Walkie Talkies??

pmoniz

Does anyone still use walkie talkies on the ship or are they just a pain?

My sister-in-law and I were thinking about packing some. Both our husbands sleep in later than us so we were trying to think of a way to let each other know where we are in the morning? We've done the sticky note thing on each others doors, but it doesn't really work since the area we try to go to for our meeting spot may be occupied by others and we have to change locations.

Any thoughts?

Been there done that. It's more of a pain than it is worth. It was pretty amusing contact my party and getting a response from another cruise passenger that's on the same frequency though. The one time I used them was to determine when the others wanted to do lunch. If you arrange a set time to catch up, eat or whatever, then there's no need.

But you wouldn't mind carrying a walkie-talkie? Hmmmm!

No, I wouldn't!! My PHONE is attached to me constantly! So I HATE having it on vacation! Also, if I lost/damaged my phone I'd be pissed! The walkie talkie I wouldn't care about! OK?

Walkie talkies never worked for us. And we have the ones that vibrate. Either forgot to charge it, or it got left in the room. I even left the charger for one on athe 2nd ship we used them on. I wouldnt fool with them again. Call the room before you leave your cabin or just walk over.

When we used walkie talkies it worked out in public areas ok but in our cabins there was zero reception. And when it did work we sometimes got other passengers on the same frequency as ours that started chatting with us thinking we were someone else. I got tired of the walkie talkies going off all the time and it wasn't a family member, it was a stranger. I would say they worked about half of the time.

I understand your not wanting a phone with you. I love disconnecting from the outside world with no phone or computer and just relaxing. But I think I might give into the Hub app just because it's so darn convenient. It has interactive deck plans so I don't have to carry around a copy of the deck plans. It has the daily schedule of events so I don't need to carry the fun times around either. Plus I can check our account and make needed adjustments without standing in line at the pursers desk or the kiosk. And I can text members in my party to keep up with them. I don't like the idea of having my phone around because I don't want my nose in it all the time. But my choice is carrying around a walkie talkie, and a fun times, and the deck plans, and sticky notes in case the walkie talkies aren't working, or one phone then I'll just choose the one phone. :)

When we used walkie talkies it worked out in public areas ok but in our cabins there was zero reception. And when it did work we sometimes got other passengers on the same frequency as ours that started chatting with us thinking we were someone else. I got tired of the walkie talkies going off all the time and it wasn't a family member, it was a stranger. I would say they worked about half of the time.

I understand your not wanting a phone with you. I love disconnecting from the outside world with no phone or computer and just relaxing. But I think I might give into the Hub app just because it's so darn convenient. It has interactive deck plans so I don't have to carry around a copy of the deck plans. It has the daily schedule of events so I don't need to carry the fun times around either. Plus I can check our account and make needed adjustments without standing in line at the pursers desk or the kiosk. And I can text members in my party to keep up with them. I don't like the idea of having my phone around because I don't want my nose in it all the time. But my choice is carrying around a walkie talkie, and a fun times, and the deck plans, and sticky notes in case the walkie talkies aren't working, or one phone then I'll just choose the one phone. :)

Thank you! My point, exactly. Really love to disconnect and yes, not have my nose in it all the time, as you stated!! But you made some valid points about the HUB app!

Is your resistance to carrying your phone:

1) not wanting to be in constant contact, or

2) the reminder of what the phone represents?

If the former, remember you will be in airplane mode without cell reception. So, no one can call or text you. It will only be a device for the Hub.

I will be bringing an iphone and an ipad. I will carry the iphone, and the ipad will be in the cabin. We will get the Social Media plan for $25 for the 7-day cruise. I will message my wife through FB to let her know where I am. She can use the ipad to check her FB messages to find out where I am.

Note: I will only pay for the social media plan for one device. When you login with one device it will log you out of the other device. Not as good as hub texting, but better than sticky notes. Plus, Social Media allows us to stay in contact with the family at home.

Edited by richmke

Is your resistance to carrying your phone:

1) not wanting to be in constant contact, or

2) the reminder of what the phone represents?

If the former, remember you will be in airplane mode without cell reception. So, no one can call or text you. It will only be a device for the Hub.

