Is Spirit nice and what is midship? (My search function is not working)

luckyprincess

Hi Carnival lovers!

I haven't done a Carnival cruise yet but have been on RCCL three times. I LOVED Radiance of the Seas, but didn't really love Freedom - it was too big, service wasn't great, food not as good - I think it was just too big for us. And we are young, active people, so nothing to do with that.

Well, this time, I would really love for my sis and I to take my parents on an Alaskan cruise. They would love this - my Dad had gotten laid off from work last year from the factory he worked at and at his age, isn't getting picked up at a new job. My Mom is a cancer survivor and works at Target a few days a week. They are both taking social security to make ends meet and were able to make a deal with the mortgage company to keep their house. So its been a tough year. They went with my sis and her husband five years ago on a cruise (RCCL) to the Western Caribbean and loved it! My Dad climbed the Mayan ruins, which was nothing but a far away fantasy dream for him before he went on this trip. He never thought he would see that in his life. :D They have never even had a honeymoon and don't have passports. So an Alaskan cruise would seriously blow their minds!

I need some help from you good folks, though. I get motion sick on a porch swing and take dramamine and ginger on my cruises. The last one on Freedom, we rocked so much that our drinks actually slid on the table in our room and the hot tub up on deck was having water slosh out of the sides back and forth as we rocked. Awful! Even with all my meds, I felt a little bit sick :( Can anyone give me an idea of ship movement in Alaska around June? In general, of course. For me, mid ship, higher up (8 or 9) and balcony work perfect! I usually get a hump cabin but I have NO idea where to be looking on Carnival Spirit for that type of category. I also don't want to really break the bank, as I can't afford to, so if anyone can give me a tip as to find the best price, that would be great. Also, the category on their website really confuses me - I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Okay - sorry for all the neediness!:D

Thanks for any help that may come my way!:)

midship [ˈmɪdˌʃɪp] Nautical

adj

(Transport / Nautical Terms) in, of, or relating to the middle of a vessel

n

(Transport / Nautical Terms) the middle of a vessel

By the way....This means from fore to aft not port to starboard.....;)

You and your family will love the Spirit. I went the week of June 29 this year and it is an amazing trip! Just be prepared to layer your clothes, it is still cool at that time of year. I usually had on a fleece shirt and a rain jacket. I think the warmest from June 29 to July 6 was @52, but it was chilly to us since we left 100 degree weather in Nashville. The scenery is unbelievable. There is a wide range in ages on this cruise, also. My group had 17 to 79 in it and we all had a great time. If you have any questions, just ask away. :D

We just returned from the Spirit in an Aft cabin and only on the first at sea day did I feel sick. From reading Cruise Critic, I knew the first day would be rocky so I was prepared and took Bonine for relief. I did feel also better when I went mid-ship.

Oh thank you so much, everyone! I have been reading the review of a very good photographer here on the Carnival board - it looks amazing! I would love if my parents could experience this! :D

It's so hard to figure out the deck plans since the whole thing doesn't fit on one viewing page on my computer. Scrolling up and down to see the whole thing really makes me lose my perspective - I'm sure its just me! So knowing that the atrium is at about the middle helps a lot! Thanks!

Oh thank you so much, everyone! I have been reading the review of a very good photographer here on the Carnival board - it looks amazing! I would love if my parents could experience this! :D

It's so hard to figure out the deck plans since the whole thing doesn't fit on one viewing page on my computer. Scrolling up and down to see the whole thing really makes me lose my perspective - I'm sure its just me! So knowing that the atrium is at about the middle helps a lot! Thanks!

what works for me is the mid ship elevators. i have done every test known to man (including counting cabins) and find the mid ship elevators pretty well nails it.

Lucky, go to the Carnival website and request one of their cruise vacation guides. It will come in the mail in a few weeks and you'll have a hard copy of all of the deck plans for each ship class, itineraries, stateroom pictures, maps, and information for cruising. It makes finding rooms alot easier! I'm the same as you with the scrolling up and down perspective stuff. We were on the Spirit a couple of weeks ago and found it to be such a user friendly ship. It was very easy to navigate. We were in an aft-wrap and you feel vibration and movement back there. I took Bonine the first couple of days and was fine the whole way.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I just ordered a brochure and will look for those elevators!:)

I have a question for mkindidtn, or anyone else that knows the ship. This will sound strange probably but I'm wondering if this ship or the Alaskan itenerary caters to all types of folks? What I mean is, my parents are good, honest, simple and loving people. They are blue collar working class through and through - they believe an honest days work, having a loving, happy family and keeping your family name honorable is the hallmarks of a good life. They don't really have 'stuff' or a lot of means. I don't want them to feel 'lowbrow' or anything or made to feel like they don't fit in.

