NCL Internet Package

zdub86

I have a question about the NCL internet package. On their website the only description I see is: "

The time plan gives you 100 minutes of internet connectivity. Save $3.95 USDActivation Fee when you book online."

Can anyone please verify if that's just solely internet connection? Or do you also get cell service for phone calls and text with that? There is hardly any information regarding this on the NCL website.

Thanks in advance.

They don't :) That you should get from your cell phone service provider (some kind of "out of country" package). But you could always whatsapp or Skype video them via wifi. Just make sure you have wifi on only to avoid roaming costs if for some reason your phone would still try to use mobile data.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don't :) That you should get from your cell phone service provider (some kind of "out of country" package). But you could always whatsapp or Skype video them via wifi. Just make sure you have wifi on only to avoid roaming costs if for some reason your phone would still try to use mobile data.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay thanks for this info. So with the NCL internet package I would get their wifi which would give me access to video chat apps like Skype, Tango, and Facebook messenger?

Hello,

I just got back this week from a 10 day Med. cruise I paid for the unlimited wifi connection due to work and being able to communicate with my Mom. The NCL rep told me they do not allowing streaming like to Nexflix or Skype but Whatsapp does work.

The 3.95 charge is a one time charge.

I used my ipad in the cabin and out by the pool, I downloaded Whatsapp and would call my Mom every other day by logging into their wifi then using Whatsapp to make a call or text.

Hope that helps you.

I have a question about the NCL internet package. On their website the only description I see is: "

The time plan gives you 100 minutes of internet connectivity. Save $3.95 USDActivation Fee when you book online."

Can anyone please verify if that's just solely internet connection? Or do you also get cell service for phone calls and text with that? There is hardly any information regarding this on the NCL website.

Thanks in advance.

The phone in my room said "call your family from your cabin $4.99 per minute"

I would get the wifi however much you'll think you'll use

then have everyone down load Whatsapp

you log onto the wifi and you can make calls from Whatsapp.

Try it from home before you leave that is what my Mom and I did. You can also text and send pics from Whatsapp

I also bought a sim card in Rome and put that in my

iphone, so I could call the tour operators in Italy and Greece

and it came with 4GB of data.

But I was really happy with the Whatsapp app

Ok thanks for clarifying. I guess that leads me to my next question...

Does NCL offer any kind of cell phone package? Basically we are wanting to call our kids a few times while we are gone for 7 days.

Hello,

I just got back this week from a 10 day Med. cruise I paid for the unlimited wifi connection due to work and being able to communicate with my Mom. The NCL rep told me they do not allowing streaming like to Nexflix or Skype but Whatsapp does work.

The 3.95 charge is a one time charge.

I used my ipad in the cabin and out by the pool, I downloaded Whatsapp and would call my Mom every other day by logging into their wifi then using Whatsapp to make a call or text.

Hope that helps you.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost for a 10 day unlimited pkg. I am sailing for 10 days in 7 weeks and will need that pkg also. TIA

On the ship, you can call using your cell phone for $250 (or is $2.99) a minute. No plan available or needed. Doing that ship $4.99 a minute seems dumb.

From many countries around the world, you can get discounted plans from your carrier. ATT and Verizon now have a $10 a day unlimited plan.

To text or use any internet type thing on the ship, you need to connect to the internet via the ships wifi. Per minute charges apply.

Just note the ship internet isn’t very fast at sea - things like Skype or WiFi calling are likely not going to work.

If you and the people you want to communicate with both have iPhones, then iMessage will work just fine. Otherwise, as already mentioned, WhatsApp will work just fine.

If you want to make phone calls wait until you are at port - either use free WiFi at a restaurant, store, Starbucks, etc or the cell carrier probably has provisions for international calling that will be much more affordable than calling from the ship.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I guess that leads me to my next question...

Does NCL offer any kind of cell phone package? Basically we are wanting to call our kids a few times while we are gone for 7 days.

Do you by chance have a Magic Jack phone number? If not, very low cost for 1 year and useful on land/sea. While using internet you can tap into the Magic Jack and make phone calls without charge.

