Adventure of the Seas: Some observations

We just returned from a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. Some observations:

We stayed in a mini suite. As such we were very disappointed in the lack of outlets. There were literally just two. As a family that uses a lot of electronics (two phones, two smart watches, a couple batter backups, and a laptop I need to bring along in case things blow up at the office). Last year we were on a Holland ship that had a lot more outlets.

Holy crap, elevators. Ten minute waits were common. At all hours. We've been on four cruises, never have waited as long as we did on this ship for elevators. Plus two of them were offline all week.

TV issues were annoying. Every single morning all the news channels would freeze. Not just our cabin but it seems everyone's. It never happened at night, just in the mornings when you'd want to catch up for a few minutes. Totally frozen. In addition, their TV offerings really aren't much. Last year's Holland was awesome. Not sure if this is the issue with all of Royal Caribbean or not. The comparison was night and day, 1990's vs. 2018.

I really wish cruise ships had a selection in their store of basic snacks. Sometimes you just get the hankering for a bag of pretzels or M&M's. This ship had absolutely nothing in this regard.

On the positive side....

Our room attendant - Wilson - was absolutely the best. One of the single happiest people I've ever met. He was always available and took great care of us. He also took to our 19 mo old grand daughter which was awesome.

The staff, overall, was very nice. We never came across anyone who didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing.

Not a bad ship, but they do need to figure out a few things as noted above. When we selected this cruise we had changed from Holland since we were going to be taking our adults kids, their spouses and the grand baby. We thought Holland might be too old for them. Turned out that this cruise had more older people (70+, not that there's anything wrong with that) than we had ever seen on Holland. Could be it was because of the destination (New England), not sure.

We stayed in a mini suite. As such we were very disappointed in the lack of outlets. There were literally just two. As a family that uses a lot of electronics (two phones, two smart watches, a couple batter backups, and a laptop I need to bring along in case things blow up at the office). Last year we were on a Holland ship that had a lot more outlets.

Holy crap, elevators. Ten minute waits were common. At all hours. We've been on four cruises, never have waited as long as we did on this ship for elevators. Plus two of them were offline all week.

TV issues were annoying. Every single morning all the news channels would freeze. Not just our cabin but it seems everyone's. It never happened at night, just in the mornings when you'd want to catch up for a few minutes. Totally frozen. In addition, their TV offerings really aren't much. Last year's Holland was awesome. Not sure if this is the issue with all of Royal Caribbean or not. The comparison was night and day, 1990's vs. 2018.

I really wish cruise ships had a selection in their store of basic snacks. Sometimes you just get the hankering for a bag of pretzels or M&M's. This ship had absolutely nothing in this regard.

On the positive side....

Our room attendant - Wilson - was absolutely the best. One of the single happiest people I've ever met. He was always available and took great care of us. He also took to our 19 mo old grand daughter which was awesome.

The staff, overall, was very nice. We never came across anyone who didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing.

Not a bad ship, but they do need to figure out a few things as noted above. When we selected this cruise we had changed from Holland since we were going to be taking our adults kids, their spouses and the grand baby. We thought Holland might be too old for them. Turned out that this cruise had more older people (70+, not that there's anything wrong with that) than we had ever seen on Holland. Could be it was because of the destination (New England), not sure.

Did the alcohol store not have snacks?? Every ship I have been on the alcohol store sells snacks and sundry items.

I know this for a fact as we have had to deal with potty training on ships, and our son or daughter always got to pick a piece of candy from there if they went on the potty.... which was unfortunate as a bag of skittles that would be 2.29 on land is 5.99 on the ship

Edited by rimmit

We stayed in a mini suite. As such we were very disappointed in the lack of outlets. There were literally just two. ...

I take it you did not see the USB charging outlets on the light fixture on each side of the bed.

I take it you did not see the USB charging outlets on the light fixture on each side of the bed.

I've been on the ship twice since the recent work, and didn't notice those ports either time. Wow. Will have to take a closer look next time.

I've been on the ship twice since the recent work, and didn't notice those ports either time. Wow. Will have to take a closer look next time.

We saw them in a JS this past March. I don't know if they are in other categories.