They liked RCCL very much but they didn't eat in the MDR except for once because they felt it was too 'fancy' :p They LOVED the variety and quality of the buffet and acutally really liked both pay restaurants. I just have heard that Alaska caters to maybe an older, maybe more wealthy crowd and I just want them to have fun and see some amazing stuff. I hope this doesn't sound silly or judgemental at all. And I hope this is the right place for a question like this.

We're going on the Spirit in May and I booked 6200 which is an 8D because sometimes DH has a little motion issue.

Did you know that green apples are very good for nausea? They are always on the buffet and the staff told my DD that is what they use.

Hi Carnival lovers!

Can anyone give me an idea of ship movement in Alaska around June?

One thing to be aware of with Alaska cruises out of Seattle, is that they sail up the west coast of Vancouver Island out in the Pacific Ocean. It can get pretty rocky through there. Once you're in the Inside Passage, things will be very smooth. But, the first and last day might be rough.

My dad worked in Alaska in 1958. My nephew soon to return from his first trip this summer..a working fishing boat trip; can not wait for his tales even though I'll have to cajole them out of him..a Spirit trip there WOULD BE TERRIFIC. I hear it is "all that and more" simply unbeleivabe and so vast. Thanks for good reviews and excitement factor.

Scrolling up and down to see the whole thing really makes me lose my perspective - I'm sure its just me! So knowing that the atrium is at about the middle helps a lot! Thanks!

Just an FYI, when you're in your browser, click on "view" on your browsers menu bar, there you can click on "zoom" and zoom in or out. That's how you can see the whole ship with perspective to see where "middle" really is.

Sorry to threadjack! :D

Hi Carnival lovers!

I haven't done a Carnival cruise yet but have been on RCCL three times. I LOVED Radiance of the Seas, but didn't really love Freedom - it was too big, service wasn't great, food not as good - I think it was just too big for us. And we are young, active people, so nothing to do with that.

Well, this time, I would really love for my sis and I to take my parents on an Alaskan cruise. They would love this - my Dad had gotten laid off from work last year from the factory he worked at and at his age, isn't getting picked up at a new job. My Mom is a cancer survivor and works at Target a few days a week. They are both taking social security to make ends meet and were able to make a deal with the mortgage company to keep their house. So its been a tough year. They went with my sis and her husband five years ago on a cruise (RCCL) to the Western Caribbean and loved it! My Dad climbed the Mayan ruins, which was nothing but a far away fantasy dream for him before he went on this trip. He never thought he would see that in his life. :D They have never even had a honeymoon and don't have passports. So an Alaskan cruise would seriously blow their minds!

I need some help from you good folks, though. I get motion sick on a porch swing and take dramamine and ginger on my cruises. The last one on Freedom, we rocked so much that our drinks actually slid on the table in our room and the hot tub up on deck was having water slosh out of the sides back and forth as we rocked. Awful! Even with all my meds, I felt a little bit sick :( Can anyone give me an idea of ship movement in Alaska around June? In general, of course. For me, mid ship, higher up (8 or 9) and balcony work perfect! I usually get a hump cabin but I have NO idea where to be looking on Carnival Spirit for that type of category. I also don't want to really break the bank, as I can't afford to, so if anyone can give me a tip as to find the best price, that would be great. Also, the category on their website really confuses me - I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Okay - sorry for all the neediness!:D

I haven't looked at the Spirit itinerary but most Alaska cruises go up and down the "Inside Passage" Meaning the mainland is close by to the east and solid islands are close by to the west. Its like cruising up a river, very smoooooth.

Ships, the pointy part up front is the bow or forward, the blunt part in back is the stern or aft. The fat part in the middle is midships. The head is the bathroom OR the toilet so be careful with that one.:D

I haven't looked at the Spirit itinerary but most Alaska cruises go up and down the "Inside Passage" Meaning the mainland is close by to the east and solid islands are close by to the west. Its like cruising up a river, very smoooooth.

