3 days Pre-Cruise

travellovers2

There are many discussions here about getting from FCO to Civi. Private transfers, bus, train are commonly mentioned. One or two of the hotels have arrangements for transport. Take a look around the board.

Probably most won't say there is 3 days worth of activities around Civi, but that would depend on your interests and activity levels. You will be most likely venturing outside of Civi.

Civitavecchia is a pokey and not-very-charming town. I wouldn't be able to find three days' worth of things to do there. If you are willing to expand your horizons to nearby places like Tarquinia, you may find some things to do that are more worthwhile...

Thank you for your recommendation of RomeCabs. We have used them twice before, I guess we can use them again since this will not be a 3 day town. We have been to Bracchiano, Ceri and the Etruscan tombs. We will look at Tarquinia.

Maybe we can use Civi as our base to stay and book tours out? We would love to visit Orvieto again. Is it possible to take a train there and back from Civi or best to use a private tour to take us around?

We are in the same situation having stayed in Rome for three holidays we have decided to stay in Santa Marinella before our cruise this time as we did spend a day in Civi when it was one of our port stops and did not find anything there that we particularly want to go back to. Not sure there is much at Santa Marinella but it will make a change

There is a lot more to Italy then Rome and Civitavecchia😊 Why not just rent a car at FCO and explore some of the region. Perhaps drive to Tivoli for a night and then over to Orvieto for a couple of nights. Then on to Civitavecchia to drop the car and get on your ship. We could probably develop 100s of possibilities for 3 days.

Hank

Are you talking about being in the Rome area or Naples?

Hank

Moi? not sure yet. We'll look at the dates tonight and see if it makes more sense to add some time at the end rather than the beginning. If it's at the end it's Spain not Italy. Having to work sucks :)

:eek:

Moi? not sure yet. We'll look at the dates tonight and see if it makes more sense to add some time at the end rather than the beginning. If it's at the end it's Spain not Italy. Having to work sucks :)

Let's see... three days in Barcelona or three days in Civitavecchia?

That's a no-brainer - Barcelona.

:eek:

Let's see... three days in Barcelona or three days in Civitavecchia?

That's a no-brainer - Barcelona.

Oh, I sure as hell wouldn’t have spent three days in Civitavecchia. We were originally looking at Positano but have done that. Milan or Lake Como are contenders. And if we pick Spain it would probably be Seville or San Sebastián.

Tracy..... fancy meeting you here! Looks like you and Bernie are still globe trotting:). Where are you going on this trip?

My cousin and I booked a Med cruise for May 2019 so here I am again doing research. I hadn’t been on this site for a few years.

Anne

Tracy..... fancy meeting you here! Looks like you and Bernie are still globe trotting:). Where are you going on this trip?

My cousin and I booked a Med cruise for May 2019 so here I am again doing research. I hadn’t been on this site for a few years.

Anne

Hey stranger, how’s it going? Haven’t talked to you in ages. Which cruise did you book in May? We’re on Connie, May 2nd.

We arrive in FCO 3 days before our cruise. We do not wan to go to Rome, so we thought about going straight to Civitavecchia. How do we get there from FCO? Is there enough to do for 3 days? Thank you for your help! :D

What about 2 nights in the Florence/Tuscany area???

We would love to stay in the Tuscany area for a couple of days, but how easy would it be to get there from FCO and back to Civitavecchia for the cruise?

Ahhh, now that is a good question. You would have two options which are using the trains or renting a car. In this case a rental car is a great option since you not only have your transportation to Florence (or some other part of Tuscany) but also have the means to explore the countryside outside the cities. It takes about 3:15 to drive between Civitavecchia and Florence...but that drive is best done with some intervening stops such as at Orvieto and perhaps San Gimignano.

The train is also a good option, especially if your goal is to simply spend time in Florence. The most common train route involves changing trains in Rome and the journey will normally take less than 3 hours (one way). Just keep in mind that using the trains does involve some walking (with luggage) including having to negotiate steps (in Civitavecchia's Train station) where you will need to be able to handle your luggage.

Regarding rental cars, there are several agencies in Civitavecchia including Hertz and Europcar. But the best rental car prices will generally get you a car with a manual shift. If one must have an automatic, make sure to reserve long in advance and specify that type of car.

Hank

We have been to Florence, Pisa, Siena and St Gimigniano. We would love to go back to Siena for a couple of days, but driving is not an option we like, especially with only 3 days.

So the only option is to take a train to termini and from there take a train to Siena and back again to termini and then to Civitavecchia?

Isn’t there a town close to Civitavecchia worth visiting for a couple of days ?

You can take the train from Civi to Orbetello at the base of the Argentario peninsula. It takes 1 hour. From the station take a taxi to either Porto Santo Stefano or Porto Ercole. Beautiful places to stay for a couple of nights. Wonderful views right on the sea. This is Tuscany on the sea.

Or rent a car for a really easy drive there. Plus, you will have the car to explore the Argentario peninsula.

Edited by marazul

We have been to Florence, Pisa, Siena and St Gimigniano. We would love to go back to Siena for a couple of days, but driving is not an option we like, especially with only 3 days.

So the only option is to take a train to termini and from there take a train to Siena and back again to termini and then to Civitavecchia?

There is nothing really close to Civitavecchia where we would want to spend 2 days. But if you travel a little distance you could go to Tivoli (this is on the other side of Rome). Orvieto is also a nice town but not sure we would want to be stuck there for 2 days.

Hank

Hey stranger, how’s it going? Haven’t talked to you in ages. Which cruise did you book in May? We’re on Connie, May 2nd.

My cousin and I are on NCL Star Med cruise May 12th. Barcelona to Venice...sound familiar? My friends and I did a cruise around the Hawaiian islands last fall and really liked NCL. We’re doing an Alaskan cruise in September with them too. I was pleasantly surprised..... never considered NCL before. I hope this next cruise is as good as the last one. Jim and I haven’t been able to do much traveling. I’ve had back problems that limited my traveling.

We just started researching hotels and tour companies. I signed up for the roll call and hope to share tour costs.

Say hi to Bernie! Hope both of you are doing well!