEVER would have figured out! Thanks!

Shhh.... don't let it out that we live in paradise.

Well, yesterdays storm and today's September snow in the mountains have me wondering what this winter has in store for us.

Mine is an anagram from when I used to work for P&O Ports (Canada)

And here I thought you enjoyed an occasional can of sodapop!

I guess anyone could figure out where mine came from. I signed onto TripAdvisor last year for our Antarctica expedition as Victoriann, and I wasn't allowed - I had to have a number or something, so they suggested the "o" should be "0".

The meaning of mine is pretty obvious; the story is why I chose it. We had booked a 49 day cruise on Carnival Dream around South America. Less than 2 weeks before sailing my DD who is in the travel business suggested I check out Cruise Critic. Looked at the Roll Call and they were talking about getting their Brazil visas. But Carnival had told me that I didn't need one. I was anxious to post a question on the roll call, but needed a handle to be able to post. Tried three or four that had something to do with my Navy background (like Old Sailor) and they had already been taken. So I had to think of something that would identify just me. Logged on and asked if I really needed a visa. They replied that I wouldn't get on otherwise. Called Carnival and they said "Oh, we made a mistake - we have never sailed to Brazil before" Well, we got the visa in time and about 100 passengers had to go to Miami and get their visa and meet the ship in Barbados. That is when I learned the value of Cruise Critic.

I am a quilter. My first name is Cecelia , everyone called me Cely . sooo C (Cely) Q (quilts) Cqis. Someone has Cquilts and someone else is Cely as their e-mail.I believe we hace a Cely on CC that is not me.

After my first cruise in the mid 1990's, NCL was having a contest to name a new ship. I entered 'Sapphire', as I was so taken with the color of the water while out at sea.

This was also the time I was becoming part of the online world, so I dropped a 'P' and became Saphire.

Years later, wouldn't you know it, "my" name was chosen by Princess!

Well if you say mine out loud it's clear -- mom at ibm. When I signed up for ebay you had to have a username -- couldn't use your email in the 'olden' :rolleyes: days. So it's become my go to user name -- even tho I am now retired from IBM.

Mine is an anagram from when I used to work for P&O Ports (Canada).

In short form, that became "POPCAN". Probably not what most people think when they see the name. :)

(P&O Ports in Canada were eventually bought by Dubai Ports World, but "DUPWOR" didn't have the same cache, so I kept my old name. :rolleyes: )

What's the story behind your CC name?

I was a Registered Nurse for 30 years, now retired, over 60, therefor GeriatricNurse! ;)

I'm in my 26th or 27th year of teaching 6th grade - all at the same school. I'm lucky enough to be 5 miles from my parking spot at home to my parking spot at school - 3 stop signs on the way over, 1 on the way home. Can you tell we're in a rural area?

I love teaching and 6th graders are such fun - still kids but wanting to be treated in a more grown-up manner. In our district they are still in the elementary school and our school is a small rural one - 3 buses bring in all our kids.

Anyway, I "luvteaching" and that's my story!

Karen

Mine is taken from my grandmother's name. She was Clara Ellen Surname. Taking the "C" from her first name and "ëlle" from her middle name gave me Celle.

It's a trubute to one strong and feisty woman who, with a semi-invalid husband, raised 6 children, taught in a tough school in London's East End and (in her spare time!) ran a cafe and shop. She taught me to read when I was three and introduced me to a world of books - to which I can always escape when times are hard. Thanks, Grandma!

My handle comes from Bumper Morgan, the protaganist of a TV show called The Blue Knight. The character, Bumper, was an old time policeman who had stayed on the job way too long and his backside was two night sticks wide.:D

Well, I don't know, but my eyes are green and I am of half-Irish ancestry, so I started to think along that vein and that old song "Irish Eyes Are Smiling" popped into my head and I just turned it around to be "Irish Eyes Are Sailing". It was just a fluke. Otherwise it probably would have been something related to cats.....(of which I have three!:))

script_ohio_header.jpg

“Script Ohio” has been an Ohio State University tradition going on 77 years. Begun in 1936, “Script Ohio” includes a revolving block “O” at the beginning, the curved formation of the word “Ohio,” and the “dotting of the I” by the sousaphone player.

More history: http://library.osu.edu/projects/OSUvsMichigan/scriptohio.htm