PEARL Seattle Negative Experience / Port Valet

I just got off the Pearl from Alaska yesterday. This was my 2nd Alaskan cruise on the Pearl. I won't use NCL again.

My first Pearl cruise was two years ago and completely positive - it was 10 days long and I could have stayed on 10 more. This recent cruise was 7 days long and by about day 3 I was ready to be off the ship. The actual being in Alaska was perfect. The customer service on board the ship was very negative to me. The service crew (waiters, cabin attendants, etc) were very nice and did their jobs as they should. The ones I encountered of higher rank (guest services - people "in charge") always made me feel that I was being a bother for asking anything.

The day we got on the ship (May 6th) 3 of our bags arrived to the room fairly quickly. My bag in particular didn't get there until about 8 PM. I asked a couple times about my missing bag (that had everything I had brought) but only got dismissive answers that left me unsure if my bag had actually made it onto the ship.

We were planning to use the Port Valet service on departure to ease our getting from the ship to the airport. They offered no information about the service at all. On Monday I stopped by the guest service desk to ask for the form to fill out - I wanted to get things lined up before we got distracted with the port stops beginning on Tuesday. I asked the lady for the Port Valet form - she looked at me blankly and said nothing. I asked again. She finally said "It will be delivered to your room". I asked when I could expect it. She would only repeat "It will be delivered to your room." No friendliness, no smile, no anything.

So each day thereafter I carefully looked through the daily delivery of our newsletter and accompanying flyers. No form. I only saw our cabin attendant for a few seconds about 4-5 times the entire week but I never thought about asking him about the form - I'm assuming he's the one who put our daily newsletter on our door each day.

I had read on here that if you don't get your form by about Thursday to go to the guest services desk so that's where I went on Thursday morning. When I asked about the from the lady (a different one than Monday) said "You should have turned it in by 6 PM Wednesday. There's nothing I can do for you now." That was it. This was also in a very negative tone. I went on to have breakfast.

After thinking about the whole situation I decided I was going back and ask to speak to the hotel manager. Not so much about my not being able to use Port Valet but about the attitude of everyone in guest services that week. At the times I had spoken to anyone I had been the only guest there - not one of many waiting for help. This 3rd time I was speaking to a different person. He was as unconcerned as the previous two. He kept focusing on how they were unable to do anything about the Port Valet. I had a hard time making him understand that wasn't what I was irritated about - it was their attitudes (including his) I was wanting to speak to their manager about. He finally went through a door and stayed gone for about 5 minutes. When he returned he said the manager was busy with another guest but I could make an appointment. By then I decided I was going to just forget about it because I would obviously get nowhere.

I understand these people deal with many thousands of guests each month. My two cruise mates were with me at the last two encounters - I asked them if they felt I had been out of line. I was assured I was not out of line and that the guest services staff were very rude.

My first NCL experience two years ago couldn't have been better; maybe I was expecting too much this trip? I know my single bit of business with Norwegian makes no difference to their bottom line but I can't bring myself to spend another dollar with them in the future. I'll have to take my business elsewhere. Very disappointing.

Otherwise the trip went well - we had very nice weather and enjoyed our time in Alaska.

Edited by SuperCrewBear

I feel the same way.

The service desk people are the worst employees at NCL.

They think they are super stars.

Every time I come off a NCL cruise my son ask me mom how many times you were at the service desk?

I’ve rarely had to visit guest services, but then I’m not a whiner!!! And when I have, Ive never had a bad attitude from the CSR. Maybe because I don’t present myself as demanding and argumentative.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no service called “port valet” that can be booked onboard. The Bags program was discontinued years ago.

The porters/valets in the port are hired after you get off the ship. The only other NCL managed option is an airport transfer where you pay at guest services and then they send you instructions and luggage tags to your cabin a day or two before disembarkation.

Sorry to hear you were not treated in the manner you wished. We've never had a similar issue in our 12 Norwegian cruises, though we've encountered a very few indifferent attitudes. I'd hate to punish the thousands of new members and staff for the actions of a couple people.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

There is no service called “port valet” that can be booked onboard. The Bags program was discontinued years ago.

The porters/valets in the port are hired after you get off the ship. The only other NCL managed option is an airport transfer where you pay at guest services and then they send you instructions and luggage tags to your cabin a day or two before disembarkation.

I too was trying to figure out what they were looking for and could only think of the old "bags" program and the staff was probably thinking some type of disembarkation form.

https://www.visitseattle.org/things-to-do/cruise-information/port-valet/

I sailed on the Pearl out of Seattle last September. Yes, the luggage valet service was a real thing (I didn't use it) and the paperwork was delivered to the cabin at some point during the cruise. I didn't save the paper but I do remember the form had to be returned what I thought was early (like maybe by Wednesday night for a Saturday disembarkation). Again, this was last year, and it's early this season so things could be different.

We used port valet last September and were very pleased. It is provided by the port of Seattle, not NCL. We put our bags out the night before we were to get off and didn't see them again until we reached our home airport. If I remember correctly, we did have to ask for the forms, they were not provided. Also as a side note, not every airline participates.

I just read the 12 page thread on it in the West Coast Departures forum. Seems to be a very selective and elusive program.

:confused: I mean, there are some restrictions (mostly in terms of time). Not everyone participates.

The idea is to make it easy to do a daytrip to Seattle. So, if you have a later flight on a major airline, there's a good chance you'll be eligible. If you're trying to catch the earliest flight out, then no.

If I swore off patronage of an entire corporation because if one surly CS experience, I’d never eat, travel or shop “big box” again.

Does it suck there are rude emplyees in the hospitality industry? Yup.

Does it suck there are rude guests who want to give those in CS a piece of their mind? Oh yeah.

Are there people on the other side of each of the above that will smile, shake their heads and walk away? Tons of them.

I just read the 12 page thread on it in the West Coast Departures forum. Seems to be a very selective and elusive program.

That was my thought. At one point, it looked like Norwegian was in the program, but the program wasn’t available at their pier. So, go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was totally shocked when during our Easter week getaway cruise when I went down to ask a question about 9:30 the night before debark...with a sort of long line...that a very friendly csr came out from behind the counter with her iPad so she could look up pax info etc and started to help the pax waiting in line

Smiles and perfect English. Lovely lady. I was really shocked. The service of the GA was superior that week...April 1....full capacity and then some

I was shocked lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found this post from the OP in 2015, It looks like every time he contacts NCL customer service he receives harsh rude service

Post fromeSuper Bear Crew

"I find this thread interesting. I too have an issue with NCL's customer service. I'm also not going into what the subject matter is here, that I'm upset is enough.

I've never taken a cruise anywhere and just plunked down over $4,000 to NCL for a cruise coming up in the next few months - not including any extra spending I might spend on the ship, on shore excursions, etc. When I called about an issue the lady I spoke with was harsh, rude and abrasive. I, of course, was wrong in her opinion and she would not listen to anything I had to say. When I asked to speak to her supervisor she simply said "I'M ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION!" I told her that I didn't appreciate her attitude and had to insist more than once to speak to someone else. Eventually she connected me with some man who would not speak up enough for me to ever understand what he said his name was after I asked him at least three times to repeat his name. His response about my issue was the same as the lady's. I finally hung up more frustrated than I was when I called.

I've been thinking about this for several days now. I'm not unfamiliar with being the person at the other end of the phone line when talking to reservations/customer service. Many years ago I worked in the reservation center for a very high end hotel chain and if we had treated anyone the way I was treated, we would have been reprimanded. If we repeated this treatment again we would have been let go. Period.

At this time I have about two months to cancel my cruise with a 100% refund. I'm also just about hard headed enough to do that. I've been mulling over my options. The issue I have is actually now irrelevant. The treatment I received, even if it was over a piece of gum, is now the issue. Even if I'm entire wrong I could have been treated much better. What I've been thinking about is: Why would I spend so much money for ANYTHING to be treated so poorly?"

i found this post from the op in 2015, it looks like every time he contacts ncl customer service he receives harsh rude service

post fromesuper bear crew

"i find this thread interesting. I too have an issue with ncl's customer service. I'm also not going into what the subject matter is here, that i'm upset is enough.

i've never taken a cruise anywhere and just plunked down over $4,000 to ncl for a cruise coming up in the next few months - not including any extra spending i might spend on the ship, on shore excursions, etc. When i called about an issue the lady i spoke with was harsh, rude and abrasive. I, of course, was wrong in her opinion and she would not listen to anything i had to say. When i asked to speak to her supervisor she simply said "i'm answering your question!" i told her that i didn't appreciate her attitude and had to insist more than once to speak to someone else. Eventually she connected me with some man who would not speak up enough for me to ever understand what he said his name was after i asked him at least three times to repeat his name. His response about my issue was the same as the lady's. I finally hung up more frustrated than i was when i called.

i've been thinking about this for several days now. I'm not unfamiliar with being the person at the other end of the phone line when talking to reservations/customer service. Many years ago i worked in the reservation center for a very high end hotel chain and if we had treated anyone the way i was treated, we would have been reprimanded. If we repeated this treatment again we would have been let go. Period.

at this time i have about two months to cancel my cruise with a 100% refund. I'm also just about hard headed enough to do that. I've been mulling over my options. The issue i have is actually now irrelevant. The treatment i received, even if it was over a piece of gum, is now the issue. Even if i'm entire wrong i could have been treated much better. What i've been thinking about is: Why would i spend so much money for anything to be treated so poorly?"

lol

I feel the same way.

The service desk people are the worst employees at NCL.

I have always gotten very good service from the employees at guest services no matter the cruise line--NCL, Princess, Carnival. Though, I must say, I go the extra mile to be very courteous and polite, even when I have a complaint. I know that they regularly take a beating in their line of work and I'm not going to contribute to that. In return, I've gotten nothing but courtesy from them. Unfortunately, I've been in line behind passengers who were so rude and condescending to the guest service person that when it was my turn to talk to them I apologized for the behavior of the previous passenger.

I have always gotten very good service from the employees at guest services no matter the cruise line--NCL, Princess, Carnival. Though, I must say, I go the extra mile to be very courteous and polite, even when I have a complaint. I know that they regularly take a beating in their line of work and I'm not going to contribute to that. In return, I've gotten nothing but courtesy from them. Unfortunately, I've been in line behind passengers who were so rude and condescending to the guest service person that when it was my turn to talk to them I apologized for the behavior of the previous passenger.

Thanks you for this comment. Very well said. Totally agree.