Mayan ruins on Western Magic itinerary

Trinam2

Does anyone have any insight of the Mayan ruins tours? We are sailing in February on Magic. We booked in Belize through CCL Mayan ruins and river cruise. Was wondering if doing two ruins tour, another in Costa Maya would be worth it?

My 3 girls and my wife didn't enjoy it very much. Long bus ride and they kind of rushed us when we got their. Plus they don't let you climb the pyramids/temples any longer, not even the first step like they did in the past to take pictures. But again, we are an active family and like to do active excursions. If you like sight seeing excursions and learning about history you might enjoy this. Spoiler alert ahead, stop reading if you don't want a spoiler. The one thing we learned was they used beans to break the rocks that is used to build the pyramids. They would drill a hole , put the beans in and seal the hole. The gas created from the beans would expand and cause the rocks to break.

I would do Altun Ha and River Wallace out of Belize in a heartbeat. We had our boys with us who were then about 8 and 14. There was lots to explore at the ruins after about an hour bus ride, the lunch was tasty, and the trip down the river amazing. We saw iguanas (HUGE), monkeys, bats, birds, a manatee, a crocodile and dolphins. One of our best excursions to date.

I have also been to Chachobeen out of Costa Maya and can say Altun Ha was better. I would not do ruins both places and would use Costa Maya as a beach day.

Does anyone have any insight of the Mayan ruins tours? We are sailing in February on Magic. We booked in Belize through CCL Mayan ruins and river cruise. Was wondering if doing two ruins tour, another in Costa Maya would be worth it?

We recently visited Costa Maya on Royal Caribbean and I NEVER book non cruise excursions since I am scared I won't get back in time. But we booked with Native Choice for Chacchoben ruins and would do it again in a minute. They knew we were on a cruise and knew exactly what time we needed to be back. Very professional. Chacchoben ruins were awesome.

• Like 1

I would do Altun Ha and River Wallace out of Belize in a heartbeat. We had our boys with us who were then about 8 and 14. There was lots to explore at the ruins after about an hour bus ride, the lunch was tasty, and the trip down the river amazing. We saw iguanas (HUGE), monkeys, bats, birds, a manatee, a crocodile and dolphins. One of our best excursions to date..

We agree ,,,, we totally enjoyed this one for the boat ride getting there (only ride the bus one way) and being able to climb to the top of the tallest pyramid. I'm a history person and once I'd been to Altun Ha I didn't feel I needed more ruins :D

Thanks for all your feedback. I think we will stick with the ruins in Belize and take a beach day in Costa Maya. Any recommendations for places there that might be a short cab ride with a Beach and maybe snorkeling?

Agree with doing the Altun Ha ruins, it was good and plenty to interact with (our son was about 10 or 11 at time). One excursion for the ruins is enough truthfully (on one cruise) and it seemed like the travel time to and from was longer than the actual stop at the ruins. Something to see at least once and maybe save another one for another cruise.

Thanks for all your feedback. I think we will stick with the ruins in Belize and take a beach day in Costa Maya. Any recommendations for places there that might be a short cab ride with a Beach and maybe snorkeling?

We did the Beach Escape Beach Club in Costa Maya -- it was $40 pp through Carnival. Included padded loungers with shade (if you want), taxi to and from, and drinks. It was a 10 minute ride from port. The place looked kinda dumpy when we got there, but the beach was absolutely gorgeous. We took the 8am departure, which seems kind of early, but ended up being nice because no other cruise ship groups had arrived yet, so it wasn't very crowded. There were opportunities to purchase snorkeling/kayaking/etc. Drinks were on the weak side, but I didn't care because it was so early in the morning. My hubby went with beer to avoid that :D

I would definitely go back here.

If you are doing the Lamanai ruins with Carnival in Belize, make sure you try to price match with this company. https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/ You book through Carnival, and then fill out and submit the price match form with Carnival. If they approve, they will give you an onboard credit for 110% of the price difference. Saved us $50 each. Easy peasy.

In Costa Maya, we loved Tropicante. Very cheap and very relaxing. Look them up on trip advisor.

If you are doing the Lamanai ruins with Carnival in Belize, make sure you try to price match with this company. https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

We did Lamanai with Belize Cruise Excursions and it was an incredible tour! We were in a small group compared to the cruise line tour so I'm happy we did it with them instead. Included a great lunch ! We also so howler monkeys way up in the trees at the site. Very very cool!

If you are doing the Lamanai ruins with Carnival in Belize, make sure you try to price match with this company. https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/ You book through Carnival, and then fill out and submit the price match form with Carnival. If they approve, they will give you an onboard credit for 110% of the price difference. Saved us $50 each. Easy peasy.

In Costa Maya, we loved Tropicante. Very cheap and very relaxing. Look them up on trip advisor.