We had the USB outlets in our interior promenade room last month, so I'd assume they've made it to all of the staterooms.

We didn't have them in our interior promenade cabins- 2 cabins deck 8.

We saw them in a JS this past March. I don't know if they are in other categories.

We were in GS's both times (Feb and May), so I would have expected to see them. Had I even looked (and I really am admitting that I never looked).

We just got off the Adventure on Friday 6/8. Yes, it definitely was an older crowd. Probably because school is still in session and the air is not so tropical. We also had the same wall light fixture, and no USBs. OMG I agree about the elevators, that was frustrating that so many elevators were "down" at the same time. Also, the TV drove us nuts. Trying to watch a movie late at night was impossible. It would "freeze" for no apparent reason. Thankfully I brought a baggie of veggie straws and a baggie of pretzels from home to snack on. The "General Store" is sparse on snacks and sundries.

Turned out that this cruise had more older people (70+, not that there's anything wrong with that) than we had ever seen on Holland. Could be it was because of the destination (New England), not sure.

It's because you cruised during school.

We just returned from a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas.

<snip>

Turned out that this cruise had more older people (70+, not that there's anything wrong with that) than we had ever seen on Holland. Could be it was because of the destination (New England), not sure.

We've been on eight or nine Royal cruises, all out of NJ and FL. The New England / Canada cruise had the highest average age of any by far. Strangely there was also a newlywed couple in their 20s on that cruise as well. They took some ribbing.

We've been on eight or nine Royal cruises, all out of NJ and FL. The New England / Canada cruise had the highest average age of any by far. Strangely there was also a newlywed couple in their 20s on that cruise as well. They took some ribbing.
We'll be on the June 29th sailing to New England and Canada, and also on the July 6th sailing to Florida and the Bahamas. It will be interesting to see the difference in the mix for the two weeks. I've always assumed the first leg would skew older. Our group will certainly contribute, as we're in our early 50s, and my parents in their early 70s. Our 18 & 21 year old boys will help balance things out. Lol

We'll be on the June 29th sailing to New England and Canada, and also on the July 6th sailing to Florida and the Bahamas. It will be interesting to see the difference in the mix for the two weeks. I've always assumed the first leg would skew older. Our group will certainly contribute, as we're in our early 50s, and my parents in their early 70s. Our 18 & 21 year old boys will help balance things out. Lol

Pre-emptive wave. I'll be on the 29th sailing with you :cool:

We'll be skewing the age downwards with a 9 year old. Last day of school here is the 22nd.

On the positive side....

We were on this cruise and the May 25th to the Bahamas. Not that I'm older than dirt (lol), but I think there is a difference with the demographics on the Canada/NE cruises with an older crowd.

How could I forget about the elevators being so slow. Sometimes we just got in and rode it until we got to where we wanted to be.

Noticed the TV go in freeze mode usually when coming into port and at night not that there was anything interesting. The channel selections on Royal have always been terrible. These were actually a little better. Carnival used to have Direct TV which we loved but they are doing away with it and turning to probably these same channels.

We had a fantastic waiter Vijay and cabin steward Patterson on deck 7 during our back to back cruises and we thought the entire staff and crew on this ship were awesome. Never encountered any rude staff.

Here are some of my pet peeves: (1) door slammers all day and night (late) very annoying; (2) people who need to group together outside an elevator when you are trying to get off and have to go around them with a walker. You know what if you need to do this move out of the access areas to have your conversation; and (3) my favorite listening to folks call it a boat - it's a "SHIP" not a "BOAT" and there is a difference.

Theresa

Pre-emptive wave. I'll be on the 29th sailing with you :cool:

We'll be skewing the age downwards with a 9 year old. Last day of school here is the 22nd.

On the same cruise with 3 teen girls 16, 17 & 18. Thank goodness they have their own cabin. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We were on 6/1 cruise in JS and had the new lights with USB outlets. Be careful with the new lights, with the little light that swings out. My cabinmate hit his head on it. Luckily he just had a bruise on his forehead.

Edited by hatetotan

Hoping our kids meet up- I have a 21 yo girl and 18 yo boy going as well! (and 14 year old also)