Deciding between Hampton Inn Brickell and Intercontinental

CruzCrazy

We are cruising on the Breeze out of Miami in July and will be flying in the day before. We probably won't arrive until late afternoon, and we are currently trying to decide between the Intercontinental and the Hampton Inn Brickell.

We already know about the Hampton since we've stayed there 3 times. We like the location and like being able to walk around and shop and get a bite to eat in the evening. I like the convenience of the breakfast that is included, but DH is not a fan of the food. Every time we go past the Intercontinental on the way to the port, he always says, "We should stay there next time." I know that lots of people here on CC like the IC, so I'm thinking about it.

I've read lots of Trip Advisor reviews and know that Hampton is still ranked #1 on TA, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has stayed at both the Hampton and IC and can give me the low-down.

It's just the 2 of us, and we'd probably book a room with a view of the bay if we stayed at the IC. I know it's close to Bayside, so we could just walk over there and find something for dinner.

My questions regarding the IC:

I understand they don't have shuttle service to the port, and I was wondering how easy (or difficult) it is to get a taxi on a Sunday morning when lots of people are trying to do the same. We like to get over to the port kind of early, and we generally try to leave around 10:30 a.m.

Also, does the IC have a restaurant that serves a full breakfast (like cooked-to-order bacon and eggs)?

I've read the IC has a restaurant/bar area and was wondering if there is usually anything much going on, or if it's just the occasional guest wandering in for a drink (like at the Hampton).

Thanks for any insight.

Oh, and just to muddy the water, I was kind of honing in on the IC because we've been past it so often and know the exact location and that it gets good reviews, but I was also looking at the Conrad and the Marriott Marquis, so if anyone has anything to add about either of those properties, I'd be interested. Thanks again.

Can't give you any experienced help on Intercontinental, but if it were me I'd go with the best price point. If you chose the IC, to get to Bayside Market Place, where there are some nice restaurants as well as chain places, You have to walk through Bayside Park, which isn't always lit at night and pan handlers do venture out. It's not far though. There's not a lot else going on in that section of Miami outside of Bayside. Restaurant in the IC is a Cuban style, and just so-so food wise from what I hear and on the pricy side. There's a better Cuban in Bayside. But I think the IC restaurant has a Sunday brunch, so may have a full breakfast menu.

Taxis should be plentiful when it's time to leave.

The Conrad!! OMG by far it is nicer than the IC, Hampton Inn! The Marriott Marquis is a very close second.

By far the Viceroy is my favorite. The 15th Floor pool deck is off the chart amazing. Three pools and one of them is 300 feet long.

Hello Lisa,

My family is sailing Ms. Breeze July 18, 2015 and we just got a great deal thru betterbidding site for the EB Hotel. It looks fabulous, too. Enjoy your cruise! Let us know what you decide.

Sam

Edited by Engineerstar

The Conrad!! OMG by far it is nicer than the IC, Hampton Inn! The Marriott Marquis is a very close second.

By far the Viceroy is my favorite. The 15th Floor pool deck is off the chart amazing. Three pools and one of them is 300 feet long.

Couldn't agree more about the Conrad! Plus the location is better at night than the IC.

Can't give you any experienced help on Intercontinental, but if it were me I'd go with the best price point. If you chose the IC, to get to Bayside Market Place, where there are some nice restaurants as well as chain places, You have to walk through Bayside Park, which isn't always lit at night and pan handlers do venture out. It's not far though. There's not a lot else going on in that section of Miami outside of Bayside. Restaurant in the IC is a Cuban style, and just so-so food wise from what I hear and on the pricy side. There's a better Cuban in Bayside. But I think the IC restaurant has a Sunday brunch, so may have a full breakfast menu.

Taxis should be plentiful when it's time to leave.

Toro Toro at the IC isn't actually a Cuban Restaurant, it's Latin and highly rated. It's very different than the cuban restaurant over at Bayside, more fine dining. It does have a brunch on Sundays.

