Cutting Air-Conditioning to Save Fuel Costs

stevenr597

We don't use A/C up north in the wintertime.......

We are in CT and that is what we set our A/C at in the summertime.

Yes, Jimbo, I'm aware. I spent many years living up north. I was agreeing with a previous poster, EZ4, that 78 degrees is not that comfortable. We keep ours at 68-72 year-round. Even with living in Florida, 78 when indoors is too hot for me, yet I'm sure I put on a jacket at a much warmer temperature than you would. ;)

Edited by Disconnections

does your A/C even come on at 78 Jim? lol

73 degrees for a/c here in Philly and 71 for the heater.

Bill

Not all that often;), but yes..... When its on I think of that meter outside spinning like crazy. We happen to have the most expensive electric utility in the country.

Yes, Jimbo, I'm aware. I spent many years living up north. I was agreeing with a previous poster, EZ4, that 78 degrees is not that comfortable. We keep ours at 68-72 year-round. Even with living in Florida, 78 when indoors is too hot for me, yet I'm sure I put on a jacket at a much warmer temperature than you would. ;)
I knew you knew, just trying to add a little levity.:D

Having been on 5 trips, 3 different CCL ships this year I've only had one room that didn't cool properly. I called maintenance twice. On the third call I realized I was giving them my previous deck with current number! No wonder they couldn't fix it, LOL. On a serious note, I finally got cabin and deck correct but I think by this time they were tired of hearing from me. Never did get it cool enough that one time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question (it was not really a question but I'm on a roll), all I can say is that the Spirit had heat when we sailed her in Alaska.

Many ships have heat on the A/C system year round. Given the high humidity at sea, the A/C generally chills the air to around 50, and then reheats it to 55-58 for delivery. This reduces the humidity below normal for the 55-58 degree air.

I don't want to say our room was hot, but 2 Hobbits came by and threw a ring into it. :D

Too funny! This made my DH laugh out loud, which is a much needed distraction seeing as now he is preoccupied with the possibility of having a hot cabin on the Splendor next week.

What exactly are Carnival's temp guidelines? We are going on the Dream this month and can't handle a warm room. Thanks.

I think whatever your temp is, is their guideline. 82 was ok with the,. It is the humidity that makes it even worse.

We are booked on the dream and I have read a lot of negative about the ac.

Our last few cruises we have noticed that the cabin gets to warm in the middle of the night. We have also been experiencing lower water pressure than what it used to be. These are area's that they shouldn't cut back on in my opinion. I personally like a good shower and a cool cabin at night.

I'm not sure if they are actually doing it or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. When a company can cut corners to save money they will generally try to do it.

I know my sailing is over a year away from now but if I experience uncomfortable room temps that just can't be controlled then I probably will hesitate to cruise with Carnival again until it's resolved.

I'm one of those people who gets REALLY hot when they sleep and is super sensitive to hot temperatures (although I don't mind dealing with it at port and at other times, I can't compromise during sleep, HAS to be cold).

I do hope this won't be an issue for us...but it may seem silly but it would be a deal breaker for us if we did face these issues.

Our house is set at 67, 365 days a year. Carnival has never been cold enough.

How some of you manage to get their homes that cool is beyond me - A/C systems aren't designed to cool the inside of a home more than 20 degrees below outdoor temperature. Sure, some will do it, but that is exceeding the design parameters of the equipment.

How some of you manage to get their homes that cool is beyond me - A/C systems aren't designed to cool the inside of a home more than 20 degrees below outdoor temperature. Sure, some will do it, but that is exceeding the design parameters of the equipment.

I live in SC and have a 4 ton A/C which keeps my house cool all summer.

I thought that I read something on cruise critic about a person who said you can take the vent off and it helps, or something like that. Also something about the maintenance person CAN do something to make it cooler, if you slip him a tip. I am not sure exactly what it was. Does anyone know a way to make it cooler if maintenance says there is nothing wrong with it?

It all depends on the equipment, if you have multiple zones and units, if the filters are clean and where the intake is coming from. The cooler the air is at the intake point the less it has to cool. If it's pulling in 100 heat then it will only be able to cool so much. If it's pulling it through the cold air return it can take it down much lower.

I have a three zone system in my house and three compressors. I have no problem cooling the house to 70, if it's 95 outside. I actually use less electricity with three systems than I did with two.

Take care,

Mike

If what people are saying is true then Carnival better fix this problem and fast. I'm sorry I'm a big Carnival fan but I am in no way going to go on vacation to be hot and miserable while relaxing in my cabin. I think passengers have put up with enough of the cutbacks as it is from all of the cruise lines. I guess if it keeps up it will be land vacations for my family. Sweating while trying to sleep is where I draw the line. :(