This is true for the Inside Passage portion of the cruise. But the ship first has to get there. Cruises that leave from Seattle head out the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and out into the Pacific Ocean. They are in open waters until they reach the Inside Passage, just south of Ketchikan. The seas can get quite rough during this part of the cruise.

This is true for the Inside Passage portion of the cruise. But the ship first has to get there. Cruises that leave from Seattle head out the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and out into the Pacific Ocean. They are in open waters until they reach the Inside Passage, just south of Ketchikan. The seas can get quite rough during this part of the cruise.

Very true and OP this is further south but...

I had a not too tough but feeling it 24 hr HAL ride from Vancouver BC to Portland, OR crossing the Columbia Bar there...I wonder how many people made it to the Astoria Maritme Museum on the Splendor changed course cruises etc...yes have taken the ferry at Juan de Fuca too..pretty rough but ok..

Thinking of all the ships of yore at the Columbia Bar..just awesome:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1W1ACGW_enUS339US339&q=Columbia+Bar&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=SUKQTLupIYW-sAOk2omyDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDAQsAQwAw&biw=1251&bih=627

I can't answer any of your questions since I have my first CCL cruise coming up in Nov (Spirit class - Legend). But I just wanted to say that it's really quite wonderful of you and your sister to want to do something so special for your parents. Kudos! I sincerely hope it works our for you all!

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I just ordered a brochure and will look for those elevators!:)

I have a question for mkindidtn, or anyone else that knows the ship. This will sound strange probably but I'm wondering if this ship or the Alaskan itenerary caters to all types of folks? What I mean is, my parents are good, honest, simple and loving people. They are blue collar working class through and through - they believe an honest days work, having a loving, happy family and keeping your family name honorable is the hallmarks of a good life. They don't really have 'stuff' or a lot of means. I don't want them to feel 'lowbrow' or anything or made to feel like they don't fit in.

They liked RCCL very much but they didn't eat in the MDR except for once because they felt it was too 'fancy' :p They LOVED the variety and quality of the buffet and acutally really liked both pay restaurants. I just have heard that Alaska caters to maybe an older, maybe more wealthy crowd and I just want them to have fun and see some amazing stuff. I hope this doesn't sound silly or judgemental at all. And I hope this is the right place for a question like this.

Luckyprincess- I don't think your parents will need to worry about feeling out of place... We always travel with my parents, and, they too are very blue collar working class and are proud of it... they worked for several years to be able to afford their first Alaska cruise. We all had the times of our lives and enjoyed all of our experiences on the Spirit in Alaska. I really thought that they would not want to eat in the dining room either, but, found that we spent about 5 nights eating in the MDR. Surprised me.

Now, several cruises later including another Alaska sailing, they still enjoy both the MDR and the Buffet. We usually let them decide where we are headed to eat for the night.

You are not being judgemental, just concerned. Don't worry. You will meet all types of great people on Carnival and on the Spirit.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

I've sailed on the Spirit twice now...once out of Florida and once on the Mexican route. You'll love the ship, the layout of the spirit class ships is very easy to navigate. I agree that the atrium and midship elevators should give you a good idea of where the middle is. As another posted said, the higher up you go the more you'll feel movement.

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise but personally, I would want a balcony to see all the sights. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper in that class, I might choose one the obstructed view balcony cabins. The only obstruction for the vast majority of those is you can't see down from you balcony. The lifeboats are just under your balcony so you can see out just fine.

I also think its pretty cool that you and your sis want to take your parents on a cruise. You will all have a great time on Carnival, don't have any reservations about going to the MDR...you will all feel very comfortable.

I've sailed on the Spirit twice now...once out of Florida and once on the Mexican route. You'll love the ship, the layout of the spirit class ships is very easy to navigate. I agree that the atrium and midship elevators should give you a good idea of where the middle is. As another posted said, the higher up you go the more you'll feel movement.

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise but personally, I would want a balcony to see all the sights. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper in that class, I might choose one the obstructed view balcony cabins. The only obstruction for the vast majority of those is you can't see down from you balcony. The lifeboats are just under your balcony so you can see out just fine.

I also think its pretty cool that you and your sis want to take your parents on a cruise. You will all have a great time on Carnival, don't have any reservations about going to the MDR...you will all feel very comfortable.

Archived