Sapphire Beach Updates??

nicknack

The beach at Sapphire is open and the beach grill is operating. There is live music certain days as well. I'm not sure if the dive shop is open as it was damaged but it wouldn't take much for them to open if the cruise ships are coming.

A lot of the foliage is gone and will take awhile to grow back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, that source does give visitors practical information such as are lounge chairs now available for rent, umbrellas, other shade, taxis, etc.

Nicknack again, you can find information on amenities from other visitors here and from drivers when you arrive, and taxi questions are always quickly answered here - just ask! :confused:

Safari bus to Sapphire Beach possible in mid December from near cruise port? We did this in January and it was inexpensive and easy. Wondered if still available or very crowded now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to Sapphire Beach on Friday Dec. 1. It was a fantastic day at Sapphire Beach. We rented 2 loungers ($9 each) and the shared fare from the cruise port was $11/per person each way. The beach was very clean and I didn't encounter any debris in the water while swimming or snorkeling. The bathrooms and the shower on the property were operable. Some of the roads were in rough condition on the way to the beach from the cruise ship, but overall, it didn't delay our travel to and from the beach more than 3 or 4 minutes each way. I loved that Sapphire wasn't very crowded. Lots of space to spread out and enjoy the tranquility with only 20 or so other cruise passengers there that day on the beach. We headed back to the ship around 3:15 PM for our 4:30 departure out of St. Thomas.

I just went to Sapphire Beach on Friday Dec. 1. It was a fantastic day at Sapphire Beach. We rented 2 loungers ($9 each) and the shared fare from the cruise port was $11/per person each way. The beach was very clean and I didn't encounter any debris in the water while swimming or snorkeling. The bathrooms and the shower on the property were operable. Some of the roads were in rough condition on the way to the beach from the cruise ship, but overall, it didn't delay our travel to and from the beach more than 3 or 4 minutes each way. I loved that Sapphire wasn't very crowded. Lots of space to spread out and enjoy the tranquility with only 20 or so other cruise passengers there that day on the beach. We headed back to the ship around 3:15 PM for our 4:30 departure out of St. Thomas.

Question...RCCL has a 3.5 hour excursion to Sapphire for $40.00 pp. It includes lounge chair, 1 comp drink and snorkel equipment ( we don't snorkel) Do you think it is worth it or we should go on our own? Also is Red Hook or any other shopping or restaurants within walking distance to Sapphire?

Question...RCCL has a 3.5 hour excursion to Sapphire for $40.00 pp. It includes lounge chair, 1 comp drink and snorkel equipment ( we don't snorkel) Do you think it is worth it or we should go on our own? Also is Red Hook or any other shopping or restaurants within walking distance to Sapphire?

I would go on my own because that 3.5 hour excursion might be for less than 2 hours beach time at the end of the day, and there is so much to enjoy there, so I would much rather get at least 3 hours of beach time and most cabs that take you there want to make arrangements to take you back to the ship. If you ship leaves port at 4:30, you should leave Sapphire around 3 PM and still have time to browse some shops in port. The scenery at Sapphire is so gorgeous and the feel of the water and the ultra gentle waves are so nice that I'd hate going there for only 2 hours or less. It takes a good 25 or 30 minutes at least to get there from the cruise port, so that's why I'm worried you'll feel cheated out of getting enough time there if you take the ship excursion.

I would go on my own because that 3.5 hour excursion might be for less than 2 hours beach time at the end of the day, and there is so much to enjoy there, so I would much rather get at least 3 hours of beach time and most cabs that take you there want to make arrangements to take you back to the ship. If you ship leaves port at 4:30, you should leave Sapphire around 3 PM and still have time to browse some shops in port. The scenery at Sapphire is so gorgeous and the feel of the water and the ultra gentle waves are so nice that I'd hate going there for only 2 hours or less. It takes a good 25 or 30 minutes at least to get there from the cruise port, so that's why I'm worried you'll feel cheated out of getting enough time there if you take the ship excursion.

Thank you for the info. I have been wondering the same thing. 2 hrs beach time is just a tease. We will be sticking with our original plan and taking a cab. Thanks again.

wlbox, before Irma the $2 bus was always crowded and passed people waiting for it so you often had to wait for the next one, not sure if these are running now or if anything has changed, perhaps someone living there can answer that.

Kayehall, Sapphire is an excellent choice for a beach day - charming beach with beautiful island views. Definitely hop a taxi at the port and go on your own to any beach, the taxi system is excellent and cheap IMHO ($20 - $22/pp round trip). The excursion through the cruise line is cheap, but you only get about 2 hrs at the beach. If you want more beach time take a taxi, there is no need to book that through the cruise line.

Be aware that most of the foliage was damaged from Irma so the natural shade that was there may not be right now. And although the water can be very calm, it can also be rougher depending on the conditions that day. And of course debris under water is a very real concern so water shoes are a good idea when entering the water on any of these islands that were pummeled. But Sapphire is our favorite beach, and you may want to rent a beautiful condo from Beautiful Bill or another owner after experiencing Sapphire. Nothing like staying close to the water on a gorgeous beach.

