Non US Citizen - F1 Visa (I-20) Holder...any info?

Cruisegoer

While I feel confident after having done a RCL cruise to Mexico last January, Carnival really seems to be in the dark as far as requirements/procedure for an International Student (studying full time in the US) documentation requirements might be. My biggest concern is that port staff may not know how to process especially since the Carnival Online Check-in info selections seem very weak in setup for Non-US Citizens.

Has anyone with an F1 traveled with Carnival before? Any problems? Did they have a clue?

Just curious about how RCL check in docs were different than Carnival's? I would imagine all you need is your passport and the F1 which shows you can legally enter the USA. IF you have that you don't need anything special .

Off the top of my head as I recall if you are an international student please be sure to bring your I-20 form with you along with your passport and J1 visa stamp too. Your passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future on the date you return to the United States.

Just curious about how RCL check in docs were different than Carnival's? I would imagine all you need is your passport and the F1 which shows you can legally enter the USA. IF you have that you don't need anything special .

As I stated my caution is that Carnival prides little guidance whereas RCL provided alot....so I'm concerned Carnival staff at the pier may be clueless how to process the boarding documentation for an international student as well.

It is ok if you don't want to answer my question.

I don't know what sort of "guidance" you want from Carnival. When you go on a plane the airline doesn't provide info on visas either . You just find out from the appropriate government office.

You still haven't explained what sort of info RCL gave you that makes you think Carnival will be a problem??

If you are worried just print out the info from the USA govt. web site which tells what you need to visit Mexico(nothing but your J1 etc.)

As I stated my caution is that Carnival prides little guidance whereas RCL provided alot....so I'm concerned Carnival staff at the pier may be clueless how to process the boarding documentation for an international student as well.

I'm sorry you feel that way as I had hoped that what provided you was helpful.

Captain Carnival calls the boarding zones in Tampa. However, he can't seem to peg Carnival's Tampa announcement so he may not be as informed as he tries to make us here on CC and those in his "club" believe.

I know what doc's are necessary. Royal Caribbean land staff as well as people at check-in in Miami pier during embarkation knew. Their website's online web check in provided for area's to complete info pertaining to the VISA.

Carnival's online website asks country of citizenship, state of residency and if you put that the person is NOT a US Citizen the only other question is "Permanant Resident ID#"....well this question cannot be answered by a student with an F1 Visa so I see that as a potential problem. Since Carnival provides no assistance (on the phone) with documentation requirements I'm left to think, based on their webs online check-in as well as lack of internal info. that the person working the embarkation desk at the pier might have some difficulty processing the paperwork, especially in San Juan. It's just my thoughts and gives me caution.

I'm not sure why there are so many angry dog's on this board who blast you for having a question or concern. Captain Carnival provided some reassurance but if he's in Tampa I'm not sure he knows the staff in San Juan so I take it with a grain of salt. I'm not knocking Carnival staff at all, info flows from the top down so if they don't know what to do with certain types of documentation because they aren't taught how I get worried because it could delay my boarding and vacation....that is all!

ManyMore is correct. The check-in staff are not carnival employees but an outside, third party company and they do work most of the cruise lines at a specific port.

Carnival's job is to provide cruises not immigration information. There is no way for them to know the requirements of every country in the world so anyone that is not a US citizen should make sure for themselves which paperwork they need to leave and re-enter the country. They should also make sure they don't need any addtionial visas for the countries they are going to visit.

Aliens (non U.S citizens) and Resident Aliens of the United States must contact the appropriate Consulates to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Immigration and Naturalization Service determines the proper documents which guests must have available in order to sail.

Carnival staff that you speak to when you call , are sales people. They have nothing to do with immigration requirements just the same as airline staff have nothing to do with it when you buy a plane ticket.

If you are cruising to Mexico you can leave the USA and return with no problems. If you are going to the Caribbean you'll have to check if that is allowed on your own as the cruise line is not in charge of immigration issues.

I'm so old school that I take the responsibility of travel and travel documentation upon my own shoulders every time I go on vacation. And it is so much easier now with online government sites that list all of the requirements for traveling abroad for anyone leaving from the US no matter if they are registered aliens, students with a Visa, those traveling with or without passports.

