Heading out on Queen Mary 2

editor@cruisecritic

My husband and I are heading out on Queen Mary 2 on Monday (Southampton - New York) and this is just a massive thanks to all of you who've contributed advice. I've done QM2 in the Caribbean but never across the bounding sea -- and so I've loved reading all your comments and insights.

Cruise Critic will be covering the journey on our blog, and on our Facebook page, but if there's anything I can share with you here (any questions, any updates on things you're curious about), please don't hesitate to post and I'll do my danged best to find out.

Thanks again.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS I'm excited (for obvious reasons!) and a little bit nervous (never spent 8 straight days at sea before). Is this normal?

Wonderful

We will be boarding when you arrive in NYC for the Quebec run.

Have previously completed the transatlantic (TA) three times and has always been safe and enjoyable.

The QM2 was the most pleasant TA of all the crossings. Remember, she is an

ocean liner and she was designed for crossing the Atlantic, fast and smooth.

The unfortunate item is that the time goes much to quickly and before you now it, you have arrived and time to book again.

Looking forward to following your crossing.

Bon voyage.

My husband and I are heading out on Queen Mary 2 on Monday (Southampton - New York) and this is just a massive thanks to all of you who've contributed advice. I've done QM2 in the Caribbean but never across the bounding sea -- and so I've loved reading all your comments and insights.

Cruise Critic will be covering the journey on our blog, and on our Facebook page, but if there's anything I can share with you here (any questions, any updates on things you're curious about), please don't hesitate to post and I'll do my danged best to find out.

Thanks again.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS I'm excited (for obvious reasons!) and a little bit nervous (never spent 8 straight days at sea before). Is this normal?

Thanks again.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Eight days at sea can be so relaxing. And Southampton to New York on Queen Mary 2 is a wonderful voyage and tradition.

Enjoy the formal evenings, the excellent food & service and most of all - QM2!!

P.S there is generally a book of vouchers for the spa in your room. These are good value if you intend on having more than one treatment.

Having completed a 19 day transatlantic voyage this summer on the QM2, i can only say that you will be so occupied every minute of the day and night that you will wonder where the days have gone. Yes, I have done the Caribbean sailings but there is something very special about transatlantic voyages. There are wonderful lectures aboard, book discussions, evening entertainment, balls and parties. The list goes on and on. Enjoy every minute and keep us informed of what appeals and what does not. Bon Voyage.

Looking forward to reading about your TA. One of my first cruises was an 11 night TA and I loved it. So much to do if you want to! The days passed so quickly and I bet yours will too. You will want to book another relaxing TA.

Smooth sailing!

Bon Voyage. You will be amazed to realize that with no ports, no rock climbing, etc. you will still not get everything in that you want to do. Transatlantic on QM2 is a unique experience unlike all other voyages.:D

Thanks again.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi Carolyn. Wishing you and your husband a wonderful voyage; looking foward to your reports from on board.

You asked if there were any questions: please let us know if you hear any reports of problems with the plumbing on board. I've read comments on this board of sporatic problems with toilets, showers, and tap water shut off. On my July cruise, tablemates and other passengers told me of problems in both the public toilets and their staterooms.

I hope you don't find this a rude question, but are you a "guest" of Cunard, or a fare paying passenger?

Looking forward to reading your blog.

Bon Voyage!

Salacia

Thanks again.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

You are in for a treat. TA on QM2 is the only way you go.;) You will have a fabulous experience! Enjoy the crossing and get outside and look out into the vast Atlantic. Blow the cob webs away and feel refreshed. You may be able to spot some wild life. Spend a few days in the spa and chill out. Enjoy the formal nights and dress up to the nines;) Have fun and tell us all about later.

We are on the same cruise! Tried to start a roll call, but had no one else post. Since we leave in the morning, I don't know if you will respond in time to arrange a meet up. See you tomorrow! You will also see us on the dance floor...every time it is open! LOL!:p

Would love to do the Quebec run some day!