I will be bringing an iphone and an ipad. I will carry the iphone, and the ipad will be in the cabin. We will get the Social Media plan for $25 for the 7-day cruise. I will message my wife through FB to let her know where I am. She can use the ipad to check her FB messages to find out where I am.

Note: I will only pay for the social media plan for one device. When you login with one device it will log you out of the other device. Not as good as hub texting, but better than sticky notes. Plus, Social Media allows us to stay in contact with the family at home.

#2 for sure!

Good tips. However, I don't do FB so the Hub app is what I'd have to go with if I decide to go that route. Or I'll just stick to what we've always done on all our previous cruises and just walk around till we find our peeps if they aren't in our "designated" area that we choose to meet!

DH used to bring ours on every cruise for a few years. We have the good ones with several-mile range and more "channels" than most. They worked just fine on the ships, but we found we never really needed them. So we don't bother bringing them anymore.

However, they are indispensable to us when I accompany him on his work trips to a little Abaco out island. While he works at the client site, I wander the island in my golf cart and we can keep in touch all day.:) This is what made us think they would be useful on our cruises.

But nope, on our cruises we just never found a need for the walkies. But then, on our cruises we are hardly ever apart. And if we are, it's usually because he's taking a nap in the cabin. So I know where to find him.:p

Did it once, never again. I brought a set of good Motorola 3-mile range radios and like stated above they worked if outside on the decks but just dead weight in the cabin areas. I would have to be about 5-6 cabins near mine to get any kind of reception. I did get a nearby fishing boat one night and chatted with them for a few minutes which was quite fun!

In my experience it was too hard to hear in the wind and around the people and music on the Lido. Missed even the beeps. What good is that? Gonna try HUB this time with 16 year old and MAYBE 7 yr old but probably not. They will be together or she will be with me or at camp. Too easy to lose a cell phone.

We bought a very good set and it was a pain to try and talk along with everyone else that had them. Decided to not use them but we went on a trip with another couple that had kids and they thought they would like the kids to have them. Second evening we were all gathered and the kids had them with them. I learned you better be prepared for some language etc that you would not normally hear. The later it got the worse it got. Heard some great jokes etc. for back at the construction site but kids lost the radios.

Remember the all rooms have phones and they are also located in public venues. Just call the room and if they are not there leave a message.

On the first day we identify several "community" locations where we will check, periodically, to see if any of our travel mates have gathered....like on the even hour. We also choose an area of the lido deck and the buffet seating where we try and find seating so that the slow ones can meet up with us when they get moving.

As far as the kids we try and set several times during the day when we can meet up to touch bases and find out everyone's plans.

This all works for us...maybe it can work for you, too.

Remember the all rooms have phones and they are also located in public venues. Just call the room and if they are not there leave a message.

On the first day we identify several "community" locations where we will check, periodically, to see if any of our travel mates have gathered....like on the even hour. We also choose an area of the lido deck and the buffet seating where we try and find seating so that the slow ones can meet up with us when they get moving.

As far as the kids we try and set several times during the day when we can meet up to touch bases and find out everyone's plans.

This all works for us...maybe it can work for you, too.

That's what we do too. We find several "spots" that we will gather to meet up or whatever. Decided to just stick with that instead of walkie talkies or cellphones!

As far as the phones in the room - we don't like using them in the morning just in case people are still sleeping. So we'll go with the stickie notes on the doors!

Does anyone still use walkie talkies on the ship or are they just a pain?

My sister-in-law and I were thinking about packing some. Both our husbands sleep in later than us so we were trying to think of a way to let each other know where we are in the morning? We've done the sticky note thing on each others doors, but it doesn't really work since the area we try to go to for our meeting spot may be occupied by others and we have to change locations.

Any thoughts?

I've done walkie talkies on several of my cruises and they're good for keeping in touch with kids or family. Just ensure that you stay on the public channels so that you don't interfere with any other radios using that frequency. In foreign countries the frequencies can change and be used by government and military, so just be respectful in other countries if you do happen to come across a used non-public channel.

• 1 year later...
I am planning on it for one of our kids. That and we have a group of 8 so two groups with a walkie talkie in each would help.

I like letting the oldest wander the ship a little bit and still be able to reach him as needed.

It looks as if you’re on your cruise now. When you get back can you let me know how the walkie talkies worked out. I am considering them for teenagers as well as I hear the hub texting is not always reliable. What were your findings?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums