Are solo cruisers being discriminated by CUNARD?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:39 AM.
NYC
3,800 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by rebeccalouiseagain
Actually in response to the post about dining alone on NCL- One of the great things is the interaction with the solo passengers. You run into other single passengers in the studio lounge, which was quiet and there really were not kids in there. Only once was a tiny four year in there and he was quiet and just walked through with an adult. So I don't think that one has to worry about that. You can only get into the Lounge with your room key- so anyone coming in would have to be accompanied by a studio passenger. There is a group meet up - every night at 5PM in the studio lounge- led by a dedicated crew member (part of the activities staff). From there the entire group dines together. I did this twice on my cruise, but it was available to passengers every night. Sometimes I didn't want to eat at 5:30- so that's why I didn't go, but it was great fun when I did. Many of the single passengers hung out with each other throughout the cruise- so it was easy to meet other singles and if you wanted to dine with one of them- they would be happy to comply. NCL is very casual, but I really had a good time. I like all the lines- each offers a different experience. Having the solo cabins is a real plus though- makes it more affordable for sure.
Now I would see that as a limitation as it's singles dining with other singles rather than mingled with couples. That's why I like the assigned dining on Cunard. Fortunately not all cruise lines are alike so we have choices. One person's paradise is another person's hell.
Timonium, Maryland
3,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
By no means is NCL paradise. I enjoyed my cruise. I can always find fun things to do on any ship, but you get what you pay for. NCL is crowded and casual, but, bottom line- it is fun. For someone on a budget- it's a good choice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 5/14/17 Regal Princess, 3/19/17 Holland America Veendam Canada/New England 4/28/16-5/7/16, Regal Princess 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean, Holland America Maasdam Canada New England 8/15/15, Celebrity Summit Bermuda 7/26/15 Star Princess Alaska 7/13/15 Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises: Celebrity Summit New England//Canada 6/27/17, QM2 Cunard 7/28/17, Explorer of the Seas Seattle to Sydney 10/06/17
[/size]
Home
2,012 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by rebeccalouiseagain
By no means is NCL paradise. I enjoyed my cruise. I can always find fun things to do on any ship, but you get what you pay for. NCL is crowded and casual, but, bottom line- it is fun. For someone on a budget- it's a good choice.
I am glad you enjoy NCL solo cabins and interaction with other solo. I myself prefer a larger cabin, something which I consider the standard cabin. Sometimes I would like to interact with other passengers but sometimes I prefer to be on my own. In this sense, I would not like to have a special area just for solo cruisers. But I can understand that some people might find it attractive.
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Getting back 'On Topic' I'm just surprised that this boards two intrepid sole travellers haven't yet commented.

I travelled solo on QM2 in November 2013 and certainly didn't pay anything like the mark-ups being touted...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com...ve-blog-day-1/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com...g-the-summary/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

1,477 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Booked a saver fare from NY for next month and our son booked a solo saver fare it's only £170 cheaper than our cabin for two so where is the flight reduction on the solo fare it's normally £300pp..?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chicago, IL, USA
2,007 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Hi,

I think Cunard is a good line for singles. The 175% price for solo travelers is better than most lines. I have cruised aboard the QM2 twice during the past year as a solo traveler. For both cruises, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a new single ocean view stateroom. In September 2016, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 2 for a Canada/New England cruise. In April 2017, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 3 for a World Cruise segment (Hong Kong to Singapore). The staterooms in both categories are beautiful and very conveniently located. The staterooms on Deck 2 have high ceilings and the staterooms on Deck 3 have two very large windows.

In my experience, Cunard passengers are very friendly. I have met many interesting people during my Cunard cruises.

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
554 days - 87 cruises - 64 ships

Royal Caribbean (124 days, 22 cruises); Princess (120 days, 18 cruises); Cunard (105 days, 17 cruises); Norwegian (53 days, 8 cruises); Celebrity (51 days, 8 cruises); Crystal (43 days, 5 cruises); Holland America (38 days, 5 cruises); Other (20 days, 4 cruises)

Future cruises: Crown Princess, Feb. 23, 2018 (8-day Southern Caribbean); Emerald Princess, May 9, 2018 (4-day Pacific Coastal); Queen Victoria, Sep. 22, 2018 (7-day Mediterranean); Royal Princess, May 4, 2019 (7-day Wine Country Coastal)

Areas cruised to: Alaska; Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand); Australia; Bahamas; Bermuda; Canada/New England; Caribbean; Greek Islands; Hawaii; Mediterranean; Mexican Riviera; Norway; Pacific Coastal; Panama Canal; Scandinavia/Russia; Spain/Portugal; Tahiti; Transatlantic Crossings
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by seacruise9
Hi,

I think Cunard is a good line for singles. The 175% price for solo travelers is better than most lines. I have cruised aboard the QM2 twice during the past year as a solo traveler. For both cruises, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a new single ocean view stateroom. In September 2016, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 2 for a Canada/New England cruise. In April 2017, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 3 for a World Cruise segment (Hong Kong to Singapore). The staterooms in both categories are beautiful and very conveniently located. The staterooms on Deck 2 have high ceilings and the staterooms on Deck 3 have two very large windows.

In my experience, Cunard passengers are very friendly. I have met many interesting people during my Cunard cruises.

Chuck
Good morning Chuck.

Not too dissimilar to my experience when I solo cruised.

I had booked one of those

and was upgraded to Britannia Club...

As you say, most passengers are very friendly and I never had a dull moment...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com...ve-blog-day-2/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

berkshire
1,131 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Solent Richard
Getting back 'On Topic' I'm just surprised that this boards two intrepid sole travellers haven't yet commented.

I travelled solo on QM2 in November 2013 and certainly didn't pay anything like the mark-ups being touted...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com...ve-blog-day-1/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com...g-the-summary/
Oops SR, I'm at Sea at the moment and only just clocked in ... Yes quite right, me too. I've never paid any more than the usual 175% on Cunard , and of course as a seasoned Cunard guest, I've been known to have been offered an upgraded or two ..........three or even four ...
Lancashire. UK
272 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Bell Boy
Oops SR, I'm at Sea at the moment and only just clocked in ... Yes quite right, me too. I've never paid any more than the usual 175% on Cunard , and of course as a seasoned Cunard guest, I've been known to have been offered an upgraded or two ..........three or even four ...
Don't know how you are so lucky with upgrades.... I am platinum and usually travel solo. Not had an upgrade yet!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Cassandra14
Don't know how you are so lucky with upgrades.... I am platinum and usually travel solo. Not had an upgrade yet!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Good morning Cassandra.

I guess one of mine and Bell Boy's secrets is that we do mix socially and aren't afraid to offer our own hospitality on the odd occasion.

We are certainly never anonymous when onboard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

3,505 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Solent Richard
Good morning Cassandra.

I guess one of mine and Bell Boy's secrets is that we do mix socially and aren't afraid to offer our own hospitality on the odd occasion.

We are certainly never anonymous when onboard.
Some people like to be anonymous.
Mississauga, Canada
1,350 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
The QE2 and most, if not all, ships of similar vintage had many small single cabins. I have travelled solo only once - QE2 in 1989 - and booked a small inside cabin (Mauretania dining) at a very reasonable cost. It was only slightly more than the pp double fare. There were over 100 inside cabins in Mauretania and a lot fewer outside cabins in all four restaurant categories.

My mother accompanied us on a few cruises on P&O's Canberra and was able to book an inside single at reasonable cost.

The recently added single staterooms on Cunard's ships are quite large and priced accordingly. Having too many small singles will limit flexibility (the traditional single cabin could not be used as a double if not booked as a single) but it would be great for solo travellers if modern ships had at least a few small single cabins.
Home
2,012 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by david,Mississauga

The recently added single staterooms on Cunard's ships are quite large and priced accordingly. Having too many small singles will limit flexibility (the traditional single cabin could not be used as a double if not booked as a single) but it would be great for solo travellers if modern ships had at least a few small single cabins.
Actually as a solo traveler, I would not like a "small single cabin". I would not like a small room anywhere just because I am on my own. What as a solo passenger would seem fair to me is that a cruise line allows solo passengers to book the normal sized cabins and does not charge us more than 200%. And I would certainly prefer cruise lines which offer solo supplements lower than the 200%.
Mandurah West Australia
15 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
I'm a solo traveller and those supplements are a killer. I am also in Australia and the airfares are a shocker too. However some companies do great deals for solo travellers- Tauck don't charge a supplement on river cruises so long as you go on the lower deck (no balcony) and more and more ships are putting in solo cabins- you still seem to pay more but not 200% you just have to book really early, sometimes before even the cruise is scheduled. I wouldn't share for anything, having paid all that $ I wouldn't want my holiday ruined by a snorer, cougher, persistent throat clearer....... No bargains for us I'm afraid, but I choose my holidays based on destination. I spend little time in the room, so I don't need a balcony or suite.
Mandurah West Australia
15 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by seacruise9
Hi,

Chuck
Gosh Chuck I wish I'd know that about QM2. I've book a single stateroom next April 21 days Dubai to Southampton, and I think the 2 windows would be much nicer that the picture window I'm getting on deck 5.
Sydney, Australia
1,497 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
For a single travelling with a couple, it can be more cost effective and a nicer experience to book a QG suite. Instead of booking two separate Britannia staterooms (2 in the first stateroom and 1 in the second stateroom), I ended up booking a Q4 penthouse for not much more than the price of two regular balconies. The third person is priced at half the cost of the other two passengers. The overall price for QG ended up being approximately £900 more than booking in Britannia. Given the much higher quality I've experienced with Grills, it is worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises:

Past cruises:

Golden Princess Australia Coastal Apr 17; Diamond Princess SE Asia Dec 16 / Jan 17; QM2 Tranatlantic WC segment Jan 16; Queen Elizabeth back to back Canaries Dec 15; Diamond Princess Coastal Dec 14; Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14; Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14; QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13; QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13; Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06
Mandurah West Australia
15 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
They are a cheaper cruiseline and they have an advantage that they don't have children at all. I went on a cruise up to the faroes with them on the Marco Polo last year and it was fine. My single cabin however, which cost the same as my two travel companions paid together in their twin room, was no more than a badly designed cupboard which could not have held anything other than a slender single bed. Happily it was only a week, and the ports of call made it worthwhile.
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by porthibbie
Have a look at this Cruise company , They get a good write up for solo cruisers ,cost is reasonable.

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/on.../solo-cruisers.
Originally posted by WAsplasher
They are a cheaper cruiseline and they have an advantage that they don't have children at all. I went on a cruise up to the faroes with them on the Marco Polo last year and it was fine. My single cabin however, which cost the same as my two travel companions paid together in their twin room, was no more than a badly designed cupboard which could not have held anything other than a slender single bed. Happily it was only a week, and the ports of call made it worthwhile.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

There is no comparison between Cunard and C&M whatsoever.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.