Catalonia Indep. Referendum effect on Barcelona tourism?

emTnesTers

EnricM, thanks for all of the information thus far!

Can you please let us know what area of Barcelona all of the demonstrations have been taking place? Still making final decisions re: hotel for the end of next week.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WHERE?

As in any major city elsewhere, these sort of demonstrations take place near the symbolic places or near the centres of power, and in Barcelona is the same. Most demonstrations have been developing in places in l'Eixample (Passeig de Gràcia, Gran Vía.... ) and in certain places in the Old City (Via Laietana, Plaça Sant Jaume, Estació de França...) But there have been also gatherings in other places (ie. in front of the two Spanish police HQs, in Gràcia and in Via Laietana....)

I am sure everybody understands by now this is not "a strike" or "a demonstration of a few citizens showing disagreement" but a general discontent across the vast majority of the population here in Catalonia, hence it's rather adventurous to say "this is when or where the next demonstration is going to happen". Despite life goes on most days, from time to time there are large demonstrations to express that discontent... and "large" means that, obviously, whole areas are affected. Demonstrations tend to be convoked a few days in advance only, or sometimes they happen spontaneously according to ongoing developments. However, I will point out again that none of these has been anything else but peaceful, noisy but peaceful.

While these demonstrations are peaceful on the citizens' side, one should notice the thousands of paramilitary Spanish police forces displaced to the region -the same that heavy-handedly repressed the citizens going to vote last Sun 1st- are still stationed in or near Catalonia so their presence could hint potential charges. While this is unlikely -for now anyway- due to the widespread international condemnation of their actions on voting day, it's always a possibility.

So as not to be confused:

1- City Police (Guardia Urbana): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/GuardiaUrbanaBarcelona.JPG/1200px-GuardiaUrbanaBarcelona.JPG

2- Catalan Police (Mossos d'Esquadra): http://www.elnacional.cat/uploads/s1/19/30/11/6/Mossos%20d%27esquadra%20ACN.JPG

3- Spanish Police (Policia Nacional): https://www.actuall.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/636424532631237248w-696x525.jpg

4- Spanish paramilitary police (Guardia Civil): https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/uploads/s1/83/70/08/guardia-civil-vallenc_10_670x355.png , front http://e00-elmundo.uecdn.es/assets/multimedia/imagenes/2017/09/20/15059028713304.jpg

Note: I've purposely shown pictures of 3 and 4 in riot/combat gear because the units displaced these days to Catalonia are of such nature.

The first two are autochthonous to Catalonia. As things have developed, one needs to be aware of the last two. A quick tip to identify the different police forces: bright yellow=1, red patches=2, small Spanish flag on their back next to the word "policia"=3, green with Spanish flag on arm=4 Yet it's far easier than you think, just looking at the different poses and attitudes.

Regardless these notes, one should understand that albeit there's a tense calm, life goes on as usual, and as I've been saying before, so far -and except for the day of the stoppage last Oct 3rd- people go to work, shops and restaurants are opened, kids are at school, transportation runs fine, and tourists continue to pour in by the thousands visiting whatever is they come to visit. Forecasting future events is complicated at present so my best advice is just to stay tune, without fretting, I shall repeat: this ain't a banana republic.

Edited by EnricM

EnricM, thank you for the detailed information. We arrive Wednesday and are very much looking forward to our visit prior to a cruise. Off topic: One of our grandsons wants a Barcelona FC shirt with Messi's name on it. Where could I find this?

... best advice? directly into one of the official FCB shops. There's one conveniently located in one of the sides of Plaça Catalunya Square, corner with Rambla Catalunya. Alternatively, there are souvenir shops all over town where they offer these jerseys too, much cheaper, but the vast majority are bad quality Chinese copies.

... best advice? directly into one of the official FCB shops. There's one conveniently located in one of the sides of Plaça Catalunya Square, corner with Rambla Catalunya. Alternatively, there are souvenir shops all over town where they offer these jerseys too, much cheaper, but the vast majority are bad quality Chinese copies.

Thank you. This is not far from our hotel so will definitely go there. Our grandson was quite emphatic that he wanted a high quality shirt. "Feel the material to be sure it is good," he said.

... not in the loop, but expect around 70€ for a jersey -adult size- (give or take) when bought at the official stores. Note also, that you can purchase a jersey with a number and have your gson name printed -instead of the player's name. That's very popular among many visitors too.

