Shore excursion in dubrovnik.

bingo queen

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some information on WALKING THE WALLS IN DUBROVNIK.

Is it better to book through the ship excursions ( £42.00 per adult with tour of City first, including guide) or is it just as easy to arrange ourselves when we get into the city. Would there be tours with English speaking guides and would it work out cheaper.??

Thank you in advance.

Also agree easy to do DIY but I would recommend getting off the ship early and trying to beat the tours as it can get quite busy up there. Also, if it's a hot day, better to be coming down before it gets too hot as there's no shade and the heat is reflected off the paving slabs. It's a good idea to take a bottle of water too.

Hi I have cruised into Dubrovnik several times here are my trip tips

Agree with all thee comments about walking the walls of need currency make water and go early. Great views and go at own pace.

Done the cable car car too twice get shuttle bus to Pile gate and then cablecar station about five minute walk look up and look for cables!!!!

Again need currency or pay on credit card short journey to top but then amazing views and all facilities including a bar where you can view the panorama.

Last year did a Tuk Tuk tour ship organised and it was amazing picked up from quayside and travelled with another couple along lovely country roads seeing the sights from a different perspective. The guide was excellent and made regular stops in the two hour trip for photo opportunities. One of the stops was at the cable car station ( so anyone afraid of cable cars this is good for you)

Tour finished at Pile Gate and we then spent time in Dubrovnik and caught shuttle bus back. Anyone considering this trip book an early time slot as the roads are quieter and it's not too hot.

Love Dubrovnik never tire of it .

We too have done the cable car and as spf says it's easy to do yourself and much better in that you can spend as much or little time up there as you choose. We usually stay much longer than an organised trip allows as we just love to have a leisurely drink in the cafe at the top which overlooks the Harbour (the classic tourist photos you see of Dubrovnik).

The currency in Dubrovnik is Kuna and since we first visited it has become easier to pay in Euros though sometimes the exchange rate isn't great everywhere so it's worth just bearing that in mind and perhaps just comparing if you're looking for somewhere for a drink. One place we went to offered coffee and cake for 5 Euros iirc so very reasonable.

We don't bother buying Kuna though as it would be only a relatively small amount and hard to predict just how much and not be left currency at the end of the day. We've found our credit card was accepted widely eg for the cable car and at the cafe on top. Please check, or perhaps someone will confirm, but I believe you can use a CC for the walls now too. We have a card with no transaction charge and excellent exchange rates so prefer not to bother buying currency for just one destination. We do take plenty of Euros though for elsewhere.

Yes, agree to everything that has been said. Only thing I thought was awful last time I was there, there were 5 ships in and you couldn't move in the town. So I hope you are the only ship in!

Goodness... I can imagine how crowded it must have been! Unless people go on excursions out of Dubrovnik, the Walls, Cable Car, Harbour and the Old Town (which is very compact) really are the places everyone is going to make for - and all can be pulled in within the day so it must have been thronged! Yes, to get the best experience it would certainly help if there aren't too many ships in.

You can check on your visit from here. Choose Oceana from the drop down list and all sailings are shown. It's pretty reliable in my experience but of course things can and do change!

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

Edited by kruzseeka

Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies.

We are going in April so hopefully won't be too warm.

The only date in April I could see with Dubrovnik has this info for Oceana:

From the cruise.cal site, you have a nice long time in port and only one Costa ship in port with you - and that leaves early afternoon so by 1.00pm most of their passengers will be heading back to the ship. If things don't change that should be really good for you. Enjoy! :)

Oceana 8:00:00 AM - 10:00:00 PM 04/08/2017Dubrovnik, Croatia Costa Deliziosa 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Agree with all the above posts.

Going off at a tangent. When you are walking the walls you will see that some of the roofs are darker and brighter than the rest. These are the ones which were blown off by shelling during the Yugoslavian civil war in the early 1990s the replacements have not fully weathered yet. You can buy a book in some shops entitled Dubrovnik at War which includes many pictures taken during that time.

There a little café up on the walls about halfway round. It's about 6 years since we were there but if it's still run by the same people they were lovely and friendly and not at all a rip off. The chap behind the counter was delighted when I tried out my couple of words of Croat! There is also a little shade to be had in the turrets at strategic points, if you can get in them for people doing photo ops! :D

Loads to do DIY in Dubrovnic as others have outlined.

It is also the birth place of the gentlemans neck tie and they have some lovely tie shops with ties that are just a bit different to what you can get in the UK.

There are also craft shops and a Christmas shop that sells traditional Croatian decorations which are pretty and make nice gifts to take home.

The shuttle buses are a bit of a bun fight with too many people all trying to get back to their ships. Last time we hopped on a local bus as it is a straight road back to the port, time before that we shared a taxi with another couple who were also fed up waiting for a shuttle but you needed local currency for both options. (I am presuming that you are not at tender).