I would never take the advise of anyone other than an official of the designated government office to tell me what I need to transport myself to any other country....and I would make sure I did it months in advance of my travel.

Just my 2cents.

We travel each year with our exchange student on Carnival. We have their passport, student visa and a letter from our exchange program stating they are our student for the year(since our students are minors). We have never had any issues.

It is ok if you don't want to answer my question.

I don't know what sort of "guidance" you want from Carnival. When you go on a plane the airline doesn't provide info on visas either . You just find out from the appropriate government office.

You still haven't explained what sort of info RCL gave you that makes you think Carnival will be a problem??

If you are worried just print out the info from the USA govt. web site which tells what you need to visit Mexico(nothing but your J1 etc.)

RCL assured us that the F1 & I-20 would be fine for a cruise to Mexico. Carnival says everything is your responsibility. When asked about islands they said contact each islands consulate. Again I consider one guidance and one "no response". Sadly they wont even tell me if pier staff are aware of how to process a F1 Visa for embarkation, no assurance.

I'm so old school that I take the responsibility of travel and travel documentation upon my own shoulders every time I go on vacation. And it is so much easier now with online government sites that list all of the requirements for traveling abroad for anyone leaving from the US no matter if they are registered aliens, students with a Visa, those traveling with or without passports.

I would never take the advise of anyone other than an official of the designated government office to tell me what I need to transport myself to any other country....and I would make sure I did it months in advance of my travel.

Just my 2cents.

Sorry I'm not sure what you are talking about. Other than a Tourism site for the island I find it almost impossible to find out if the countries are British, French or Dutch and what consulate represents them and where. Perhaps your home country is well established to provide answers, in this persons case there are very few answers available on their govt website. The fact that its an American cruise visiting an island for 8 hours (not weeks or months) should have some bearing as to documentation needed.

RCL assured us that the F1 & I-20 would be fine for a cruise to Mexico. Carnival says everything is your responsibility. When asked about islands they said contact each islands consulate. Again I consider one guidance and one "no response". Sadly they wont even tell me if pier staff are aware of how to process a F1 Visa for embarkation, no assurance.

I do not think pier staff care your immigration status. Is it custom who checks your visa? Custom has nothing to do with Carnival. And as many people pointed out above, pier staff are not Carnival employees. They provide service to all cruise lines. So if RCL told you it was OK, Carnival should be OK too.

As for "Other than a Tourism site for the island I find it almost impossible to find out if the countries are British, French or Dutch and what consulate represents them and where. Perhaps your home country is well established to provide answers, in this persons case there are very few answers available on their govt website." I do not believe it. I did all my research on visa requirements for my in-laws. I never had problem to find the right information. No matter what cruise line said, I always wanted to see the official guidelines.

Not expecting any problems, I did some research on each of the websites and found that no VISAs are needed (generally for stays less than 48 hours) on each island.

I printed off the verbiage and put it in a file so I'm feeling pretty good that additional VISAs wont' be necessary.

• 1 year later...
I know what doc's are necessary. Royal Caribbean land staff as well as people at check-in in Miami pier during embarkation knew. Their website's online web check in provided for area's to complete info pertaining to the VISA.

Carnival's online website asks country of citizenship, state of residency and if you put that the person is NOT a US Citizen the only other question is "Permanant Resident ID#"....well this question cannot be answered by a student with an F1 Visa so I see that as a potential problem. Since Carnival provides no assistance (on the phone) with documentation requirements I'm left to think, based on their webs online check-in as well as lack of internal info. that the person working the embarkation desk at the pier might have some difficulty processing the paperwork, especially in San Juan. It's just my thoughts and gives me caution.

I'm not sure why there are so many angry dog's on this board who blast you for having a question or concern. Captain Carnival provided some reassurance but if he's in Tampa I'm not sure he knows the staff in San Juan so I take it with a grain of salt. I'm not knocking Carnival staff at all, info flows from the top down so if they don't know what to do with certain types of documentation because they aren't taught how I get worried because it could delay my boarding and vacation....that is all!

If you have so much confidence with RCCL but not CCL, the simple solution is to stick with RCCL. Why take a chance and get yourself all frustrated over this?