anyone recently visited Rome from Civitavecchia Train Station....

Kennycapes

How long did it take to get to the station from the Port?

i've read 20 mins but some of these reports are a little old.

I am looking to get off atCivitavecchia and get the train.

Anyone know what Berth the Ship will dock off at.

Many thanks

There are different kinds of trains from CV to Rome. Some local, some more express (fewer stops). There are also several stations in Rome where you can get off the train. So there's no simple answer. We took a local to S. Pietro last year and it was about an hour.

There are different kinds of trains from CV to Rome. Some local, some more express (fewer stops). There are also several stations in Rome where you can get off the train. So there's no simple answer. We took a local to S. Pietro last year and it was about an hour.

Cheers Bob,

we are looking at S. Pietro and a local train too.

i'm trying to get my timelines right working backwards and im keen to know how long it took at the point of leaving the ship and getting to the station. (by foot)

Cheers Bob,

we are looking at S. Pietro and a local train too.

i'm trying to get my timelines right working backwards and im keen to know how long it took at the point of leaving the ship and getting to the station. (by foot)

They have changed the port gate a few years ago. It is now the furthest side of town from the train station.

To walk I would say 25 minutes now straight through town.

There is a local bus that runs a shuttle for a small sum.

IMG_7034-L.jpg

At the train station instead of waiting in line for a ticket at the ticket booth you can also buy tickets at the newsagents in the station.

Remember to validate your ticket in the little box (yellow?) on the platform otherwise you will get a fine.

They have changed the port gate a few years ago. It is now the furthest side of town from the train station.

IMG_7034-L.jpg

At the train station instead of waiting in line for a ticket at the ticket booth you can also buy tickets at the newsagents in the station.

Remember to validate your ticket in the little box (yellow?) on the platform otherwise you will get a fine.

Thank you so much, will add this to my plan

I've been looking at the port web site and i must admit it is rather confusing. I can see there is a bus that runs to pick people up but there are lots of stops in and around the port and im not sure which one i should get off at to walk to train station.

There is an "Ordinary Service" and a "cruise service". see below from their website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

CRUISE SERVICE

Cruise passenger can use a shuttle bus service connecting piers directly to Largo della Pace Service Center to facilitate embarking and disembarking. The service is planned and works in synch with the arrival of ships, as follows:

LINE A (green line)*

For all cruise passengers who embark/disemabark at piers 10 to 13, the new route includes the following stops:

Cruise Terminal | Bramante (hop off only) | Largo della Pace | Molo del Bicchiere (hop on only)

LINE B (light blue line)*

Intermediate shuttle bus stops are not established for cruise passengers embarking/disembarking at pier 25. This means that cruise passengers are picked up, as soon as they get to the quay, and taken directly to Largo della Pace. Vice versa for the way back.

*Timetables are synched with the arrival of ships. The stop Bramante (hop off only) works only from 11.30 am to 2.30 pm. The connection between Largo della Pace and Pier 25 works only when cruise ships arrive.

IMG_7034-L.jpg

I think the best deal is a BRIG ticket it covers all the public transportation in Rome plus your round trip.

Thank you so much, will add this to my plan

Have a look at toms port guides on line. Best free guide I have come across. Walk into train via promenade in cittachevecia lovely but no shade if hot. if all walkers fit you should do it in 15 to 25 mins depending on where ship berthed.

I think the best deal is a BRIG ticket it covers all the public transportation in Rome plus your round trip.

agreed, thats what im going for.

just need to be sure how i move around the port and get to the station.

I was there in March this year and it is back to it's old spot near the fort.

Free shuttle to the port entrance and then pleasant 5- 10 min walk along the seafront to the station.

Might cause some confusion, the name of the ticket is BIRG. Another restriction is that the BIRG does not cover express trains.

Maryann is correct - we were there in April, the shuttle from the ship now stops at a new base right beside the fort. The walk to the station is less than 10 minutes now.

It's a lot easier than it was last time we were there in 2014.

Maryann is correct - we were there in April, the shuttle from the ship now stops at a new base right beside the fort. The walk to the station is less than 10 minutes now.

It's a lot easier than it was last time we were there in 2014.

Thanks for the update. That's great news.

Might cause some confusion, the name of the ticket is BIRG. Another restriction is that the BIRG does not cover express trains.

I've been looking at transportation from the port to Rome, to the Vatican, then back to the train station to pick up luggage and get to the airport. Our flight out isn't until 8:30 PM. Can you tell me how the BIRG ticket works and what it covers? I've read the information on a couple of websites and am still confused. I saw that it costs 12 euros but that there's also a 1.50 euros cost for each use? Just very confused. Thanks to anyone that can help!

I've been looking at transportation from the port to Rome, to the Vatican, then back to the train station to pick up luggage and get to the airport. Our flight out isn't until 8:30 PM. Can you tell me how the BIRG ticket works and what it covers? I've read the information on a couple of websites and am still confused. I saw that it costs 12 euros but that there's also a 1.50 euros cost for each use? Just very confused. Thanks to anyone that can help!

The BIRG ticket covers unlimited local trains between Civitavecchia and the train stations in Rome. It also covers unlimited bus and metro trips in Rome. It works for 24 hours from the time you validate it. There is no extra 1.5 Euros per use.

The BIRG ticket covers unlimited local trains between Civitavecchia and the train stations in Rome. It also covers unlimited bus and metro trips in Rome. It works for 24 hours from the time you validate it. There is no extra 1.5 Euros per use.

Thanks for much, Clarea!!!

Free shuttle to the port entrance and then pleasant 5- 10 min walk along the seafront to the station.

I might add that, while I 100% agree with you, there were plenty of people who were bitterly complaining about it because their luggage was highly uncooperative.

My wife and I only buy/use luggage that can handle uneven roads, sidewalks, weird crosswalks, etc. So we're great with it. Strong and effective handles with smooth wheels is the way to go.

If you use bags that aren't good for that... you might be in pain.

Oh bother...we have booked a hotel near the old (new) gate... I wonder if this is a permanent change or whether I should move to a hotel at the station /fort end of town....

Do you know if they utilise the old (new) gate any more ...I would expect a lot of people would go there and expect to find the shuttles that have been in operation for the past few years?

I might add that, while I 100% agree with you, there were plenty of people who were bitterly complaining about it because their luggage was highly uncooperative.

My wife and I only buy/use luggage that can handle uneven roads, sidewalks, weird crosswalks, etc. So we're great with it. Strong and effective handles with smooth wheels is the way to go.

If you use bags that aren't good for that... you might be in pain.

Don't forget the tunnel at the train station. Lots of steps!

Oh bother...we have booked a hotel near the old (new) gate... I wonder if this is a permanent change or whether I should move to a hotel at the station /fort end of town....

Do you know if they utilise the old (new) gate any more ...I would expect a lot of people would go there and expect to find the shuttles that have been in operation for the past few years?

Yes this is a permanent change. The whole area around the fort has been renovated, lots of places for coaches to park. Really looks nice. The port shuttles only drop off and pick up here.

Don't forget the tunnel at the train station. Lots of steps!

I agree. Too many steps down to the tunnel and up again to the platform. Fine without luggage.

There is a bus transfer which goes from the port entrance to the airport and then to Termini. Just once a day, 20 euros.

I have used them and very easy to do..

Bus Transfer FROM Port TO FCO Airport, continues to Termini

Edited by maryann2

LOTS OF MIS-INFORMATION!!

Beware, there is a lot of misinformation that has been given on this thread.

The best site to check for information related to getting around the Port of Civitavecchia, including how to get from the port to the train station is the official site, which is here:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/how-get-port-civitavecchia-definitive-guide

If you navigate around the site you'll find a lot of good information on how to get from your ship to the port entrance (generally best to take the free port shuttle unless you are one of the lucky few with a closer berth). And also how to walk or take the local Argo bus (2 euro per person) to the train station. Walking takes about 25 minutes without luggage.

The official port entrance has NOT moved back to its old location near Fort Michelangelo. It is located at Largo della Pace, which is the new pickup/dropoff area that was created several years ago. Some port shuttle still pick up and drop off at a spot near the Fort, but this is primarily for ferry passengers.

Here is a link to a helpful map of the port area from the site I mentioned above:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/sites/default/files/file_uploads/map_of_port_of_civitavecchia_eng_1465288193.jpg

You'll see that Fort Michelangelo is #1 on the map, while Largo della Pace is near the center, where there is a large "i" in a blue circle and the cruise shuttle is located.