Wow, thanks for info. I just submitted form. I booked through Carnival last week and that one is cheaper for sure. I hope it works out.

We did Lamanai with Belize Cruise Excursions and it was an incredible tour! We were in a small group compared to the cruise line tour so I'm happy we did it with them instead. Included a great lunch ! We also so howler monkeys way up in the trees at the site. Very very cool!

Thanks again! Just got email back from Carnival . We got approved for the 110% guarantee and will have $50 obc each. That’s awesome and thanks for the heads up.

Been a few Mayan excavations throughout the Yucatan, some multiple times, so I can balance my impressions and rank them in order of size, historical importance, wow factor, etc.

Chichen Itza - the biggest and best restored/preserved city. Lots of walking, far from port, no shade - from Cozumel or Costa Maya

Lamanai - Several temples still climable, lots of walking, plus a river tour. - from Belize

Xanantunich - Nice area, good preservation, ballcourt, climable temple with fantastic views, unique entry, very easy to imagine the city in operation.- From Belize

Tulum - Fantastic seaport site, compact area, well imagined town and trading post. Great beach down the stairs under the observatory! from Cozumel

Coba - Very old city, climable, get around by bike carts peddled by local Mayan descendants Also from Cozumel

El Balam: Compact area, about 6 major structures, fantastic pyramid/temple to climb with some inner chambers accessible - from Costa Maya

Altun Ha - insignificant, minor small structures poorly restored, but can still impress anyone who has never seen a Mayan ruin before. River cruise was more fun than being at the site itself. -Belize

Some day I'll get to a few more like Tikal and Uxmal. JMO, YMMV.

Been a few Mayan excavations throughout the Yucatan, some multiple times, so I can balance my impressions and rank them in order of size, historical importance, wow factor, etc.

Chichen Itza - the biggest and best restored/preserved city. Lots of walking, far from port, no shade - from Cozumel or Costa Maya

Lamanai - Several temples still climable, lots of walking, plus a river tour. - from Belize

Xanantunich - Nice area, good preservation, ballcourt, climable temple with fantastic views, unique entry, very easy to imagine the city in operation.- From Belize

Tulum - Fantastic seaport site, compact area, well imagined town and trading post. Great beach down the stairs under the observatory! from Cozumel

Coba - Very old city, climable, get around by bike carts peddled by local Mayan descendants Also from Cozumel

El Balam: Compact area, about 6 major structures, fantastic pyramid/temple to climb with some inner chambers accessible - from Costa Maya

Altun Ha - insignificant, minor small structures poorly restored, but can still impress anyone who has never seen a Mayan ruin before. River cruise was more fun than being at the site itself. -Belize

Some day I'll get to a few more like Tikal and Uxmal. JMO, YMMV.

Great info. Glad I didn’t go with Altun Ha but Laminai

Thank you so much for the heads up, Carnival has also issued a credit for $50pp. We are also doing Tropicante for Costa Maya . Looking forward to it.

Thank you so much for the heads up, Carnival has also issued a credit for $50pp. We are also doing Tropicante for Costa Maya . Looking forward to it.

That is awesome. And you will love Tropicante. One of my favorite places in the Western Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Evaandbob, you gave some good information.:)

In regard to Xanantumich, I gather this is ruins or something like that we could check out in Belize? I know we will be tendering to Belize. Is there a cost (you mentioned unique entryway) to see this? If so, do you have any idea of the cost? Should we get a tour guide, or can a Taxi/Native take us there? Do you have any idea of the cost?

Another option is San Gervasio on Cozumel. Although not as impressive as Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun, we had a very good time touring the site. It’s $60 round trip for a cab and $9.50 per person. You can hire a guide, but we toured on our own. There is quite a bit of walking to see everything, I think we spent a couple hours there. We also enjoyed our taxi driver and learned a lot from him about the current state of the island. IMG_0491.jpg.ac885b25bb98cd553a5383f1a894ed95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_0466.jpg.b2ef29b34bbb7508552ebe2ef10ed483.jpg

Evaandbob, you gave some good information.:)

In regard to Xanantumich, I gather this is ruins or something like that we could check out in Belize? I know we will be tendering to Belize. Is there a cost (you mentioned unique entryway) to see this? If so, do you have any idea of the cost? Should we get a tour guide, or can a Taxi/Native take us there? Do you have any idea of the cost?

Thanks. Both Xanantunich and Lamanai are a good distance from the port area, each maybe an hour'and a half ride. I did Carnival excursions both times rather than independent tours. They are all day affairs, almost to the border with Guatamala, and have lunch included. I doubt you can get a taxi driver to take you that far and back. Some swear by independent tours to these two sites, but I prefer the ship's tours as insurance I'll get back on board before it sails.

Altun Ha is so much popular because it is closer, and it is also a site that 1st timers to the ruins enjoy since they have no prior basis for comparision. Hope this helps.