And Red Hook is a few minutes drive from Sapphire and is not safely walkable. You’d need to taxi there (~$5pp?) then back to the port for ~$10pp. There are shops and restaurants there, but Red Hook is more of a fun spot in the evenings when you stay at Sapphire, Duffy’s Love Shack is a blast!

If docked at Havensight you will find several shops there, just leave a few hours before your ship leaves to allow time to shop.

Sapphire almost always has very pleasant trade winds blowing. An umbrella would be blown away very quickly.

The trees are growing back but they wont have all the foliage back for awhile.

Thanks for the reply. I think we need shade. Guess we will try Coki.

How was the snorkelling at Sapphire? It used to be really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to Sapphire beach on 12/18 and it is beautiful. Still have a long road ahead. The dive shop is open and the bar and grill as well. There is a limited menu and it was cash only. Food was good. We rented chairs from the dive shop and a couple of umbrellas from one of the locals. It was a great day!

Anyone know the current condition of Sapphire Beach and how much damage?

Is it now open and renting lounge chairs, food for sale, bathrooms open?

We docked at Crown on the Oasis on Wednesday, 12/20. We took a van to Sapphire Beach. There was our family of 5 and a couple from the ATL headed going to the beach. There was a group of 3 headed to Red Hook to catch the ferry. The cost was $11 per person one way. The van was air conditioned. The taxi driver did not have much to say so all three families just bantered back and forth about what and how we were enjoying our trip so far.

Our ship was there from 8 to 5. We were at the beach by 9:00AM. Rented 5 chairs from the guys at the Dive Shop for $9 each. It was around 80 degrees with a nice light breeze. Water was fairly clear. We took beach shoes but none of us used them. We stayed about 5 1/2 hours. Canned soft drinks were sold at the Dive Shop for $2 each (a steal in the Caribbean).

The view here is very pretty with all of the mountains in the distance from adjoining islands. The bathroom was open. We are beach people and had a great day here. We did not choose to snorkle. There was a beach excursion that arrived around from our ship around 1:30PM. That is my definition of hell. They were all in line at the Dive Shop getting snorkle equipment. When we left at 2:30PM they were still there.

There were several taxis wanting our business when we were leaving. It was $10 each to downtown. We walked around for about a half hour and then caught a taxi back to the ship for $4 each. It would not be a terrible walk back to the ship if you had the right shoes. We had flip flops so that was not going to happen with us.

We saw lots of damage to roofs on our drive to and from the beach (lots of blue tarps) and there were no working traffic lights anywhere in the areas that we were driven. We saw lots of bucket trucks working on power lines during our trips to and from the beach.

The "$2 bus" safaris are operating on the usual route. As long as there is plenty of room for locals needing a ride and you have the time, I don't see any harm in trying to use them--I'm sure a tip would be appreciated. They need the business as much as the more expensive taxis.

We docked at Crown on the Oasis on Wednesday, 12/20. We took a van to Sapphire Beach. There was our family of 5 and a couple from the ATL headed going to the beach. There was a group of 3 headed to Red Hook to catch the ferry. The cost was $11 per person one way. The van was air conditioned. The taxi driver did not have much to say so all three families just bantered back and forth about what and how we were enjoying our trip so far.

Our ship was there from 8 to 5. We were at the beach by 9:00AM. Rented 5 chairs from the guys at the Dive Shop for $9 each. It was around 80 degrees with a nice light breeze. Water was fairly clear. We took beach shoes but none of us used them. We stayed about 5 1/2 hours. Canned soft drinks were sold at the Dive Shop for $2 each (a steal in the Caribbean).

The view here is very pretty with all of the mountains in the distance from adjoining islands. The bathroom was open. We are beach people and had a great day here. We did not choose to snorkle. There was a beach excursion that arrived around from our ship around 1:30PM. That is my definition of hell. They were all in line at the Dive Shop getting snorkle equipment. When we left at 2:30PM they were still there.

There were several taxis wanting our business when we were leaving. It was $10 each to downtown. We walked around for about a half hour and then caught a taxi back to the ship for $4 each. It would not be a terrible walk back to the ship if you had the right shoes. We had flip flops so that was not going to happen with us.

We saw lots of damage to roofs on our drive to and from the beach (lots of blue tarps) and there were no working traffic lights anywhere in the areas that we were driven. We saw lots of bucket trucks working on power lines during our trips to and from the beach.

Was the beach rocky? There was a review on Trip Advisor complaining of how rocky the beach was and how badly they were treated by people on the beach with shirts that said STAFF on them. See review that says Too Many Rocks! I will post a link, but not sure if that is allowed. Maybe the poster just got it on a bad day after a storm or something?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147407-d148073-Reviews-Sapphire_Beach-East_End_St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html