Cutting Air-Conditioning to Save Fuel Costs

stevenr597

Carnival Corporation announced today that they are saving millions of dollars in regards to fuel costs on their ships. One item in this article was their air-conditioning systems. Carnival states that they are installing new energy efficient systems. They stated that A.C. on ships was one of their biggest fuel costs.

On several threads I have noticed comments from passengers that they have found the cabins on CCL to be hot and stuffy at times. In the past when we have sailed we have never had a problem with the cabin temperatures

However, in an attempt to lower their energy bills, do you think that Carnival is turning up the temperatures in both the cabins and common areas on their ships? What has been you experience?

the timing of this post is uncanny.

We just got off the Victory a couple weeks ago. We called maintenance because we thought the cabin was warmer than we wished. They came and checked it. They left a card stating that the A/C was operating within carnival standards.

Usually DW if yelling at me to turn the air down because she is too cold. Not on this cruise.

For the record, we were on the same ship(victory) last year and had no A/C complaints. well except wife was too cold. but we could adjust. wonder if they put in the efficient systems on the Victory or just turned it down or was it just our cabin.... hmmm

Common areas seemed to be the same. the main show room was down right cold. only the cabin is what we noticed.

Edited by CruiserRose

Speaking from experience, NO, they are NOT.

I am so happy for you. This has been from your own personal experience and not from the hundreds (or more) passengers that have felt this happen on their cruises and have been miserable in their cabins. I believe this question was for those have legitimate complaints. Once you have experienced this no amount of compensation truly makes up for a miserable sleepless night .

Carnival Corporation announced today that they are saving millions of dollars in regards to fuel costs on their ships. One item in this article was their air-conditioning systems. Carnival states that they are installing new energy efficient systems. They stated that A.C. on ships was one of their biggest fuel costs.

On several threads I have noticed comments from passengers that they have found the cabins on CCL to be hot and stuffy at times. In the past when we have sailed we have never had a problem with the cabin temperatures

However, in an attempt to lower their energy bills, do you think that Carnival is turning up the temperatures in both the cabins and common areas on their ships? What has been you experience?[/quoteI

I agree with your last statement as I am sure MANY OTHERS will also.

I'm also glad Carnival is saving so much money. This is good for busines. BUT do not do this this at my expense. If installing more energy efficient AC'S contributes to their bottom line. Good job! AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T DO THIS AT MY EXPENSE (comfort level)

I am so happy for you. This has been from your own personal experience and not from the hundreds (or more) passengers that have felt this happen on their cruises and have been miserable in their cabins. I believe this question was for those have legitimate complaints. Once you have experienced this no amount of compensation truly makes up for a miserable sleepless night .

I have NOT experienced and I don't want to. that's why I am glad this info is coming out in advance of my cruise. If true, I simply want Carnival to fix it or give me back my non-refindable deposit and I will sail Princess again. this is an important factor for you, me and many others. folks that don't mind - Bon Voyage!

I am sure it is, but he can speak for himself. I can tell you from my experience that the answer is the A/C is working fine on all of ours. Or is this just a thread where people having issues can complain?

I've always thought Carnival ships are too warm especially in the common areas. I attributed it to all the lights. I'm leaving in a few days on the Sensation. I hope my cabin is cool. Middle aged ladies have hot flashes! In March, on the Constellation we felt like the room was too warm. Celebrity sent someone and he went in the hallway and changed something. Next thing you know it was freezing in the cabin. I've never had to increase the temp in a cabin before.

I've always thought Carnival ships are too warm especially in the common areas. I attributed it to all the lights. I'm leaving in a few days on the Sensation. I hope my cabin is cool. Middle aged ladies have hot flashes! In March, on the Constellation we felt like the room was too warm. Celebrity sent someone and he went in the hallway and changed something. Next thing you know it was freezing in the cabin. I've never had to increase the temp in a cabin before.

whoa! Celebrity put the guests' comfort first? Take note Carnival!

I am sure it is, but he can speak for himself. I can tell you from my experience that the answer is the A/C is working fine on all of ours. Or is this just a thread where people having issues can complain?

I believe that was the subject. Call it compaining if you must but I prefer to think of it as a thread that might rectify an on going problem for many..Simply would like some kind of resolution NOT compensation.

Please feel free to post all the good experiences with cabin room temps to balance this one out if you wish.

I also noticed it. But for me it seemed that it lacked oxygen, being warm was not that much of a problem for me. I never even use air conditioner in the summer at home.

