Norwegian Epic Newbie

TheGinBoy

Hey Guys!

Tom here :) Myself and my partner, Jimmy, will be going on Norwegian Epic in September. We’re not new to cruising, this is my 12th cruise and we’ve done Norwegian Jade twice, but I know very little about the Epic - it is an odd one off ship after all.

So I’ve got some questions if you guys don’t mind?

1. We’ve a week long, port intensive, itinerary. I’m guessing at £100 ($130) for a week’s access to the thermal spa isn’t bad? Worth the money for spa access and some peace and quiet?

2. What’s the best bar on the ship for a decent view? We’re used to the Viking Crown on Royal Caribbean’s ships, and Spinnaker Lounge on Jade.

3. Where would you recommend for a little quiet and sea noise on a sea day? I get there isn’t a “traditional promenade deck” (sad face) but there must be somewhere.

4. We’re looking forward to the ice bar, and know there’s a few, but do we need to book? Or just turn up and wait?

Any other top tips gladly received!

Hey Guys!

Tom here :) Myself and my partner, Jimmy, will be going on Norwegian Epic in September. We’re not new to cruising, this is my 12th cruise and we’ve done Norwegian Jade twice, but I know very little about the Epic - it is an odd one off ship after all.

So I’ve got some questions if you guys don’t mind?

1. We’ve a week long, port intensive, itinerary. I’m guessing at £100 ($130) for a week’s access to the thermal spa isn’t bad? Worth the money for spa access and some peace and quiet?

How tired will you be? Will you actually spend time in the spa? I used it a lot, but I had a Caribbean cruise and wasn't able to walk due to an injury, so that was my "vacation".

2. What’s the best bar on the ship for a decent view? We’re used to the Viking Crown on Royal Caribbean’s ships, and Spinnaker Lounge on Jade.

The EPIC really hasn't any real views. this ship was built to focus on the inside.

3. Where would you recommend for a little quiet and sea noise on a sea day? I get there isn’t a “traditional promenade deck” (sad face) but there must be somewhere.

4. We’re looking forward to the ice bar, and know there’s a few, but do we need to book? Or just turn up and wait? Yes, book ahead. It will be about $20 and includes 2 drinks. Wear socks and shoes so you can be in there long enough to enjoy both of them. :D

Any other top tips gladly received!

See above for answers

Been on the Epic 5 x's and booked again for January.

If your cruise is port intensive would you really spend enough time in the spa to warrant the $260 ($130 ea)? I would not but that is something you have to decide.

There is no bar on the Epic for a good view of the ocean.

If you want a quiet place with sea noise, I would suggest you book a balcony.

You can book the ice bar ahead of time but I have never seen it full. When it is open there is no line and have had friends just walk up and able to go in.

The Epic is a great ship but it is different from most. No promenade and definitely no bar to look out over the ocean.

Hi both,

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it.

I think we will make use of the spa, we're late eaters - probably 20:30/21:00 - so the idea of going for a steam and jacuzzi before dinner sounds wonderful. But I also take your points onboard, something to think about.

It's a shame the Epic is so inward looking, I just hope we have great weather (I mean we totally should do for the first week of September in the Med) so we can use the Spice H20 bar lots. I will miss an 'observation lounge' kind of bar though.

Any other thoughts, tips, must see/dos are always welcome :)

I am not sure if you have any tender ports but if you do, make sure and book your tender when you first get on the ship either at the kiosk or on your tv in the cabin.

Also, book your shows online. Makes it really easy just to be able to walk in and not wait. Priscilla and Burn the Floor are both great shows and worth seeing. Have seen both several times. The Atrium bar is a nice bar to catch a drink before dinner and a fun place to people watch. Great bartenders there.

If you have any of the specialty dining, Cagney's and Le Bistro are awesome. The mussels and lamb at Le Bistro are to die for and the Veal Chop at Cagney's, lets just say wow!

We liked to hang out at O'Sheehans also. Great Thai Chili wings and we love the Salmon Ceasar salad for lunch, especially when we tend to eat too much.:eek:

Been on the Epic 5 x's and booked again for January.

If your cruise is port intensive would you really spend enough time in the spa to warrant the $260 ($130 ea)? I would not but that is something you have to decide.

There is no bar on the Epic for a good view of the ocean.

If you want a quiet place with sea noise, I would suggest you book a balcony.

You can book the ice bar ahead of time but I have never seen it full. When it is open there is no line and have had friends just walk up and able to go in.

The Epic is a great ship but it is different from most. No promenade and definitely no bar to look out over the ocean.

Thanks for the tips. We're first time Epic sailors too and on the westbound TA leaving Barcelona on Nov 4th. Maybe too early but they are not offering reservations for the Ice Bar yet. We've already booked speciality restaurants and Priscilla and Burn the Floor.

With regard to sea views, there are a couple of options. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Firstly, Spice H2O has some quite nice views from the aft. There is a big screen which gets in the way a bit, but it’s probably the best bar location.

Also, above the buffet, there is an area on the starboard side which is public access (on the other side of the ship from Posh. You access it via a lift. We have found it’s probably the best public area for looking out to sea and sometimes go up there during sail away.

I don’t believe there is a bar up there now (I have vague memories that there was years ago), but on rare occasions I have seen wait staff there. Worst case, it’s not too far to travel down in the lift to the pool bar for refills.

We do tend to use our balcony though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, book your shows online. Makes it really easy just to be able to walk in and not wait. Priscilla and Burn the Floor are both great shows and worth seeing.

:eek:

Priscilla is risque and definitely 18+ but we absolutely loved it!

Hope you enjoy Epic, she gets a lot of trash talk but I found her unique and would love to go again.

I'm certainly glad we booked a balcony!

With regard to the spa, the Epic has the best spa in the fleet. There are saunas and steamrooms in the men’s locker room. And coed steam and saunas on the main spa areas. The saunas in the main spa areas have large picture windows to watch the sea go by.

The spa has a small, aft facing outdoor balcony to rest and relax.

We love the spa and will book it on every cruise. On port intensive cruises, we love to sit and soak the the hot, bubbling waters of the hydro therapy pool to relax those tired muscles.

Spa passes are usually $200 per week.

We have been on the Epic 6 times (twice in the Med). Enjoy!

Great to know the facilities are worth the fee.

The price £105 ($136) is what the NCL planner is giving us per person. Must have reduced the price recently.

I sure hope they did, if so I will book it. Too far out to look at my NCL for the price for our cruise. I know we are planning on booking the spa thermal pass on the Seaside next year which is suppose to be awesome.