Ole is the restaurant for breakfast here and there is also a starbucks.

Chiming in with similar questions if anyone doesn't mind...

What does the Conrad have as far as dining options. Anything nearby for dinner?What about for breakfast, I know IC has a Starbucks which works for our quick and easy breakfast idea.

Same questions for Hampton Inn...

I am interested in the IC but the bookings haven't opened up yet so I am still doing some research and seeing what everything costs and what I can get for my money. Last time we stayed at the Holiday Inn. We are IHG club Members so we got a really nice corner, bay facing room and I was happy with the hotel. Although, my top choice had been the IC. But, by the time we booked the cruise we realized after we booked it was the weekend of the marathon and pretty much everything was sold out :(

What does the Conrad have as far as dining options. Anything nearby for dinner?What about for breakfast, I know IC has a Starbucks which works for our quick and easy breakfast idea.

I am interested in the IC but the bookings haven't opened up yet so I am still doing some research and seeing what everything costs and what I can get for my money. Last time we stayed at the Holiday Inn. We are IHG club Members so we got a really nice corner, bay facing room and I was happy with the hotel. Although, my top choice had been the IC. But, by the time we booked the cruise we realized after we booked it was the weekend of the marathon and pretty much everything was sold out :(

I'm the OP, and we've stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell 3 times, with the last time being Dec. 2013, which was the last time we cruised out of Miami. The Hampton Inn's breakfast is buffet style, and I like it. They have hot items (scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes--depending on the day) along with pastries, muffins, and a waffle maker, etc. There are juice machines and coffee, of course. It's complimentary and very busy, of course. I think it's one of the better breakfasts that you don't pay extra for at a hotel/motel chain. I think Embassy Suites' breakfast is maybe just a little bit better but not much. There is not an Embassy Suites close to the port in Miami as far as I am aware (we've stayed at the one in Ft. Lauderdale).

DH doesn't care for the buffet-type food, however, and would rather pay for a sit-down type of cooked-to-order breakfast, so that's why we're looking at other options.

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis last November. Flying in mid afternoon. We enjoyed walking around Bayside to shake off the flight. We also crossed the Miami river and walked around.

As mentioned lots of dining options in Bayside, particularly chains and some fine dining options within walking distance of the hotel.

Can't speak to breakfast.

The hotel was very good and had no problem getting a cab the next morning to the boat. Around $10 or $15 IIRC. Will stay there again next November for out next cruise. Hotel was very clean and staff very pleasant.

Oh I can speak to the taxi question. We left for port on a Saturday, not Sunday like OP was asking, but we walked out the front door of our hotel and there was a hotel worker standing there and asked us if we needed a taxi. As soon as he flagged on down for us about 3 of them pulled up and that was the day of the Miami marathon and there were all the Cruise Passengers in town plus the Marathon people and all the hotels in Downtown were sold out. We left for the port at about 10:30 but we had no problem flagging a taxi at all. I'm not sure how it gets later in the day, but I would think the taxi drivers are used to this.

The Conrad has a restaurant, Artrio and they service breakfast. The menu is right on their website.

You also have many places within walking distance to grab either a sit down restaurant or a quick one. La Provence is a french bakery and it's across the street a few buildings down at the 1060 Brickell Building. Atelier Monnier is another french bakery which is just a few buildings further down. Deli Lane Cafe is in the area.

You can usually get a great price for the Conrad on last minute travel, much lower than their own site.

Stupid question regarding last minute travel. I have never used this site. How do you know what hotel you are booking. I just looked at it. I see you can narrow down and just look at certain areas, but other than that it just gives you a description. If theres a thread for this feel free to direct me there..

Stupid question regarding last minute travel. I have never used this site. How do you know what hotel you are booking. I just looked at it. I see you can narrow down and just look at certain areas, but other than that it just gives you a description. If theres a thread for this feel free to direct me there..