Have a funny feeling that 8 days at sea looks, at this point, like a long, long time (three days in a row is the most I've ever done) but in the end bet the whole trip will be a blur. I am determined to try to live every moment :) -- and to use this as an opportunity to r-e-l-a-x. Come to think of it, the R word, is maybe the scariest thing :)

Thanks.

Carolyn

Wonderful

We will be boarding when you arrive in NYC for the Quebec run.

Have previously completed the transatlantic (TA) three times and has always been safe and enjoyable.

The QM2 was the most pleasant TA of all the crossings. Remember, she is an

ocean liner and she was designed for crossing the Atlantic, fast and smooth.

The unfortunate item is that the time goes much to quickly and before you now it, you have arrived and time to book again.

Looking forward to following your crossing.

Bon voyage.

Hi, Salacia. Thanks for the heads up re plumbing, will keep an eye out.

I do find it interesting -- odd, strange, whatever -- how hard it is to find out more details about daily life onboard a cruise where you've got 6 or more straight days at sea. Little things are curious: Is there a DVD player, can you borrow movies, what's the line-up of entertainment, etc. We've covered QM2 a fair amount in the 10 years since it launched, but not recently and of course stuff changes.

I've seen more details about cruises (all lines) that are almost every day in port than this one. Might write something about that, don't know.

Not a rude question at all: We are hosted by Cunard. That won't impact...anything we come across :)

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn. Wishing you and your husband a wonderful voyage; looking foward to your reports from on board.

You asked if there were any questions: please let us know if you hear any reports of problems with the plumbing on board. I've read comments on this board of sporatic problems with toilets, showers, and tap water shut off. On my July cruise, tablemates and other passengers told me of problems in both the public toilets and their staterooms.

I hope you don't find this a rude question, but are you a "guest" of Cunard, or a fare paying passenger?

Looking forward to reading your blog.

Bon Voyage!

Salacia

:)

My husband and I have one deal for every cruise. He loves the disco. Me, not so much. But one night a cruise I am a night owl! I think the Queens Lounge is much more my speed.

Carolyn

We are on the same cruise! Tried to start a roll call, but had no one else post. Since we leave in the morning, I don't know if you will respond in time to arrange a meet up. See you tomorrow! You will also see us on the dance floor...every time it is open! LOL!:p

:)

My husband and I have one deal for every cruise. He loves the disco. Me, not so much. But one night a cruise I am a night owl! I think the Queens Lounge is much more my speed.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn. Yes, I've heard the Queens Lounge is very nice. But just to clarify: the Queens [Grill] Lounge on Deck 7 is only available to Queen's Grill passengers, whereas the Queens Room on Deck 3 is available to all passengers - heck, they even let me in :D -S.

Laughing, Salacia. This is how dumb I am, pre-cruise. Meant Queen's Room!

Gosh, some 8 years ago or so (the only time I've done a cruise on QM2) we were fortunate to have a Queens Grill cabin (Queen Anne, lovely, spacious, but odd, in the front, no balcony) on a Caribbean sailing. We went to the lounge for Grill pax exactly one time. It was so boring. Mind you, on MSC's Yacht Club, where drinks are free, pax tend to be a bit more sociable. But this lounge served no real purpose because the bars onboard were so much more fun. Faint memory, anyway.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn. Yes, I've heard the Queens Lounge is very nice. But just to clarify: the Queens [Grill] Lounge on Deck 7 is only available to Queen's Grill passengers, whereas the Queens Room on Deck 3 is available to all passengers - heck, they even let me in :D -S.

Bon Voyage Carolyn ! You will have a wonderful time on your transatlantic, you are now going to exprience what this ship was really built for. DVD players for hire !!! shock horror (no only available in QG) I've just completed my 19th QM2 voyage, 13 of those transatlantic and I can assure you I've never had the need to look at DVDs.