I was on Splendor in June, when I just got in the room it was warm but the worst part like I said I felt like there was a lack of oxygen. I thought let me just wait a few hours and see if the air conditioner will start working better after the ship departs before I contact the guest services.

So I spend a few hours outside on the deck and inside the ship looking around, which by the way the inside of the ship was cold. Thank God it got much better after we departed, my cabin was fine, but still not as cold as it was all those years that I have sailed in the past. But it was comfortable enough for me to have a nice vacation.

I am going on Conquest in November and just hoping and praying that my room will be comfortable air wise.

We have cruised on the Magic the past two summers. We have had ocean view rooms right down the hall from each other. We had 1300 last summer (2013) and 1330 (2014) this past year. This summer our room was pleasant during the day, but felt noticeably warmer at night. This was not the case a year ago.

Just off the Sunshine and every time our cabin was cleaned we came back to a freezing room. My husband liked it. A/C was on high. I turned it down two notches and it was perfect for me. We learned quickly if you prop the door open the a/c shuts off and the mirrors fog from humidity. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience is 6 Carnival cruises on 5 different Carnival ships so far this year, and millions of other passengers agree with me.

I believe that was the subject. Call it compaining if you must but I prefer to think of it as a thread that might rectify an on going problem for many..Simply would like some kind of resolution NOT compensation.

Please feel free to post all the good experiences with cabin room temps to balance this one out if you wish.

Actually I believe the op was looking for everyone's experience (please see the last sentence of the post). Reading 101 class starts soon. I was giving my experience you can give yours. I don't think there is anything that needs resolving and certainly not anything that needs to be compensated for. When exactly did you sail and have higher temps? I love how a post saying that they are saving with more efficient A/C it turns to cost cutting, making their clients uncomfortable.

Edited by jimbo5544

Just off the Sunshine and every time our cabin was cleaned we came back to a freezing room. My husband liked it. A/C was on high. I turned it down two notches and it was perfect for me. We learned quickly if you prop the door open the a/c shuts off and the mirrors fog from humidity. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately there are some who think the a/c is powerful enough to reverse global warming. It isn't. At least you were a quick study. :D

People who do prop the door open not only raise the humidity in their cabin, but also in the hall around their cabin and make the system work that much harder than it needs to.

Out of 13 CCL cruises we had one cruise that was so hot we couldn't stay in the room. Was told the temp was in their guide lines. We felt like we had taken a trip to hell that week. No offer of a fan. No I am sorry.

I don't find 82 or more to be comfortable. I can tell you right now I want be cruising on any ship that calls that exceptable.

However, in an attempt to lower their energy bills, do you think that Carnival is turning up the temperatures in both the cabins and common areas on their ships? What has been you experience?

Yes in the cabins areas, not so much in common areas. Our experience has been we almost roasted and no longer cruise with Carnival. Keep watching the boards hoping to see it has changed.

Out of 13 CCL cruises we had one cruise that was so hot we couldn't stay in the room. Was told the temp was in their guide lines. We felt like we had taken a trip to hell that week. No offer of a fan. No I am sorry.

I don't find 82 or more to be comfortable. I can tell you right now I want be cruising on any ship that calls that exceptable.

82 would be unacceptable, assuming the balcony door remained closed.

82 would be unacceptable, assuming the balcony door remained closed.

Ok, so you have a few cruises under your belt this year and you may tolerate warm rooms more than other people.

But why are you discounting other people's experiences? On my cruise two weeks ago, we were warm. Much warmer in our room than any of our previous cruises over the past ten years.

Did it upset us? No. But yes, there has been a difference lately on CCL. Let's not pretend there is not just because you may not feel it. :rolleyes:

With a room temperature hotter than you're accustomed to and "so hot [you] couldn't stay in the room," not being offered a fan or an apology and being informed it was in their guidelines, why would you accept those conditions?

Ok, so you have a few cruises under your belt this year and you may tolerate warm rooms more than other people.

But why are you discounting other people's experiences? On my cruise two weeks ago, we were warm. Much warmer in our room than any of our previous cruises over the past ten years.

Did it upset us? No. But yes, there has been a difference lately on CCL. Let's not pretend there is not just because you may not feel it. :rolleyes:

I am not discounting other people's experiences. I am discounting the conspiracy theorists. There will always be rooms that are warmer than normal and ones that are colder. It is incredibly difficult to balance all the zones of the ship so that everything is at the same temperature. Especially when during the day part of the ship is in direct sun and part isn't.

Why do those who experience a warm cabin discount those who say they have not experienced a warm cabin?