Tracy Arm..... We made it.

masterty

We were on the Star in June of 2012 and only got to Sawyer island as there was too much ice. This year we're going this coming Sunday on the Grand. We booked the Tracy Arm excursion so we could get up close and personal :)

Nice pic! We did Tracy Arm last July and got to tge very end right next to Sawyer. We also didn't realize at the time that we were so lucky. We'd done Glacier Bay the year before and went all the way and spent almost an hour right next to Marjorie Glacier so just assumed every cruise got to the end of Tracy Arm.

Congrats on your great experience! Maybe we should start a "we made it to Sawyer" club... :- )

It's amazingly beautiful, isn't it? Not just the glacier itself, but the whole magical sail up the Arm is just breathtaking, with views all around.

We were on the May 18th sailing of HAL Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary, and we got right up close and personal with the glacier as well. Spectacular day that won't be soon forgotten. The odd thing was that the very next day was Juneau for us, and I had - with great anticipation - booked the small boat TA excursion thru Allen Marine. Unfortunately, we were unable to get close to the glacier at all - just one day later (and in a small boat, no less!) due to ice pack. Our all-female crew told us that the amount of ice pack from day to day changes due to tides, calving, etc. so they were not surprised at all. For me it was quite anti-climatic after the proximity we experienced the day before. I'm probably the only person in Alaska cruising history who was a bit disappointed with the small boat TA excursion simply because of this:o. Oh well, wasn't for lack of trying, and I've gotten it out of my system now after four prior visits to Juneau over the years.

Happy for you that you got to experience TA and the glacier in all its glory!

We are considering an excursion with Allen Marine to see Tracy Arm. How long is the excursion? We are in Juneau until 4pm, so I wasn't sure if we have enough time.

Are you talking about the excursion that leaves the ship while in Tracy Arm and returns you to Juneau to meet the ship?

Are you talking about the excursion that leaves the ship while in Tracy Arm and returns you to Juneau to meet the ship?

We are arriving on the Crown Princess in Juneau at 7:30am. Our cruise ship leaves the port at 4pm. We are looking into a tour of Tracy Arm with Allen Marine during our time in the port.

We are considering an excursion with Allen Marine to see Tracy Arm. How long is the excursion? We are in Juneau until 4pm, so I wasn't sure if we have enough time.

If you are talking about the round trip excursion from Juneau, it takes about 7 hours. Often one can book a ship excursion which drops people off at the entrance to Tracy Arm. You just use the tender access to get to the smaller boat. I believe that excursion takes about 5-6 hours.

If you are talking about the round trip excursion from Juneau, it takes about 7 hours. Often one can book a ship excursion which drops people off at the entrance to Tracy Arm. You just use the tender access to get to the smaller boat. I believe that excursion takes about 5-6 hours.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there were two options. Our ship doesn't offer the excursion, so we were looking into it on our own.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there were two options. Our ship doesn't offer the excursion, so we were looking into it on our own.

If that's the case, then I think your only option is the round trip from Juneau. I could be wrong about that and hopefully someone will correct me, if I am. I just doubt that the ship would allow pax to use the tender access if there isn't any money in it for them!

Make sure you will have enough time in port. I recommend 9 hours. I was with AIP who posted earlier about her experience. We stopped a few times en route to watch whales. The crew did respect the time that the pax had so you should make it back in time. I just wouldn't push it.

Just reread your post and saw you have about 8.5 hours. Talk to Allen Marine. They will advise you if you have enough time to do the excursion. You probably do but you won't be able to see much, if anything, in Juneau.

Edited by Alberta Quilter