My CONQUEST with Carnival from RCL

vision14k

Just off my first Carnival cruise, did a 5-day to Jamaica and Grand Cayman out of Fort Lauderdale on the Conquest.

Background: I’ve only sailed with Royal Caribbean before, on The Harmony of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas. This was my first cruise with Carnival.

Impressions: While I only have this one Carnival cruise to compare with, here are a few things that come to mind:

Food: Overall I found the food on RCL to be better. The only exception is when we ordered the Surf and Turf from the Steakhouse in the main dining room on the last night, that was great! The food wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t good either.

Staff: The staff on the Conquest was as good, if not better in some cases than RCL. I found the wait staff, to include the main dining room and drink servers to be friendly, eager to serve, and accommodating. We didn’t have much interaction with our state room attendant which was the opposite of RCL.

Activities: Hands down Carnival had more to do despite fewer bells and whistles. They just had more things scheduled, at least that we were interested in: especially the multiple comedy shows at night and throughout the week.

Shows: The shows on Conquest weren’t bad but I thought most of the shows we’ve seen on RCL were better productions. There were a couple exceptional female singers on the Conquest.

Crowds: The lines on The Conquest were absolutely terrible!! At breakfast, and lunch we always hit lines of at least 10 minutes it seemed; longer (maybe up 15-20 minutes) for breakfast. When we went for Pizza late night the lines were around the corner and exceeded 15-20 minutes. They constantly ran out of pizza which caused the lines and wait. Even when we sailed on The Harmony, we never experienced lines with RCL even close to this.

Embarkation: Went just as smooth as with RCL, however we were staying in a suite and had priority, so we passed the lines. We pretty much walked right onto the ship after dropping our bags.

Debarkation: We did self-assist and it took forever! The line was gigantic at customs and took about an hour just to get through after getting off the ship. We never experienced this at the RCL terminals.

If you have any questions about how our experience compared in any other areas, let me know!

We cruised RCL for the first time this year on Anthem of the Seas. We normally sail Carnival. I agree with you sum what on the food. The main dining room food was a bit better then Carnival but the specialty restraurants on Carnival are much better. We were disappointed with Jamie OliverS. And Chops was good, but very little vegetables on the menu. We didn't like how it was served. RCL buffets are set up better then Carnival. Although the Conquest class ships are a little squeezed in anyways.

We like the staff better on Carnival. The cruise director made fun of Carnival a few times and found it in poor taste.

Carnival does have more activities. That we are interested in anyways.

RCL blow Carnival away in the main show department.

It's too bad the Conquest was your first Carnival cruise. That class of ship has a crappie layout. Try the Dream Class, Vista, or my favorite class Spirit.

But saying all the negative comments about RCL, I would still definitely sail RCL again. But Carnival deep down is my favorite. I just found we seemed to be on more of a scedule on RCL and wasn't quite so laid back. Maybe if I try a smaller ship on RCL it would be different. I enjoyed your feedback. Luke

I was on the same cruise! Hope you had a good time.

The buffet food was ok, but I found other food like guy's and BlueIguana Cantina breakfast to be much better. And yeah the long pizza lines were annoying.

LOVED the comedy shows.

I was on the same cruise! Hope you had a good time.

The buffet food was ok, but I found other food like guy's and BlueIguana Cantina breakfast to be much better. And yeah the long pizza lines were annoying.

LOVED the comedy shows.

Ohhhh... you were part of THAT singles group!? 😂 Are you the “king”??

I wouldn’t rule Carnival out, but RCL remains my preferred line.

So how would you compare the class of people on each line ? Was Carnival more a party cruise line to you ?

The cruise director made fun of Carnival a few times and found it in poor taste.

That's interesting, because that was our biggest complaint on our one NCL cruise. In our Carnival cruises, we've never heard the CD or any of the staff take shots at another cruise line - although John Heald has thrown a few comments in on his FB page. I think taking shots at other cruise lines is in poor taste, at the end of the day they are all staffed by hard working people that are making an effort to give us great vacations.

The cruise director made fun of Carnival a few times and found it in poor taste.

I think taking shots at other cruise lines is in poor taste.

I never understood why some people find this offensive. I've heard CDs from several lines (including Carnival) take pot shots at other lines, and I always thought they were funny and harmless. I guess it's because I have no personal affinity with any cruise company.

Ohhhh... you were part of THAT singles group!? 😂 Are you the “king”??

Hahaha! No I'm not the king, but I know who you are referring to. Really fun guy to hang around.

Honestly the entire group was great. Lots of new friends. :):)