Escape's forward facing Ocean View cabins

Sand and Seas

Has anyone stayed in one of these and can tell us what they are like?

Also wondering what the blank area between the six OV cabins on each deck.

I'm guessing they have the kind of 'window-seat' that we have seen in similar forward facing on the 'Away ships. Is the bathroom standard size? They are on upper decks, and we can see it will be a long walk to the stairs and elevators, but that could be good exercise;)

We had a FWD balcony on the Breakaway last year on deck 10, starboard side, just 5 cabins away from those OV - it's great for daily exerciase, saving yourself the trip to use the fitness center or walking tracks, they are all pretty much the same as in the *Away class ships are designed similarly.

The corridors/hallways are narrower and there are some inside staterooms in that area, still - not a lot of foot traffic. It's probably about 170 or 180 steps to the FWD stairs & elevators (155 steps for us, as DW counted) and passage can be a challenge whenever RS have their service carts out along the hallway (just step inside the room's cutout area & yield passage for someone going the opposite direction)

Expect vertical and lateral motions in case of rough sea conditions, as I'm sure veteran cruisers that sail often should know - but, we liked it, even at 15' to 20' seas, it was just fine (Waterfront & outdoors were closed then) - plan ahead for anyone prone to motion sickness.

Bathroom for these staterooms, like the regular balconies and even insides are "generous" in sizes, unlike the smaller Dawn/Jewel class ships, plenty of storage & great layout. There are plenty of Youtube videos, just Google it.

The blank area between the OV on each side is the "secret" passage for the butler & concierge's emergency escape hatch to deck 00 ... LOL - Okay, just kidding ... it's crew access/storage, nothing to worry about. That whole area is pretty quiet at all hours and you will likely have the same RS servicing the corner/Haven suites and RS is kept busy most of the time & around the area ... never did see the concierege when we ducked out and in.

I'm guessing they have the kind of 'window-seat' that we have seen in similar forward facing on the 'Away ships. Is the bathroom standard size? They are on upper decks, and we can see it will be a long walk to the stairs and elevators, but that could be good exercise;)

The Eacape is an -away class ship. Lower floors longer walk to the elevator. We were in 10000 (forward facing Havens room) in May. It was a long walk. The window seat is big enough to sit on. And offers extra storage. Ok views forward.

One minor details, if I'm not mistaken, the window shades/curtains need to remained closed/shut at night while at sea, as lights reflected off the sloping/angled windows - supposed to cause possible "interference" with navigational functions up on the bridge ... third handed info, unverified till someone actually sailed in one of those can attest to it.

Daylight hours, it's not a problem - not much, if anything to see out in darkness. That's my understanding.

One minor details, if I'm not mistaken, the window shades/curtains need to remained closed/shut at night while at sea, as lights reflected off the sloping/angled windows - supposed to cause possible "interference" with navigational functions up on the bridge ... third handed info, unverified till someone actually sailed in one of those can attest to it.

Daylight hours, it's not a problem - not much, if anything to see out in darkness. That's my understanding.

When I sailed on the Gem in a front facing room there was a sign in the room that indeed said to keep the curtains closed at night as the lights interfere with the bridge's visibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we were on the Escape in May, there was no restriction in our Deck 10 forward facing window. We even had a medivac off the bow at 2 am which we sat on the "dresser" and watched.

There's been discussions about the window shades on the Breakaway's forward Oceanview staterooms before - perhaps it's been changed and surely, different for the Escape then & now. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2052401

This linked picture is from the Breakaway, on the lower left corner by the window sills, there's a little sign placed there - advising the guests to leave the shades closed. I recalled seeing the Room Steward doing that during the evening turn-down service as we walked from our FWD balcony nearby to speak to her about something else.

http://images.travelpod.com/users/philamike/3.1367600676.forward-facing-oceanview-stateroom.jpg

I know I've read about this enough here on CC over the years. Of course, NCL is full of surprises these days and changes made without notices shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It is what it is & not directly related to OP's question, just a related FYI.