You should be able to join for free. Once you join the club, it will show you the names of the hotels and the prices will be a tad less.

You can also call them and they will tell you the names and the prices.

We have stayed at the IC three times, as we did not have a car and wanted convenience. There restaurants are expensive but the hotel is very nice. We had tapas for a dinner one night and there were flamenco dancers performing. We have had a light breakfast at Starbucks (we are not Starbucks coffee fans). A taxi is easy as there is concierge service ($ for the doorman). A taxi to the port will be about $10 per cab. Bayside is close but as mentioned, walking through the park after dark can be a challenge. We have done it but I did not feel very comfortable. A lot of homeless congregate and sleep there. You could also walk on the sidewalk on the outside of the park, which is probably better lit. Worse case, a taxi would only cost $5 if a driver will take you for such a short ride. We have eaten breakfast at the Latin American café which opens by 8 AM at Bayside on a Sunday. We have always gotten a good rate about $100 from one of the bidding sites or Hotwire, etc. but haven't been there in at least 5 years.

All that being said, for our November cruise, I have the Hampton Inn Bricknell reserved @ $179 including breakfast, parking one night, drinks and the ability to park at a reduced rate plus shuttle to the cruise port (Cruise Critic rate). I found the rate to be much lower with all the perks than other downtown hotels. We have several couples, who will probably book this hotel and who need parking (rates are high in Miami).

We are cruising on the Breeze out of Miami in July and will be flying in the day before. We probably won't arrive until late afternoon, and we are currently trying to decide between the Intercontinental and the Hampton Inn Brickell.

We already know about the Hampton since we've stayed there 3 times. We like the location and like being able to walk around and shop and get a bite to eat in the evening. I like the convenience of the breakfast that is included, but DH is not a fan of the food. Every time we go past the Intercontinental on the way to the port, he always says, "We should stay there next time." I know that lots of people here on CC like the IC, so I'm thinking about it.

I've read lots of Trip Advisor reviews and know that Hampton is still ranked #1 on TA, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has stayed at both the Hampton and IC and can give me the low-down.

It's just the 2 of us, and we'd probably book a room with a view of the bay if we stayed at the IC. I know it's close to Bayside, so we could just walk over there and find something for dinner.

I understand they don't have shuttle service to the port, and I was wondering how easy (or difficult) it is to get a taxi on a Sunday morning when lots of people are trying to do the same. We like to get over to the port kind of early, and we generally try to leave around 10:30 a.m.

Also, does the IC have a restaurant that serves a full breakfast (like cooked-to-order bacon and eggs)?

I've read the IC has a restaurant/bar area and was wondering if there is usually anything much going on, or if it's just the occasional guest wandering in for a drink (like at the Hampton).

Thanks for any insight.

Oh, and just to muddy the water, I was kind of honing in on the IC because we've been past it so often and know the exact location and that it gets good reviews, but I was also looking at the Conrad and the Marriott Marquis, so if anyone has anything to add about either of those properties, I'd be interested. Thanks again.

If your husband is a fan of food skip Bayside.

IC does have a very nice restaurant for dinner. And it does have full service breakfast. You might want to consider a club floor.

I have not stayed at Conrad Hotel but have eaten dinner three different times at Artio. So if you stay there go there for dinner. If you go to Restaurant.Com you can get a certificate for Atrio which will reduce the cost. Wait for when they have specials for the certificates by signing up to receive e mails.

It is very easy to get a Taxi at the IC to go to the port.

Keith

Thanks for any insight.

Oh, and just to muddy the water, I was kind of honing in on the IC because we've been past it so often and know the exact location and that it gets good reviews, but I was also looking at the Conrad and the Marriott Marquis, so if anyone has anything to add about either of those properties, I'd be interested. Thanks again.[/quoteWSe stayed at the IC last year and it was a $10.00 taxi ride to the port. As for the restaurant Toro Toro it is very highly recommended.