Trans Atlantic Cruise, What Month?

Jack E Dawson

My wife and I are planning a Trans Atlantic (TA) cruise for 2019. Last year we did a TA on he QM2 in early May and were fortunate to have had very mild weather that allowed us to enjoy the promenade deck and the stern hot tubs all but one day. For this next TA cruise we were thinking of pushing the date back to June, July or even August to have even better odds of having mild weather. Of course we know that the later we push it back the greater the chance that we run into a tropical storm or even a hurricane. We also realize that weather on the North Atlantic can be a crap-shoot. Does anyone have any suggestions on this timing issue?

Thanks

Harold

My wife and I are planning a Trans Atlantic (TA) cruise for 2019. Last year we did a TA on he QM2 in early May and were fortunate to have had very mild weather that allowed us to enjoy the promenade deck and the stern hot tubs all but one day. For this next TA cruise we were thinking of pushing the date back to June, July or even August to have even better odds of having mild weather. Of course we know that the later we push it back the greater the chance that we run into a tropical storm or even a hurricane. We also realize that weather on the North Atlantic can be a crap-shoot. Does anyone have any suggestions on this timing issue?

Thanks

Harold

Last September the QM2 encountered force 11 winds. (Tbe behufort scale only goes to 12) The captain put the wind on bow, and closed all the deck 7 access to the promenade. There was still access aft to decks 6 & 8 (splash pool & terrace pool) A few hardy folks were in the hot tubs - others were enjoying a refreshing 80 knot breeze on the promenade (access from the stern)

Thanks

Harold

I crossed in July a couple of years ago and we had the fog horn going for two days in the middle of the crossing. You can never tell with weather can you?

I agree with DreamingflatPat.

As an example we took QM2 on a crossing in May of 2014 and Harold the weather was quite different for us. We could only go out on the promenade deck the last day and even then it was pretty chilly. One afternoon moments after the Meet and Mingle get together started we encountered very rough movement. It was rough enough that most of us left early and I have good sea legs.

July sounds good to me but again we are talking about weather and with each passing year there seems to be less of a pattern to it.

In fact the following year we sailed the British Isles in August and the weather we encountered was less like August and more like November. You just never know.

Keith

Thanks

Harold

We are doing a Round trip Trans Atlantic Southampton-NYC-Southampton (M820C) on 3rd June 18 so will give you a weather report on our return.

We have done many crossings in summer and winter. There is obviously a better chance of a smooth crossing in summer compared with winter, but we've had calm seas in December and rough seas in July. You can't be sure that the summer months will be better.

On the other hand, the Atlantic is never quite the same from day-to-day. Every crossing is a great experience and occasion despite the weather or time of year. We enjoy them all.

You pays your money and takes your chances! I've seen the North Atlantic as smooth as a mill pond during January and rough 'n ready during the summer. I've also seen nothing but fog for five days, back when crossings were five days, during August, and warm blue skies during winter.