Some good information- Thanks for your replies!

We are kind of worried about the link to Breakaway's similar cabins and the loud noises keeping people awake. Has anyone experienced this on the Escape? These are the top OceanView category so we were hoping they were a good cabin.

The Eacape is an -away class ship. Lower floors longer walk to the elevator. We were in 10000 (forward facing Havens room) in May. It was a long walk. The window seat is big enough to sit on. And offers extra storage. Ok views forward.

Hi, Bird. My wife and I and our two DDs are in 11706 (FF penthouse) on the Escape this September. Any tips/tricks/advice for us?

We were in a Haven spa suite on the GA earlier this year, so we are familiar with the Haven experience. Just wondered if there was anything specific to that class of rooms you found noteworthy.

Thanks.

The white space is the xx700 stateroom which is wider. On BA and GA that's a disabled stateroom, on Escape it isn't.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016503&page=291 from my post #5808 and up.

We were in room 11102.

Pros:

The cabin felt really spacious. Yes, there was a big windowseat. Lots of storage. We never felt "on top" of each other like in standard oceanviews. The hallway was really quiet, being at the end of deck 11. Good view out the window.

Cons:

Long walk from elevators. Lots of creaks and motion (unlike I've experienced on other ships), but we never got motionsick. I sleep with earplugs, so the creaking never really bothered me. DH doesn't use earplugs, and he slept very well. Never complained of any noises other than some creaking.

And yes, there was a sign saying to keep the shades closed at night.

• 1 year later...
Hi, Bird. My wife and I and our two DDs are in 11706 (FF penthouse) on the Escape this September. Any tips/tricks/advice for us?

We were in a Haven spa suite on the GA earlier this year, so we are familiar with the Haven experience. Just wondered if there was anything specific to that class of rooms you found noteworthy.

Thanks.

Hi

Realised this is an old thread but we are booked in this same cabin this July from New York to Bermuda. How did you find the suite and what was the motion like as I can get motion sickness quite easily?

Hi

Realised this is an old thread but we are booked in this same cabin this July from New York to Bermuda. How did you find the suite and what was the motion like as I can get motion sickness quite easily?

We were on Deck 10. We loved the suite and would book it again any time. It was a longer walk to the elevators (every time you go/come from your stateroom). In "normal" seas, you don't notice the motion. In rough seas, you may get a little more motion. In very rough seas, you will get some noise from the bow being pounded by the ocean. For us, if the seas are rough, every part of the ship will be moving, and we would rather get that forward Haven stateroom than a mid-ship stateroom next to the splash academy on Deck 6

We were on Deck 10. We loved the suite and would book it again any time. It was a longer walk to the elevators (every time you go/come from your stateroom). In "normal" seas, you don't notice the motion. In rough seas, you may get a little more motion. In very rough seas, you will get some noise from the bow being pounded by the ocean. For us, if the seas are rough, every part of the ship will be moving, and we would rather get that forward Haven stateroom than a mid-ship stateroom next to the splash academy on Deck 6

Thank you, what was the walk to the forward elevators like ? My mum has mobility issues and I was worried if it’s a long trek everyday for her. I am thinking of asking for a scooter for her but not sure what the space in the hallway is like?

• 5 months later...

Shadowmeboy, what is the "dead area space" between 14100 and 14700? Is it crew/cabin space?

We have a hold on the room 13100 on the NCL Escape and wondering if that area was loud due to crew space in between those rooms?

Also did you experience motion sickess in this room? Looks like a cool room, something different. We are paying highway robbery on this cruise to be with a family group in July of next year.

Escape forward facing oceanview on deck 14, room 14100.

i-bVT6gxt-L.jpg

i-MNcZ3sP-L.jpg

i-z5mbS9W-L.jpg

i-whZsjCj-L.jpg

our view

i-C7Jh2r6-L.jpg

i-wThwwK5-L.jpg

We had no sign saying the curtains must be closed at night.