Also, if you're a sports fan yourself, you might want to include a visit to the FCBarcelona stadium, which includes a visit to its museum... amazing! If you were to visit the premises, there's a large official FCB store there too... larger choice of items!

Eric, Thank you so much for your first hand information. We are arriving on Nov 1 and plan to spend the next several days exploring Barcelona (we hope), prior to boarding for cruise.

There is some concern regarding possible work slow downs.

Can you recommend a private car service for pick up at the airport, CAN ANYONE recommend a car service.

Thanks so much!!!

As I said, guys, this is an ongoing (and very exciting for many of us) development, but we're in uncharted waters -as, in fact, any independence movement is- so information needs to be followed day by day,

Encouraging news for the residents of Catalonia that instead of declaring independence their leaders will work towards a negotiated settlement & hopefully there'll be a peaceful resolution to this situation.

"He (Puigdemont) asked the regional parliament in Barcelona to suspend the effect of the vote so talks could begin - rather than breaking away immediately".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41574172

You've misunderstood:

The President of Catalonia HAS DECLARED INDEPENDENCE this afternoon in front of the Parliament as a result of the vote emitted last Sunday in which the YES camp massively won. Period. However, in lieu of a growing number of international actors pressuring for an orderly settlement (read, sharing the burden of the massive Spanish debt!) he has asked the Parliament permission to suspend the effects of the declaration for a limited time (weeks) in order to give a chance to the Spanish government to enter into such negotiations. This is, in summary, what has happened today... and we now have to wait and see the response of the Spanish government -probably tomorrow.

Now interested parties (from the EU, to the Commission to the Council of Europe but as well the IMF and other international bodies) will exert pressure on the Spanish side to achieve a satisfactory result which ensures a smooth transition that doesn't rock the economic boat too much, and most importantly, that ensures Spain won't default. Regrettably, this is all that matters to these actors in the international community.

However, it's important to note that Declaration of Independence has been issued already, albeit its effects have been immediately suspended... for a limited time.

For now, from a visitor point of view, LIFE GOES ON.

... not in the loop, but expect around 70€ for a jersey -adult size- (give or take) when bought at the official stores. Note also, that you can purchase a jersey with a number and have your gson name printed -instead of the player's name. That's very popular among many visitors too.

Also, if you're a sports fan yourself, you might want to include a visit to the FCBarcelona stadium, which includes a visit to its museum... amazing! If you were to visit the premises, there's a large official FCB store there too... larger choice of items!

Bought jersey at the FC Barcelona shop on Rambla de Catalunya. They had two qualities - one was sold exclusively at the FC Barcelona shops here (165), the other sold online and elsewhere (100).

Arrived this morning and no problems getting from airport to hotel, except for the traffic. Very invigorating walking around with all of the people out and about. Looking forward to our few days here before the cruises, once recovered from jet lag!

Eric, Thank you so much for your first hand information. We are arriving on Nov 1 and plan to spend the next several days exploring Barcelona (we hope), prior to boarding for cruise.

There is some concern regarding possible work slow downs.

Can you recommend a private car service for pick up at the airport, CAN ANYONE recommend a car service.

Thanks so much!!!

Have in mind that Nov 1 is holiday...

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

There is another rally or demonstration scheduled for Oct. 12. I do not know what it is for, I saw a notice about it on FB. It may once again shut down Barcelona. Maybe Enric can tell us what this is about.
October 12 is the Spanish national holiday ("Spanishness" day). In Madrid there are military parades. Usually there are demonstrations all over the country, and, past years, rather minority. However, with the political situation this year, they could be not as minority as usual.

Expect as well shops closed like on Sundays.. .

Sure Enric can explain this much better, since my English has to improve a lot...

October 12 is the Spanish national holiday ("Spanishness" day). In Madrid there are military parades. Usually there are demonstrations all over the country, and, past years, rather minority. However, with the political situation this year, they could be not as minority as usual.

Expect as well shops closed like on Sundays.. .

Sure Enric can explain this much better, since my English has to improve a lot...

Your English seems pretty good to me. I understand exactly what you are telling us. Thank you and please keep on posting all this good info. We over here need all the help we can get. :):):)

Anna, for God's sake, your English seems good to me! I also welcome another Barcelonan to join this conversation so as to have more on-the-ground points of view about the situation.

As Anna was saying, Oct 12th is the Spanish National Holiday, but here in Catalonia, it has never been anything more than a 'compulsory' holiday -a day in which shops and offices are closed. Contrary to other areas in Spain, the feeling of Spanishness is rather limited -as you've all been able to see these past weeks! Thus, as mentioned, this day is normally to be treated as any regular Sunday, that is, the vast majority of shops are closed (except for a few convenience stores, kiosks and bakeries), offices too of course, but restaurants and museums are open -locals do entertain too! Yet do not expect, like in Madrid, military parades, open-day for museums and attractions nor major displays of Spanish nationalism or anything of that sort.

HOWEVER... this year is, as you can imagine, different.... for example, there's a demonstration called by the "unionists" -those that are against the independence of Catalonia- which is expected to run thru Passeig de Gràcia on Oct 12th at 10am and end in Plaça Catalunya. Most of the demonstrations called by the same organisations that have called this one rarely gather more than 5,000 people at most, but given the circumstances, this one can be a bit larger. I believe this must be the demonstration mentioned earlier by @susiesan, but don't worry, this demonstration will not shut down anything -but traffic in a handful of streets... if so!

In normal circumstances, I would assure everybody that, much like the pro-indy demonstrations, these unionists demonstrations are peaceful, as the people legitimately demonstrating, regardless how noisily, are also peaceful in nature. Yet unfortunately that's not always the case, small violent ultra-right and fascists groups infiltrate the demonstrations of the unionists and can, sometimes, cause trouble -much like hooligans of certain football clubs, I guess you know what I mean. So, while I wouldn't change my plans for that day if I planned to visit that area because I doubt there'll be trouble, I would be extra vigilant... just in case. Some of the places popular among foreign visitors that are in that area include: Casa Milà (La Pedrera), Casa Batlló or Casa Amatller.

Also, a number of small shops owners everywhere in Catalonia -including Barcelona- have decided to protest by defying the obligatoriness of closing on this Spanish holiday and not to close this day and treat it as any other working day. Some major chains (like for example IKEA or a few of the fashion chains) might be open too because they "run" on a pre-agreed calendar which includes opening on certain holidays.

Edited by EnricM

Enric,

you are obviously a pro-indy partisan and as such not in the majority even in Catalunya according to recent surveys. The referendum got a majority of the votes pro-independence, however, only 43% of the voters did vote. The majority stayed away rather than vote in an illegal referendum. Your practical advice is excellent. However, your political views are not in the proper forum. At least, not unless other Catalonians express their opposing views in favor of unity.

Sure, thanks for your p.o.v. marazul, but since you're obviously unaware of far too many details I will not start a debate on this issue with you. Feel free to ignore my posts, should you prefer to do so. Thank you.

Al contrario, Enric, estoy muy bien informada de la situación en Cataluña. Estoy segura que haz presenciado la demostración pro-España hoy en Barcelona.

And for the benefit of English speakers. Here is a picture of the pro-Spain demonstration today in Barcelona. Enric does not want to start a debate on the issue, only to express his opinions. There is a completely opposite point of view to Enric's. One that is supported by the majority in Cataluña and in Europe. However, the point is that CC is not a forum for promoting political views. Just like such discussions were shut down during the US elections, the same should apply to political arguments in other countries. So, please, continue with practical information which is appreciated and resist the temptation of inserting political opinions in the posts.

1507013119_046056_1507810168_noticia_normal.jpg

As one who has a cruise starting on 10 Nov from Barcelona and looking forward to exploring the city for the 2 days before, I, for one, am finding the information on this thread very useful. Being originally from Northern Ireland I can understand only too well how strongly people feel about their homeland and I truly hope that the people of Spain and Catalunya sort out their futures (whether apart or together) in a peaceful, democratic manner.

Please keep the information coming - the only on the ground stuff we see on our TV news tends towards the sensationalist and is unlikely to be inaccurate (or maybe not?).

My cruise is even sooner, scheduled to depart Barcelona Oct. 25 which could be right at the start of a federal action if Article 155 is invoked on Oct. 20.

I have been looking at this web site everyday to see how and if cruise ship coming and going is being affected:

http://www.***********/cruise-port-tracker/europe/barcelona-spain.php

You can see exactly what ships are in port and where they are docked. if suddenly there are no cruise ships arriving we will know there is a problem.