Eastbound TA's

C Cruise Dude

I just put a hold on an eastbound transatlantic. I have taken two westbound and had great weather on both except for a day or so of coolness as we left Rome (November '17). My question to those who have taken the eastbound in the Spring, what was the seas and the weather like? Thanks

We had lovely weather on Reflection last April. It was a little cooler after leaving Miami, but still warm and sunny enough for pool and lounger use almost to Tenerife. The seas were like glass until that point also. We had a bit of turbulence (20ft waves) that last sea day, but my Bonine worked like a charm. DH isn’t prone to motion sickness so he was fine. For the most part, we had lovely weather in the European ports except for rain in Villefranche sur Mer. A friend did the same itinerary in 2016 and had calm seas the entire way. Every cruise is different, but I wouldn’t hesitate to book a spring crossing again (in fact I already have). Hope this helps :)

Just curious, do the children on board end up in the adult solarium as the weather gets colder? Thanks for the response Silkroad.

We are on that cruise too. Come join the roll call. Under 18 is not allowed in the solarium pool.

Just curious, do the children on board end up in the adult solarium as the weather gets colder? Thanks for the response Silkroad.

On our Baltic cruise on Eclipse 2015, family time in the Solarium was late afternoon, I think 4-5 pm.

I doubt there will be many children on an Eastbound TA, they should all be in school during April.

Very few, if ANY children so that’s not an issue.

Weather is unpredictable BUT you tend to follow the weather system so if you embark to good weather it’s more likely to hold up, bad weather stays longer too.

Pool towels at the start become pool blankets by the end. Ugh, the 23 hour days are a downer, but necessary I suppose.

22 TAs, 23rd next month.

Weather never the same on virtually any of them, EB or WB. Too many variables. The only ones that we will not do again are northern crossings. Not so much because of weather per se but because we've had a number of reroutings and missed ports on them. Which, of course was due to weather.

Never understood the 23 hour vs. 25 hour discussion. Never much mattered to us.

We sailed on Reflection Eastbound April 2016 there was hardly a ripple on the water the whole way across the Atlantic, it was amazing, even the Captain was having difficulty having anything say on his midday weather report.

March / April, 2017 on Oceania Eastbound was a completely different story. We has to miss the Azores because of a storm and we sailed at the edge of the storm for a good few days. The seas were heavy, waves were pretty high and it was an interesting journey however I take ginger capsules and was fine.

Our first TA in April 2014 was one of our favourite cruises. It was with RCL and the time changed at 12noon every time it was needed. Got confusing for some things but not a problem.

The weather was excellent until after the Azores, and we got tipped out of bed one night by a roque wave. The biggest loss that evening was most of the liquor in the Crown bar and store room. Oh, and a few broken widows and doors.

We are on that cruise too. Come join the roll call. Under 18 is not allowed in the solarium pool.

Penney, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to join you, I have Reflection booked for a TA in the Fall.

Our first TA in April 2014 was one of our favourite cruises. It was with RCL and the time changed at 12noon every time it was needed. Got confusing for some things but not a problem.

Odd to change the time at noon. My first TA was Harmony of the Seas in 2016 and the Captain said that it was the smoothest crossing of his career. On both of my TA's I notice a significant number of children on the ship, that's why I asked about the solarium. Thanks everyone.