Oceania Sirena immigration screw up to cost passengers extra 18%

St Paul Girl

We disembarked in Lima with bus loads of passengers who did NOT book extra after cruise arrangements. What was missing was everyones Peru TAM blue immigration card!

What this means is that All of us are not recognized in the immigration Bata base that is used to exempt us from paying the 18% VAT on hotel rooms and other meals bought at the hotel.

More importantly, immigration has no record of us entering Peru.

The same data base is used for clearing us before we all fly home.

Thanks Oceania, my bill for those costs will be coming.

If you handle our passports, you are responsible for the screw up.

This will have a major impact on our sailing again with Oceania.

We disembarked in Lima with bus loads of passengers who did NOT book extra after cruise arrangements. What was missing was everyones Peru TAM blue immigration card!

What this means is that All of us are not recognized in the immigration Bata base that is used to exempt us from paying the 18% VAT on hotel rooms and other meals bought at the hotel.

More importantly, immigration has no record of us entering Peru.

The same data base is used for clearing us before we all fly home.

Thanks Oceania, my bill for those costs will be coming.

If you handle our passports, you are responsible for the screw up.

This will have a major impact on our sailing again with Oceania.

I'm not sure how Oceania can be responsible for the actions or (inactions) of the immigration officials of the country you are disembarking in?

Clearly you (and others) did not bother to read the terms and conditions that Oceania provide?

Do I need a passport, visa or special vaccinations?

Passport and visa requirements and regulations in regards to vaccination certificates and other health requirements vary by destination.
It is the sole responsibility of each guest to obtain and have available appropriate valid travel and health documents for their chosen itinerary
. Any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of cruise fare or any other travel components purchased from Oceania Cruises will be issued. Passports must be valid six months from the date of trip completion. Due to airline security measures, your passport name must match your airline ticket name or you may be denied boarding.
Oceania Cruises accepts no responsibility for obtaining required visas or for advising guests of visa or other immigration requirements beyond the guidelines indicated.

First, knock off with the quoting Oceania can do no wrong! They screwed up!

It was Oceania's responsibility to give us back our passports with the TAM card.

This is not the first time they screwed this up.

Anyway, all of us who had Brown luggage tags are in the same boat! Many buses.

Will continue to update on how this is resolved.

First, knock off with the quoting Oceania can do no wrong! They screwed up!

It was Oceania's responsibility to give us back our passports with the TAM card.

This is not the first time they screwed this up.

Anyway, all of us who had Brown luggage tags are in the same boat! Many buses.

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm providing a link to a thread in the Trip Advisor Forum about Peru. The title of this thread is "Peru TAM immigration card no longer issues/needed?" The thread is dated 2016. The thread's OP tells about his/her visit to three destinations in Peru without a TAM card. He/she only had difficulty in one hotel and that worked out quickly.

One poster in this thread explained why things worked out: "There is now a website that the Hotels are supposed to check, they just need your passport information and the website will give them your entry date and status for the IGV tax exemption. If a hotel tries to charge you the 18%, just tell them to contact immigration and they will give them the web-address for the site."

Hope this helps you and the other "brown luggage tag" cruisers similarly impacted.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294311-i818-k10062030-Peru_TAM_immigration_card_no_longer_issued_needed-Peru.html

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm providing a link to a thread in the Trip Advisor Forum about Peru. The title of this thread is "Peru TAM immigration card no longer issues/needed?" The thread is dated 2016. The thread's OP tells about his/her visit to three destinations in Peru without a TAM card. He/she only had difficulty in one hotel and that worked out quickly.

One poster in this thread explained why things worked out: "There is now a website that the Hotels are supposed to check, they just need your passport information and the website will give them your entry date and status for the IGV tax exemption. If a hotel tries to charge you the 18%, just tell them to contact immigration and they will give them the web-address for the site."

