Kuaui chickens

Geronamo79

They are everwhere, but I don't rember any around the beach, only around the grassy, trees, woodsey areas. They don't bother you if you don't bother them. Please remind your fiance that they are chickens - they cannot fly and they are small. Now if they were snakes, I would have been worried:)

They will be present at all beaches on the grassy areas even at resorts such as Starwood properties. They are at most scenic oovrlooks in Waimea canyon area. Best bet for sightseeing would be helicopter or boar excursions.

My fiancé is deathly afraid of chickens.....is there anywhere on kuaui that we can avoid them? Any beaches where they are not found?....

They don't like the sand for some reason, maybe it's too hot on their feet but they are everywhere and are not bothersome.

IMG_2330.jpg.40b86b272c5350fbfae236b915f59999.jpg

There's the recipe that you'll hear on many a tour of Kauai: You boil the typical feral Kauai chicken for so many hours, then throw away the chicken, and use the broth. The chickens are inedible.

Maybe you can use the type of training used for phobias -- show your fiance photos of cartoon chickens, then step it up and start showing her drawings, then actual photos.

They probably stay away from people.

PC250133_zps628a3144.jpg

PC250135_zpsc51558bf.jpg

Cruisin' Chick that first pic is that a snake above the back of the chicken? Certainly looks like one to me.

Don't see a snake. If you mean the dark curled stuff - that's the chicken's tail feathers. There are no snakes in Hawaii, at least in theory. Occasionally someone will find one that's someone's escaped 'pet' and it makes the news.

My Franko map said they are "lovingly" called junglefowl. They only approached us when we had food. They are a cross between a chicken and a Polynesian bird. The most beautiful roosters you will ever see! But they come very close, and the males are very large and intimidating. If she is afraid of chickens, do not eat food around them. I was eating a shave ice at the beach and a rooster stood within inches of me the whole time.

We were at the blow hole tourist stop. We rented a van with two other couples (table mates). One of the women was afraid of the chickens. DW and I walked with her between us. The husband was no help, I think he was embarrassed. The chickens know they are protected and are not especially afraid of people. It's a bad combination if you suffer from Alektorophobia - yup, there's a name for it. Good luck!

Don't see a snake. If you mean the dark curled stuff - that's the chicken's tail feathers. There are no snakes in Hawaii, at least in theory. Occasionally someone will find one that's someone's escaped 'pet' and it makes the news.

Wow I looked at it again and still looks like a snake that,s doin it's thing after getting hold of it, but i guess not. Thanks

Cruisin Chick: Go back to the 1880's. The mongoose was imported because of a magazine article that said they could be used to control rats. Rats were a huge problem in the sugar cane fields. Slight problem in that the magazine wasn't correct. The effect of the mongoose on the rat was negligible. The mongoose is active mainly in the daytime and rats are active mainly at night.:eek: So instead of controlling one invasive non-native species, they introduced another one. The mongoose really has destroyed a lot of native bird populations.

There was something about a certain road being paved with good intentions???

Funny thing, the mongoose is not present on Kauai. It might do something about the chickens. They love eggs.

Enjoy

Ron

I have a friend that has parents who live on Kauai. He told me that during a hurricane in the 1970's there were several chicken farms that were destroyed and the chickens went free to populate the island.

Another funny story: We were in Kauai with our kids and stopped to eat at a McDonald's. We ate at the outside tables and we had chickens begging for chicken nuggets.

Our tour guide in Kauai told us that the Polynesians brought over the chickens to Hawaii. They used them for eggs and meat, but also raised them for cockfighting. Not all of those were kept in cages and some got out of cages and populated the islands. It was strange how the chickens were not afraid of people at all. They are at the top of the food chain with no natural predators there. The chickens don't even try to scurry out of your way when you pass by. They were not aggressive at all, but it was strange to see them running through the Costco parking lot.

We weren't aware of the chickens until we were on the island during our cruise. We were told the same story about the hurricane and the chickens just seemed to multiple and thrive in the wild. My Grandson was terrorizing the chickens. He kept running after them attempting to catch them. Fortunately, he was unsuccessful. Had they been likely to have attacked anyone, my Grandson would have been on their "Most Wanted" list, although I know that probably won't make your fiancee feel any comfort.

We actually saw a bunch running in the KFC parking lot, I was too slow with my camera or that would have been one Kodak moment :D

Our tour guide in Kauai told us that the Polynesians brought over the chickens to Hawaii. They used them for eggs and meat, but also raised them for cockfighting. Not all of those were kept in cages and some got out of cages and populated the islands. It was strange how the chickens were not afraid of people at all. They are at the top of the food chain with no natural predators there. The chickens don't even try to scurry out of your way when you pass by. They were not aggressive at all, but it was strange to see them running through the Costco parking lot.

We actually saw a bunch running in the KFC parking lot, I was too slow with my camera or that would have been one Kodak moment :D

That would have been hysterical. You could have sent that to Ellen for her "What's wrong with this photo?" photo segment.

Archived