Start your day at 6am waking up to morning QM2 TV ... have a highlighter handy and plan your daily programme ! fall into bed well after midnight after a few night caps in the G32 ;)

Just one thing if I may .... Pleeeese don't come back and report on classism onboard Cunard ! We all know that Cunard line are the only company where your stateroom category is paired to a particular restaurant ... and quite rightly so. If I'm paying megga bucks for a suite I'd want the fine food to go with it ;) No different than stepping onboard an aircraft, it's like a brand or product... we get what we pay for.

Enjoy and remember, when packing your outfits ... On Cunard too much is not enough !;)

Bell Boy.:)

Bon Voyage Carolyn ! You will have a wonderful time on your transatlantic, you are now going to exprience what this ship was really built for. DVD players for hire !!! shock horror (no only available in QG) I've just completed my 19th QM2 voyage, 13 of those transatlantic and I can assure you I've never had the need to look at DVDs.

Start your day at 6am waking up to morning QM2 TV ... have a highlighter handy and plan your daily programme ! fall into bed well after midnight after a few night caps in the G32 ;)

Just one thing if I may .... Pleeeese don't come back and report on classism onboard Cunard ! We all know that Cunard line are the only company where your stateroom category is paired to a particular restaurant ... and quite rightly so. If I'm paying megga bucks for a suite I'd want the fine food to go with it ;) No different than stepping onboard an aircraft, it's like a brand or product... we get what we pay for.

Enjoy and remember, when packing your outfits ... On Cunard too much is not enough !;)

Bell Boy.:)

Hi Bell Boy. I agree with you (in theory) that we get what we pay for - but the OP is sailing gratis - certainly you aren't suggesting that passengers who pay nothing get nothing?

Truth is, we do not always get what we pay for. Passengers who book in advance and then find fares reduced after final payment in the US, or those who book Vantage fares rather than Getaway fares in the UK, are all on the same boat. When fares are greatly reduced to fill the boat, Cunard ( and other cruise lines) will reduce on board services in an effort to make up the difference. Speaking as a Britannia passenger, I know from experience what that entails.

As to your comment "when packing your outfits ... On Cunard too much is not enough", I respect your opinion, but too much is just that: too much. I remember one formal dinner when a tablemate, dressed in a lovely black cocktail dress, wore a tiara. Now, if that made her happy, I would be fine with it, but she couldn't move her head which made it very difficult for her to eat her dinner.

Sometimes we don't get what we pay for, and too much is too much. But we agree that QM2 is a beautiful ship, and that perhaps is what matters most.

Cheers,

Salacia

As to your comment "when packing your outfits ... On Cunard too much is not enough", I respect your opinion, but too much is just that: too much. I remember one formal dinner when a tablemate, dressed in a lovely black cocktail dress, wore a tiara. Now, if that made her happy, I would be fine with it, but she couldn't move her head which made it very difficult for her to eat her dinner.

Sometimes we don't get what we pay for, and too much is too much. But we agree that QM2 is a beautiful ship, and that perhaps is what matters most.

Cheers,

Salacia

A tiara should not be worn with a black cocktail dress. This is a basic fashion faux pas and would have been recognised as such in the era when tiaras were more common.

Today, tiaras are required at the State Opening of Parliament, the state banquets The Queen hosts for foreign dignitaries and the annual Lord Mayor's Banquet at Mansion House. Tiaras can also be worn at white tie events, provided that the lady is wearing an appropriate ball gown.

More commonly, family tiaras of the Edwardian and Victorian period are reversible, which means they can be dismounted from their frame and worn as a necklace. It would have been far more appropriate for the passenger in question to have dismounted the tiara and worn it as a necklace with her black cocktail dress.

I don't disagree with Bell Boy's general sentiments, but the unfortunate passenger observed by Salacia had clearly lost her way in matters of fashion appropriateness and style.

Archived