Hope this helps you and the other "brown luggage tag" cruisers similarly impacted.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294311-i818-k10062030-Peru_TAM_immigration_card_no_longer_issued_needed-Peru.html

All that I can say is Bravo!

This exchange of useful and pertinent information is the very best use of Cruise Critic.

NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT....

The OP is correct. If you fly in at Jorge Chavez International -- you are entered into the data base automatically.

If you arrive at a land or sea border -- you must complete a TAM card application. This card should have been filled out and presented to immigration, https://www.migraciones.gob.pe/tam/tam_en.pdf

Whether O or the traveler is responsible for this omission - I will leave it up to the Lawyers.

I just googled this and Pet Nit Noy is correct, TAM cards have not been issued since some time in 2016. Airlines no longer issue them. Passengers entering Peru by vessel or air are entered into an online database. Vendors are to consult the database.

I read trip reports documenting most hotels do not ask for it anymore.

It crossed my mind that the occasional vendor demanding to see a TAM card knows full well they are no longer issued. Asking for the card may be a method to scam an extra 18 percent from a frightened tourist. A shakedown.

From personal experience Lima can be a scary place. We disembarked Marina in Lima spring 2016. We had a TAM card and all our documents were in order. We have traveled the world without incident or scrutiny beyond passport and visa checks. For unknown reasons we were detained at Lima airport security for 15-20 minutes. No one spoke to us but multiple people were called over to look us over. I had fleeting thoughts they were not going to let us leave. I was mentally calculating how much cash I had on my person and would have paid whatever just to get out of there. We were finally waved through. Didn’t relax until wheels were up and we were on an American plane en route to the US.

First, knock off with the quoting Oceania can do no wrong!

I did not state this - nor would I ever say this. Oceania is great, but not perfect.

My point is, rather than blaming others for things that go wrong, why not take responsibility for actions that are within your control. For example:

• Before leaving - did you you check your visa requirements for Peru?
  • When you received your passports back (presumably the night before) - did you check that you had all the documentation that you needed?

Anyway, all of us who had Brown luggage tags are in the same boat!

Sorry to be pedantic - but after disembarking, you are no longer in the same boat

As per subsequent posts by Pet Nit Not and Sammiedawg, - it appears that the TAM card is no longer required.

If so, I look forward to your update - and if appropriate, profuse apology :)

I did find this on the Internet: https://howtoperu.com/peru-tourist-visa-tarjeta-andina/

Please note that the date of this article is 15 March of this year. Comments please.

I am taking one for my wife and I JIC.

Comment: Although the date of the article is 15 March 2017, in fact, it was originally written in 2011 judging by the date of the earliest comments. This is worth mentioning, because I've found a second source that says that as of November 2016 Peru has done away with the paper TAM and now enters data entry electronically. So we're at the point where different web links are offering dueling realities: TAM yes and TAM no.

It's definitely time for anyone who will be visiting Peru -- whether arriving by plane or cruise ship -- to make direct contact with a consulate. (The NY consulate, for example, has a web page listing phone number, FAX number, and email.)

I agree it is very important to check official websites. But remember to drill down to your particular nationality and the passport you travel on. Ignore the rest.

The conflicting info on Peru reminds me of other immigration issues. For years I read a lot of conflicting info about Brazilian visas. A lot of the info was dated or didn’t apply to Americans traveling on US passports.

I hope the OP comes back with an update so we can all learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this only in Peru? I often stay in a port after a cruise. Sometimes by choice because I want to see more of the area. Sometimes because air reservations are not available on the day of disembarkation. I pay for the hotel including the VAT. I never knew that it was not collected in some cases. Does anyone know whether or not VAT should be paid?

We also stay after debarkation, without issue. Did this twice in Lima as late as May 2016 on Oceania. Although they did screw up debarking transportation for non post excursion or airport transfer customers, we had no issue with immigration/customs. Something has changed and I would bet it's the government rules. I would'nt cast stones or pass judgement until someone puts forth hard evidence.