So if our sole intention is to make a few phone calls to home during a 7 day cruise (texting isn't important, neither is surfing the internet or Facebook etc.) then what would be the most affordable way to do that...

1. Purchase the $75 internet package from NCL and use Whatsapp to make phone calls.

OR

2. Contact AT&T to see how much it would be to get an international roaming data plan to use during the cruise. For this option, would it be a flat rate price? Or would they charge by the minute for this? Also, would we be able to make calls using AT&T while at sea? Or only while at port?

Thanks for the great info so far.

....Contact AT&T to see how much it would be to get an international roaming data plan to use during the cruise. For this option, would it be a flat rate price? Or would they charge by the minute for this? Also, would we be able to make calls using AT&T while at sea? Or only while at port?

Thanks for the great info so far.

As mentioned earlier. AT&T does not have any plans while onboard. You pay the $2.50 a minute if somebody calls you or you call them.

In most countries, AT&T has an unlimited voice and data plan for $10 a day. You only pay the $10 on the days you actually make a call or use data.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost for a 10 day unlimited pkg. I am sailing for 10 days in 7 weeks and will need that pkg also. TIA

Unlimited is usually $29.99 x # of days, so for a 10 day cruise that would be $299.90 + a onetime setup fee of $3.95

Unlimited for my 10 day Med. cruise was $299

And I used it a lot. It was pretty fast but I noticed once we all got back on the ship, "all aboard" time it seemed much slower

I guess everyone would come back on and use their wifi then go eat. But overall it worked good.

Can you share the internet package between devices as long as you're only using it on one device at a time? I've done that on other cruise lines, you could log off on one device and then log in on another. Thanks in advance....

-- Kevin

With my Sprint plan I can call anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world free. Texting is free as well worldwide. INCOMING texts are 25¢ each when outside North America. I use my phone on the ship exactly as would anywhere else. Moral of the story, no one can answer these questions for you fully. You need to talk to your cell provider and see what all is included in your plan.

Your experience is totally different than what the Sprint website says. It indicated $2.99 a minute.

I know for sure my global ATT plan does not include at sea either.

So just to verify... to be able to use the ship's WiFi I have to pay the $75 for 100 minutes and whatsapp would work fine with the WiFi? I just installed whatsapp on my phone and we tested it out at home. Very easy to use and seems like it would work out great. Calling and texting worked just fine here at home with whatsapp.

Can you share the internet package between devices as long as you're only using it on one device at a time? I've done that on other cruise lines, you could log off on one device and then log in on another. Thanks in advance....

-- Kevin

Is this true for NCL? When I placed the internet package in my shopping cart on their website it asked for which person it's for. $75 per person. So how could we both use it? Would we need to give them both of our phone numbers?

Yes but you'll be limited to those 100 minutes because you have to be online to use Whatsapp.

If you think 100 mins. is enough for you, you'll be fine

So just to verify... to be able to use the ship's WiFi I have to pay the $75 for 100 minutes and whatsapp would work fine with the WiFi? I just installed whatsapp on my phone and we tested it out at home. Very easy to use and seems like it would work out great. Calling and texting worked just fine here at home with whatsapp.

Ok thanks. I don't think we will get close to using 100 minutes so we should be fine.

Does it count the minutes the entire time while you're connected to the WiFi even if you aren't using it at the time? If so, it would be best to disconnect from the WiFi when not using whatsapp, correct?

NCL has a portal or website you have to log onto the web from and they count each minute your on there.

So if your finished talking via Whatsapp you need to hang up with your caller then go back to the portal and disconnect from the wifi.

Ok thanks. I don't think we will get close to using 100 minutes so we should be fine.

Does it count the minutes the entire time while you're connected to the WiFi even if you aren't using it at the time? If so, it would be best to disconnect from the WiFi when not using whatsapp, correct?

NCL has a portal or website you have to log onto the web from and they count each minute your on there.

So if your finished talking via Whatsapp you need to hang up with your caller then go back to the portal and disconnect from the wifi.

Perfect, thanks!